Giants Mara wants us to share a stadium in Jersey

faba

MARA: WE WANT JETS IN NEW STADIUM

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOHN MARA

Extends Jets Giant offer.

Email Archives

Print Reprint

July 8, 2005 -- John Mara, the Giants executive vice president and driving force behind the construction of a proposed 80,000-seat stadium, said this week that he intends to speak with the Jets "very soon" about forming a partnership that would result in both teams playing in a new state-of-the-art facility at the Meadowlands.

Back on April 14, the team and the state of New Jersey announced plans for the new stadium, at an estimated cost of $750 million, to be financed solely by the Giants and likely ready for the start of the 2009 season. With the crushing of the Jets bid to build a new home on the West Side of Manhattan, the Jets will need a place to play, and sharing the financial burden with the Giants seems like one of the only remaining options.

"We want them here," Mara reiterated. "Financially it makes no sense for us to be in separate buildings."

Mara estimated that a schematic model of the new stadium should be available in about a month. The primary initial focus is to determine what the inside of the stadium will look like and Mara promised that the entire package will "be very distinctive."

Mara said he also plans to soon meet with representatives from Mills/Mack-Cali, the developer in charge of the Xanadu mega-mall project at the Meadowlands.

Issues need to be resolved, as the Giants maintain that having the Xanadu retail and entertainment complex open on game days will lead to nightmarish traffic problems. The two sides have yet to come to an agreement on scheduling.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! #-o

1) Jets belong in New York (Queens is fine)

2) Traffic, traffic, traffic because of the mall

3) No more sharing a stadium with with the Midgets

it'll never be built in NY.....

jersey will continue to be our home....

It's official. I don't care where they build the stadium any longer, wether it be Queens or NJ under one condition.

WE SHARE IT WITH NO ONE!

I AGREE....but if they stay in jersey the only way they have seperate stadiums is if the jets build in western jersey...

which i would love..lol..

I AGREE....but if they stay in jersey the only way they have seperate stadiums is if the jets build in western jersey...

which i would love..lol..

What is the difference if we share? The stadium will have rotating ads, and you won't even know it's a shared stadium.

We need to get past this name game and just realize... for 500M, a new building state of the art, can be built or we can try to spend 2B in NYC.. Its just good business to do it this way. (sharing)

If this is gonna be the deal, past time to move the Jets training facility out of Hofstra to either NJ or Westechester or Rockland. It is pretty silly to travel that much from their office(though they stay at downtown hotel on West Street in lower Manhattan on the night before games) . The West Side is dead; do it and be done with it.

If we remain in New Jersey, at least change the team name to the NY/NJ Jets or just the New Jersey Jets. Why try to be something we're not if the Jets are NEVER going to come home? #-o
Woody commented on this last week & said his people were still listening to options/offers from NJ , although they were taking a break for a while but even "IF" things DID FALL THROUGH ON THE NYSCC they he would "NEVER" change the name of the team to the NJ JETS,they would always be the NY JETS while "HE" owned the team ,it would always be the NY JETS while "HE" owns the team .Which means 1 of 2 things which means 1 of 2 things (1) He has no plans to move the team out of the NY area and even if they go to NJ their still the NY JETS or (2)If this deal does fall through and the team does consider moving else where such as L.A. as some have mentioned here "(WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT ,& NEVER EXPECT TO SEE HAPPEN IN MY LIFETIME & I EXPECT TO LIVE A LOT LONGER)That he`ll being selling the team first & not be part of that move...

If we remain in New Jersey, at least change the team name to the NY/NJ Jets or just the New Jersey Jets. Why try to be something we're not if the Jets are NEVER going to come home? #-o
Woody commented on this last week & said his people were still listening to options/offers from NJ , although they were taking a break for a while but even "IF" things DID FALL THROUGH ON THE NYSCC they he would "NEVER" change the name of the team to the NJ JETS,they would always be the NY JETS while "HE" owned the team ,it would always be the NY JETS while "HE" owns the team .Which means 1 of 2 things which means 1 of 2 things (1) He has no plans to move the team out of the NY area and even if they go to NJ their still the NY JETS or (2)If this deal does fall through and the team does consider moving else where such as L.A. as some have mentioned here "(WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT ,& NEVER EXPECT TO SEE HAPPEN IN MY LIFETIME & I EXPECT TO LIVE A LOT LONGER)That he`ll being selling the team first & not be part of that move...

Why is it we have to be the only team in the NFL to A) not have a home of our own and B) not get to play in our own city.

It is just disgraceful.

My real question is, if the Giants want to share, we don't the NEW YORK Giants share something in NEW YORK?

BZ

Why is it we have to be the only team in the NFL to A) not have a home of our own and B) not get to play in our own city.

It is just disgraceful.

My real question is, if the Giants want to share, we don't the NEW YORK Giants share something in NEW YORK?

BZ

It is just disgraceful.

BZ

(A) cause it makes financial sense it`s better for the fans (cheaper PSL ) and better for the owners 1/2 the cost in pretty much everything related to building and maintaining the place (B) NJ offered very good deal to the GIANTS to stay right where there at had Woody made a serious offer at bringing the GIANTS over before NJ had made the extention deal and upgradeing offer to the GIANTS THEY MAY HAVE gone to the westside with us

It is just disgraceful.

BZ

(A) cause it makes financial sense it`s better for the fans (cheaper PSL ) and better for the owners 1/2 the cost in pretty much everything related to building and maintaining the place (B) NJ offered very good deal to the GIANTS to stay right where there at had Woody made a serious offer at bringing the GIANTS over before NJ had made the extention deal and upgradeing offer to the GIANTS THEY MAY HAVE gone to the westside with us

The only part of that statement that is true, is that it is half the price for the teams. They might have higher PSLs to make back the money they they are NOT earning on the rest of the activities in the stadium. It is not better for over 50% of the fans that have to get to Jersey through the tunnels of NY, pay the tolls and sit in traffic. It is not better for the environment as 90% of fans drive cars.

It is not better for New Yorkers who lose all of that tax revenue and jobs to New Jersey.

It is not better for Woody who will make less money.

The only person it is better for is New Jersey who gets to get all of the jobs, all of the tax revenue and all of the tolls. As a New Yorker, who works in NYC and lives in NYC and pays NY, USA & NYC taxes I think New Jersey has already has enough breaks from New York economy.

BZ

The only part of that statement that is true, is that it is half the price for the teams. They might have higher PSLs to make back the money they they are NOT earning on the rest of the activities in the stadium. It is not better for over 50% of the fans that have to get to Jersey through the tunnels of NY, pay the tolls and sit in traffic. It is not better for the environment as 90% of fans drive cars.

It is not better for New Yorkers who lose all of that tax revenue and jobs to New Jersey.

It is not better for Woody who will make less money.

The only person it is better for is New Jersey who gets to get all of the jobs, all of the tax revenue and all of the tolls. As a New Yorker, who works in NYC and lives in NYC and pays NY, USA & NYC taxes I think New Jersey has already has enough breaks from New York economy.

BZ

It is just disgraceful.

BZ

The Meadowlands is IN THE NYC MARKET. Many teams dont actually play in the city they are named for.

New York doesnt deserve the revenue from the Jets after shooting down the new stadium. Screw that big cesspool

It is just disgraceful.

BZ

The Meadowlands is IN THE NYC MARKET. Many teams dont actually play in the city they are named for.

New York doesnt deserve the revenue from the Jets after shooting down the new stadium. Screw that big cesspool

do not count out the WSS yet! If The current city council votes to re zone the area for the stadium, it shall be a done deal! Lets just wait and see how this plays out before we accept second class citizenship forever! SHARING a stadium is NOT in our teams best interestes. If so, why would WOODY spend so much money trying to leave? THINK ABOUT IT! You heard it here first! The financing is in place and WOODY did spend 54 million dollars to LEAVE NJ. Why should he throw that money away? And he is a businessman, who thinks he would just throw it away? [-X

do not count out the WSS yet! If The current city council votes to re zone the area for the stadium, it shall be a done deal! Lets just wait and see how this plays out before we accept second class citizenship forever! SHARING a stadium is NOT in our teams best interestes. If so, why would WOODY spend so much money trying to leave? THINK ABOUT IT! You heard it here first! The financing is in place and WOODY did spend 54 million dollars to LEAVE NJ. Why should he throw that money away? And he is a businessman, who thinks he would just throw it away? [-X

New York, didn't shoot down the stadium, one a$$hole politician did.

Sure the Meadowlands is in the New York market, but it doesn't bring any revenue back to New York, it goes 100% to New Jersey.

BZ

Sure the Meadowlands is in the New York market, but it doesn't bring any revenue back to New York, it goes 100% to New Jersey.

BZ

BZ

Who cares if NY gets the revenue. They dont want to pay their share to have the Jets in NY

BZ

Who cares if NY gets the revenue. They dont want to pay their share to have the Jets in NY

That is just false. A handful of politicians does not make up "New York" as a whole. Also, who is to say what the fair share is? 300 million? 600 million? 2 billion (#7 line)?

No matter how this goes down the City and State will help out.

BZ

That is just false. A handful of politicians does not make up "New York" as a whole. Also, who is to say what the fair share is? 300 million? 600 million? 2 billion (#7 line)?

No matter how this goes down the City and State will help out.

BZ

It is just disgraceful.

BZ

Wrong Again my friend,

The Cowboys do not play in Dallas, The Redskins Do Not Play in Washington DC....

NYC would be a traffic nightmare.

It is just disgraceful.

BZ

Wrong Again my friend,

The Cowboys do not play in Dallas, The Redskins Do Not Play in Washington DC....

NYC would be a traffic nightmare.

Orchard Park isn't in Buffalo.

Foxboro isn't Boston.

Joe Robbie is barely in Miami.

The Lions only recently moved back to Detroit.

The Skins don't play in DC.

The Cardinals won't play in Phoenix until their new stadium is done.

They aren't moving to LA, unless Woody can sell the NFL to Mexicans and beachgoers( which has failed twice already) and he has the burning desire to see his team ignored and blacked out ratehr than sold out forever.

The West Side is probably dead.It was a good effort, but it isn't happening because NY is run by antibusiness morons like Sheldon Silver and Joe Bruno. Way to go guys-wait until Wall Street realizes with broadband and telecommunciations technology they don't need to be here to pay your ridiculous taxes and be a target for terrorists.And enjoy your railyard producing no tax revenue nor construction jobs at all.

Make the effin' best of it with the Maras( who are good business people) and the Jints and deal with it. So they don't get to make as much money, bhut still gets a serious pile.Woody wont' starve. And like any NFL owner he has an ego, so I doubt he's selling.

Please -enough with these LA/West Side threads. It's gettin' to be re-goddamned-diculous. Same sheet, different thread.

Orchard Park isn't in Buffalo.

Foxboro isn't Boston.

Joe Robbie is barely in Miami.

The Lions only recently moved back to Detroit.

The Skins don't play in DC.

The Cardinals won't play in Phoenix until their new stadium is done.

They aren't moving to LA, unless Woody can sell the NFL to Mexicans and beachgoers( which has failed twice already) and he has the burning desire to see his team ignored and blacked out ratehr than sold out forever.

The West Side is probably dead.It was a good effort, but it isn't happening because NY is run by antibusiness morons like Sheldon Silver and Joe Bruno. Way to go guys-wait until Wall Street realizes with broadband and telecommunciations technology they don't need to be here to pay your ridiculous taxes and be a target for terrorists.And enjoy your railyard producing no tax revenue nor construction jobs at all.

Make the effin' best of it with the Maras( who are good business people) and the Jints and deal with it. So they don't get to make as much money, bhut still gets a serious pile.Woody wont' starve. And like any NFL owner he has an ego, so I doubt he's selling.

Please -enough with these LA/West Side threads. It's gettin' to be re-goddamned-diculous. Same sheet, different thread.

What he meant is that he'll never move the team operation to New Jersey which he would have to do if the Jets went partners with the Giants. They will be in New York at a Queens stadium or a west side stadium...The only people talking about a shared stadium are the Giants and the New Jersey press.

What he meant is that he'll never move the team operation to New Jersey which he would have to do if the Jets went partners with the Giants. They will be in New York at a Queens stadium or a west side stadium...The only people talking about a shared stadium are the Giants and the New Jersey press.

why are the JETS only the 25th best team financially in the NFL and the GIAINTS 23rd? NJ is NOT NYC. Put the JETS in NYC and they will zoom to the top of the heap, as the song goes! Why are the NETS desperately trying to leave NJ? Why don't the DEVILS make money? Where is the public transportation there? Who wants to go there when NYC is so close by?

Archived