Football-Pre- season college football top 10

faba

There's one very important distinction in these preseason rankings: these are based on how good the teams are going into the season and NOT how they're going to finish.

Some teams have easier schedules than others, some get tougher road games and some will need a little bit of time to jell meaning they might be better than their final record might indicate. Going into the year, these are how good they are from No. 1 through 119.

1-10 | 11-25 | 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-119

1. USC

All the superstars return on offense, including QB Matt Leinart, behind a line with six players with starting experience returning. Injuries won't be much of an issue as the attack has talented, all-star quality backups at every skill position and some decent prospects on the line. The defense won't be the killer it was last year when it led the nation in run defense and finished sixth overall, but it won't be bad. The loss of star tackles Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson, along with linebackers Lofa Tatupa and Matt Grootegoed, leaves gaping holes to fill for the run defense, but the secondary should be outstanding. The loss of offensive coordinator Norm Chow will be the big storyline, but there's no reason to think the offense can't still be the most potent in college football by a large margin if, IF, everyone remains hungry.

Relative strength: Quarterback Relative Weakness: Linebacker

Star of the team: QB Matt Leinart, Sr. Key game: October 1 at Arizona State

2. LSU

There are only two things keeping the nation's most talented team from the top spot: uncertainty at quarterback, and new head coach Les Miles. Is Miles ready for prime time? He had moderate success at Oklahoma State, but he didn't set the world on fire. (Then again, the same could be said for Nick Saban when he was at Michigan State.) The assistants are there, like defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, to keep the same sort of butt-kicking fire there was under Saban, while Miles will have to prove early he can handle the pressure if the team isn't rocking and rolling. Second, will the three-way battle between JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux be settled enough by September 3rd that there won't be a controversy if the winner isn't razor sharp from day one? The situation is the difference between the Rose Bowl and not playing in the SEC title game.

Relative strength: Running back Relative Weakness: Quarterback

Star of the team: DT Kyle Williams, Sr. Key game: Oct. 22 vs. Auburn

3. Tennessee

The skill players are among the best the program has seen in several years, and the defensive front seven will be unbelievable. There are issues on special teams and in the secondary, but the Vols won't be as bad in either area as they were last year. Eight starters (and that doesn't include LB Kevin Simon) return to a defense that will be among the best in America. If Simon's injured knee is fine, the front seven will finish among the top five in the country and will be one of the leaders in sacks and quarterback hurries. So crank up the pressure and jack up the expectations. This team can handle it.

Relative strength: Defensive line Relative Weakness: Special teams

Star of the team: DT Jesse Mahelona, Sr. Key game: Sept. 17 at Florida

4. Miami (FL)

The Canes have one of the nation's best defenses with a back seven to die for. The only concern is with a run defense that was surprisingly soft last year allowing 155 yards per game. If that's tightened up, which it should be with one of Miami's best linebacking corps ever, this will be a killer with 11 players returning who started six or more games last year. That doesn't include superstar Devin Hester, who'll likely take over the full-time job at one of the corners. The offense has the potential to be more explosive than it was last year if Kyle Wright becomes the quarterback everyone has expected him to be. In other words, Miami should be slightly better than it was last year. A slightly better team wins the ACC title.

Relative strength: Linebacker Relative Weakness: Running back

Star of the team: OT Eric Winston, Sr. Key game: November 5th at Virginia Tech

5. Ohio State

With nine starters returning on each side of the ball, the nation's best linebacking corps, one of the country's best 1-2 receiving punches in Santonio Holmes and Ted Ginn Jr., and size, speed and talent at every spot, there's no reason to believe the Buckeyes can't be in the mix for the Rose Bowl. The defense has the potential to be one of the nation's best if a second corner can emerge on the other side of Ashton Youboty and a pass rusher can start to wreak havoc on the offensive line. The offense will be better with a veteran front line and two good quarterbacks (Troy Smith and Justin Zwick) to lead the way.

Relative strength: Linebacker Relative Weakness: Running back

Star of the team: WR/KR Ted Ginn Jr., Soph. Key game: September 24th vs. Iowa

6. Georgia

To show you what a factory head coach Mark Richt has created, this is a team good enough to finally get the job done despite losing the NCAA's all-time winningest quarterback in David Greene, two NFL receivers in Reggie Brown and Fred Gibson, and three heart-and-soul defensive players in Thomas Davis, Odell Thurman, and the incomparable David Pollack. The running game should be among the best in the SEC with five great tailbacks and an offensive line taller than most college basketball starting fives. The defense will plug in the holes, and the coaching staff will be great as always. Now it's time for Georgia to finish the drill and get to Pasadena. But just winning the SEC title wouldn't be all that bad a second prize.

Relative strength: Offensive line Relative Weakness: Receiver

Star of the team: OG Max Jean-Gilles, Sr. Key game: Oct. 8 at Tennessee

7. Michigan

Chad Henne and Mike Hart should go from being great true freshmen to superstar sophomores, the lines are loaded with All-Big Ten stars, and the questionable defensive back seven won't be that bad. Now it's up to head coach Lloyd Carr to get this group to do something it hasn't done under his watch since the national title year: overachieve. If the Wolverines can come out with an angry, hungry attitude and can gear the machine up week in and week out, it might be a third straight trip to Pasadena.

Relative strength: Defensive line Relative Weakness: Secondary

Star of the team: RB Mike Hart, Soph. Key game: October 22nd at Iowa

8. Florida

All eyes will be on the offense as Utah-like numbers are expected now that Urban Meyer has big-time, next-level athletes to work with. QB Chris Leak has taken to the attack and should put up video game numbers with a deep, fast, receiving corps to work with and a great line to operate behind. The defense isn't full of superstars, but outside of a second corner to play across from the ball-hawking Demetrice Webb, there isn't anything to worry about.

Relative strength: Receiver Relative Weakness: Secondary

Star of the team: QB Chris Leak, Jr. Key game: Sept. 17 vs. Tennessee

9. Texas

The lines are even better than the dominant ones the team enjoyed last year with (if everything breaks the right way) as many as four NFL first rounders in offensive tackles Justin Blalock and Jonathan Scott along with Rodrique Wright and Larry Dibbles on the defensive side. The ends and guards are hardly chopped liver as they'll all receive All-Big XII honors in one way or another. With the lines set, everything else will fall into place. If Vince Young takes the next step up in the progression and builds on his Rose Bowl performance, he'll be the one to carry this loaded team to places Major Applewhite, Chris Simms and Chance Mock couldn't. Can Texas thrive in the role of favorite? It remains to be seen.

Relative strength: Offensive line Relative Weakness: Receiver

Star of the team: QB Vince Young, Jr. Key game: Sept. 10 at Ohio State

10. Virginia Tech

This hasn't exactly been a program that handles the weight of high expectations well, so it'll be interesting to see how it deals with being one of the favorites for the ACC title and being on the short list of possible Rose Bowl teams. With Miami and Georgia Tech coming to Blacksburg, no Florida State, and the toughest conference road games at NC State, Maryland and Virginia, there's no reason to expect anything less than another ACC championship.

Relative strength: Defensive line Relative Weakness: Offensive line

Star of the team: CB Jimmy Williams, Sr. Key game: November 5th vs. Miami

USC is loaded with talent again- it will be interesting to see how they do without Norm Chow running the offense

USC should occupy the first five spots on this list. They are far and away the best team in the nation. As for Tennessee and Georgia being on here, they always sh*t the bed early, and Texas will lose too because their quarterback is functionally retarded. Miami will struggle as well with no running game and a fresh QB who sat and watched Brock Berlin choke all last year. He'll have deer-in-the-headlights episodes all year trying to erase those memories. Not having Oklahoma on this list is ridiculous. They have one of the best young coaches in the NCAA and the best overall collegiate player in Peterson to carry the rock. Peterson may have 2500 yards on the ground this year and losing Jason White at QB is actually an upgrade, especially in big games. And Va Tech? please. Every year they have great athletes but Frank Beamer finds a way to lose to a bad team along the line every year.

It is hard to believe the idrespect that Iowa gets, when it is more cliqueish to pick Michigan and Ohio State.

Pre-season polls for college football are about worthless and only serve to skew the final polls in ways that they shouldn't

No doubt. Lloyd Carr will never win a damned thing. Kirk Ferentz is really showing how to do things the right way.

I have to agree with Scott Dierking Iowa is a team that should be one of the top teams this year

I see the SEC teams knocking each other off.

Miami has a new QB and anybody is better than Berlin.

I will be interested in seeing how the Big East plays out now. Adding Louisville is a move in the right direction, but they have lost a lot of star power and it will be difficult taking any of their teams seriously if they are up for contention.

To me, that league is nothing but a glorified Mountain West Conference now.

I will be interested in seeing how the Big East plays out now. Adding Louisville is a move in the right direction, but they have lost a lot of star power and it will be difficult taking any of their teams seriously if they are up for contention.

Rutgers and Schiano has to be on the hot seat - last year's schedule was a opportunity to possibly get a bowl game. This year they have to show improvement in the record and not just Schiano saying they are improved.

Scott, I live in SU country and, believe me, everybody around her acknoweldges that. The hope is that in five years Rutgers, SU, Louisville, West Virginia and CIncinnati will all be on the right track. The team that gets burned in all of this is Louisville, who is really the only team that had a chance to be nationally competitive. Now they'll get 600 yards on offense against SU and nobody will blink. Basically, they traded football prominence for a basketball super-conference.

Scott, I live in SU country and, believe me, everybody around her acknoweldges that. The hope is that in five years Rutgers, SU, Louisville, West Virginia and CIncinnati will all be on the right track. The team that gets burned in all of this is Louisville, who is really the only team that had a chance to be nationally competitive. Now they'll get 600 yards on offense against SU and nobody will blink. Basically, they traded football prominence for a basketball super-conference.

Yup, the Big East is just a blip on the radar.

I really can't understand what Louisville did. That program will have a real difficult time recruiting. I think teh benefactors of thsi will be the Boston Colleges and Penn States of the bigger conferences who will get more local recruits. I can't imagine of any national television package that will have the Big East in contract, besides an occassionalm ESPN Noon kick off.

As for Rutgers, what recruits will they get now. They are only promised less exposure. It is hard to believe that was a respectable football team in teh early nineties.

UCONN may be the preeminent BIg East Northeast power , now.

Yeah Scott, I agree. Great points. Like I said, I think they did this as a move for five years down the road. Meanwhile the basketball money will pump dollars into the conference. No doubt Tranghese will attempt to force a network into taking on Big East football as part of a package deal in order to get the rights to the basketball games. As sh*tty as a Rutgers-West Virginia football tilt is, some network will air it for the right to put on a Louisville-SU hoops match-up in January.

Archived