NY Jets Guy

Second stab at one of these... Enjoy!

Notable Cuts:

Barton

Barret

McCairens

Dyson

Clarke

Robertson (I would like to see them re-work a new contract with him.. and think they will try. It probably won't work out though.)

Trades:

Pennington - Early 4th round pick... Clemens will get the knod this year and Chad will not be happy on the bench.

Vilma - Mid 3rd round pick... due to his injury this might be a bit of a stretch, but there are 4-3 defenses that need MLB's. His leadership, work ethic and potential when healthy, should make him worth the risk.

New Contracts:

Coles, Rhodes, Hobson

Notable FA's:

OG, Stacey Andrews

WR, Bernard Berrian

RB, T.J. Ducket

QB, Josh McCown

ILB, Clark Haggan

CB, Nnamdu Asomugha

Draft (first four rounds):

1- OLB, Vernon Gholston (OSU)... With few trade down partners, the Jets might be forced to reach a little bit here. He's about 10-15lbs bigger than Adalius Thomas and will be a force on the outside.

2- OT, Carl Nicks (Nebraska)... Massive frame at 6-5, 340lbs.. an easy upgrade over Clement.

3A- NT, Red Bryant (Texas A&M)... 320lb team captain. Has the frame to add weight and become a dominate 2-gap Defensive lineman.

3B- DE, Demario Pressley (NC State)... Adds depth at DE, until he is ready to replace Ellis.

4A- FB, Owen Scmidtt (WV)... Will help to improve our running game.

4B- FS, Quintin Demps (UTEP)

Offense:

QB- Clemens, Josh McCown, Ratliff

WR- Coles, Cotchery, Berrian, Stuckey, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

RB- T Jones, Leon, T.J. Ducket

FB- Owen Schmidtt

TE- Baker, Kowalewski, Dearth

OT- Ferguson, Carl Nicks, Clement

OG- Stacey Andrews, Moore, Montgomery

C- Mangold

Defense:

DE- Ellis, Kenyon Coleman, DeMario Pressley, Mosely

NT- Red Bryant, Pouha

ILB- Harris, Haggan, Hobson

OLB- Thomas, Gholston, Bowens, Chatman

CB- Revis, Nnamdu Asomugha, Miller, Drew Coleman

SS- Rhodes, Eric Smith

FS- Elam, Quintin Demps

This is good. I'd love for the Jets to get one really good FA (Asomugha easily qualifies) and one solid LG (I guess Andrews qualifies but I dont know enough aboiut him other than the Jets had him last year and he's big).

I think the Jets will net more for Pennington but less for Vilma (they may not be able to move Vilma).

Red Bryant is hot right now off the senior bowl stuff. He will not last into the third round. I'd take him or someone like him in the second round and take the best RT later.

Second stab at one of these... Enjoy!

Notable Cuts:

Barton

Barret

McCairens

Dyson

Clarke

Robertson (I would like to see them re-work a new contract with him.. and think they will try. It probably won't work out though.)

Trades:

Pennington - Early 4th round pick... Clemens will get the knod this year and Chad will not be happy on the bench.

Vilma - Mid 3rd round pick... due to his injury this might be a bit of a stretch, but there are 4-3 defenses that need MLB's. His leadership, work ethic and potential when healthy, should make him worth the risk.

New Contracts:

Coles, Rhodes, Hobson

Notable FA's:

OG, Stacey Andrews

WR, Bernard Berrian

RB, T.J. Ducket

QB, Josh McCown

ILB, Clark Haggan

CB, Nnamdu Asomugha

Draft (first four rounds):

1- OLB, Vernon Gholston (OSU)... With few trade down partners, the Jets might be forced to reach a little bit here. He's about 10-15lbs bigger than Adalius Thomas and will be a force on the outside.

2- OT, Carl Nicks (Nebraska)... Massive frame at 6-5, 340lbs.. an easy upgrade over Clement.

3A- NT, Red Bryant (Texas A&M)... 320lb team captain. Has the frame to add weight and become a dominate 2-gap Defensive lineman.

3B- DE, Demario Pressley (NC State)... Adds depth at DE, until he is ready to replace Ellis.

4A- FB, Owen Scmidtt (WV)... Will help to improve our running game.

4B- FS, Quintin Demps (UTEP)

Offense:

QB- Clemens, Josh McCown, Ratliff

WR- Coles, Cotchery, Berrian, Stuckey, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

RB- T Jones, Leon, T.J. Ducket

FB- Owen Schmidtt

TE- Baker, Kowalewski, Dearth

OT- Ferguson, Carl Nicks, Clement

OG- Stacey Andrews, Moore, Montgomery

C- Mangold

Defense:

DE- Ellis, Kenyon Coleman, DeMario Pressley, Mosely

NT- Red Bryant, Pouha

ILB- Harris, Haggan, Hobson

OLB- Thomas, Gholston, Bowens, Chatman

CB- Revis, Nnamdu Asomugha, Miller, Drew Coleman

SS- Rhodes, Eric Smith

FS- Elam, Quintin Demps

Good job, but i still don't ever like assuming free agents because all teams like to assume their team is going to get the best free agents; al davis loves his man to man corners and kiffin, even though he is on the outs, already said nnamdi will be back with the team. We can take that statement for what it's worth, but i absolutely love the stacy andrews selection and i do like the choice of getting mccown backing up clemens if penny leaves. I think berrian is more of a luxury, but if we can upgrade our oline, than he could be useful to open up the underneath routes for baker, coles and cotch.

I love the vernon gholston pick and i beleive it isn't even close to a reach, but the combine will definately tell; i beleive gholston is around the 260ish range, which would leave him 10ish pounds smaller than thomas, but thats just semantics.

I think carl nicks is a very solid pick, he looked excellent last week during the senior bowl practices (especially 1 on 1s). He has tremendous upside and depending on who else is on the board he is very good value. It also allows stacy andrews to play guard, which gives us a solid presence playing between mangold and Dbrick; andrews has started and played well at LG. For a guy his size, 6'6 340ish, he surprisingly posesses the quickness and athleticism to pull in the running game.

Red Bryant looked very solid at the practice as well, he looked stout at the POA and was able to take double teams. HOwever, he had a tendency to play too high and i don't think the leverage he plays with is suitable for a NT. I truly believe his best position is going to be a 34 DE. I also really like Dre Moore, he looked absolutely bullish during the pit drills, although the combine could shoot him up the draft board a bit. Also, i think the better NTs in this draft are going to be Ahtyba Rubin or perhaps even Marcus Harrison.

I think having red bryan would make the next selection a bit overkill, but if bryant can play NT than pressley looks like he has the ability to occupy two blockers and play well against the run. At 6'3 300 and a monster reach of 34'' he has the size, but looking at him during the season it seemed to me as though he played more around the 290 or lower range, which is still fine, but i personally like Dre moore better. Good value here though.

I love owen schmitt and the fact that he got hurt before he could really showcase his talent in the senior bowl makes it possible that he could be had here. I think mangini truly wants to add a true FB to our running game, ala the darian barnes pick even though he didn't pan out, and that is exactly what owen brings to the table, a true fullback. Perhaps with a good Oline and a true blocking FB we could convert the 3rd/4th and shorts without throwing it or running a trick play. Havn't seen much of demps so i can't really speak to that, but unless it's crazy value i think it is a bit more of a luxury pick. I would personally like to see an ILB here, a ben moffit or a jonathan goff, to groom behind Clark Haggans who is 31. But, like i said, i havn't seen him play so i can't really speak on his behalf.

Good mock and i am quite excited for this offseason..combine in less than 4 weeks and free agency in a month..ahh yess

Can someone explain to me the point in dumping DRob and then drafting Ellis?

Isn't Groves a better fit for the 3-4 than Gholston anyway? Same size, supposedly is significantly faster, and has OLB experience. Senior season he was supposedly hurt (Dislocated 3 toes vs Florida in late Sept) & it badly affected his sack total (as did playing some 4-3 OLB). Plus Groves might be there a full round later.

I wouldn't be too upset if this was our off-season/draft. Really addresses major needs & is well thought-out. Bryant may be an imperfect 3-4 NT specimen, but the whole franchise can't wait around for the absolute perfect one to present himself. Can't get much more ill-suited than DRob in that position. Gholston I'm neither high on nor down on really. I just have an inherent issue with drafting a guy at #6 and converting him out of his natural position; the draft is such a crap-shoot as it is, without throwing this additional road-bump in there.

Only thing that's not so black-and-white but is overlooked in this (and many) mocks, is regarding Coles. If he's not traded, he's going to be a miserable distraction if he's not given an extension. Call it a hunch. He's been VERY vocal about wanting an extension since the season ended. On paper the best thing might be to keep him around for another year or finish up his current contract through 2009. In reality, that may not be so easy. Particularly if his best friend is traded.

But overall, this is one of the best off-season mocks I've seen so far.

Isn't Groves a better fit for the 3-4 than Gholston anyway? Same size, supposedly is significantly faster, and has OLB experience. Senior season he was supposedly hurt (Dislocated 3 toes vs Florida in late Sept) & it badly affected his sack total (as did playing some 4-3 OLB). Plus Groves might be there a full round later.

See all you combine haters. This is where the combine will pay dividends. Both guys should run on an even track. It will be easy enough to tell if Groves is significantly faster or Gholston is the physical beast many imagine. D1 talent is so uneven that it is difficult to compare players even within the same conference. For all the faults the combine exists for this reason.

At this point I will go on record as saying I am hoping for Chris Long. Seems like the best fit person and attitude-wise and should adapt to playing our system.

See all you combine haters. This is where the combine will pay dividends. Both guys should run on an even track. It will be easy enough to tell if Groves is significantly faster or Gholston is the physical beast many imagine. D1 talent is so uneven that it is difficult to compare players even within the same conference. For all the faults the combine exists for this reason.

At this point I will go on record as saying I am hoping for Chris Long. Seems like the best fit person and attitude-wise and should adapt to playing our system.

I'd be happy with Chris Long as well. Can't put my finger on it, but he seems like the type of player I would expect to find - producing - on the Pats.

I wouldn't be too upset if this was our off-season/draft. Really addresses major needs & is well thought-out. Bryant may be an imperfect 3-4 NT specimen, but the whole franchise can't wait around for the absolute perfect one to present himself. Can't get much more ill-suited than DRob in that position. Gholston I'm neither high on nor down on really. I just have an inherent issue with drafting a guy at #6 and converting him out of his natural position; the draft is such a crap-shoot as it is, without throwing this additional road-bump in there.

Only thing that's not so black-and-white but is overlooked in this (and many) mocks, is regarding Coles. If he's not traded, he's going to be a miserable distraction if he's not given an extension. Call it a hunch. He's been VERY vocal about wanting an extension since the season ended. On paper the best thing might be to keep him around for another year or finish up his current contract through 2009. In reality, that may not be so easy. Particularly if his best friend is traded.

Groves struggled heavily in the 34 OLB this year and is terrible against the run. I know a lot of his struggles can be attributed to his injury, but watching him and gholston play is like night and day. He doesnt have the raw strength to overpower people like gholston and doesn't play the run as well; he may have more straightline speed.

And the whole playing out of position thing isn't an issue. Merriman, ware and wimbley all played DE and were drafted 11th, 12th and 13th and merriman would have gone higher if he didn't have off the field issues (he also didn't play a lick of OLB or in coverage). Gholston was also recruited as a linebacker out of highschool and play LB in his first redshirted freshman year. He was than converted to play the LEO position, which on OSU is there DE that drops back into coverage. It is basically the same position that he'll be playing here.

He also is a film junkie and works extremely hard so we know he'll be the type of player our team covets; same thing as chris long.

I understand the hesitation and i respect the disagreement, but it'll be easier to tell once the combine comes around.

Groves struggled heavily in the 34 OLB this year and is terrible against the run. I know a lot of his struggles can be attributed to his injury, but watching him and gholston play is like night and day. He doesnt have the raw strength to overpower people like gholston and doesn't play the run as well; he may have more straightline speed.

And the whole playing out of position thing isn't an issue. Merriman, ware and wimbley all played DE and were drafted 11th, 12th and 13th and merriman would have gone higher if he didn't have off the field issues (he also didn't play a lick of OLB or in coverage). Gholston was also recruited as a linebacker out of highschool and play LB in his first redshirted freshman year. He was than converted to play the LEO position, which on OSU is there DE that drops back into coverage. It is basically the same position that he'll be playing here.

He also is a film junkie and works extremely hard so we know he'll be the type of player our team covets; same thing as chris long.

I understand the hesitation and i respect the disagreement, but it'll be easier to tell once the combine comes around.

Fair enough. You're more familiar with these guys than I am. But I would just throw out there that just because Merriman made the transition so well doesn't mean Gholston will be able to. I'd hate to have a pair of Bryan Thomases.

I agree with Sperm in that you don't pick a player at #6 and hope he can change positions in the Pros. Gohlston does appear to be Brian Thomas II. Jets should pick from these 3 players, one of whom should be available at #6. McFadden, C. Long, or Ellis.

you have some good points about the combine, but the scouts are still elementary in their evals. They still time NT's and DE's in the 40 time, and QB's in verticle leap. Who gives a crap if a NT can run for 40 yards? I'm more concerened if he can run 5 yards with a man in his face.

If you have two QB's that are exactly the same in all aspects and you say, 'well, this one jumps higher and can bench press more' and that is your way of saying A is better than B...you should be flat out fired.

Wasn't Drobs stock so high because he ran a 4.9 40? i have never seen D-rob run 40 yards in a game, including coming in for a subsitution. I don't even like 40 times for linbackers, look at David Harris. The dude what catch a train from behind and knock it off the rails if it were on the field. Yet because he wasn't as "fast" as Willis, he slides to the late second round? Are you flippin kidding?

Scouts are as ignorant as they come, every year they will miss somebody, and every year they think there 'needs' to be a QB taken top five, so we get to see the J Russells, E Mannings, and A Smith's of the world collect mega-dollars only to realize they should be bagging grocieries.

Draft off their play on the team, and as a team.

you have some good points about the combine, but the scouts are still elementary in their evals. They still time NT's and DE's in the 40 time, and QB's in verticle leap. Who gives a crap if a NT can run for 40 yards? I'm more concerened if he can run 5 yards with a man in his face.

If you have two QB's that are exactly the same in all aspects and you say, 'well, this one jumps higher and can bench press more' and that is your way of saying A is better than B...you should be flat out fired.

Wasn't Drobs stock so high because he ran a 4.9 40? i have never seen D-rob run 40 yards in a game, including coming in for a subsitution. I don't even like 40 times for linbackers, look at David Harris. The dude what catch a train from behind and knock it off the rails if it were on the field. Yet because he wasn't as "fast" as Willis, he slides to the late second round? Are you flippin kidding?

Scouts are as ignorant as they come, every year they will miss somebody, and every year they think there 'needs' to be a QB taken top five, so we get to see the J Russells, E Mannings, and A Smith's of the world collect mega-dollars only to realize they should be bagging grocieries.

Draft off their play on the team, and as a team.

The combine is important for comparative purposes. There are certain limits which players need to be successful at each position. That helps weed out some guys that simply will not be able to cut it. Guys like Quentin Moses who people wanted us to take in the first round and is now out of football if not mistaken because they are simply too slow to be effective at OLB. FWIW, I think that Willis is that much better than Harris.

You are absolutely correct that certain tests are blown out of proportion for certain positions, but they have other ratings for those positions (ie short shuttle, etc). It's okay to draft off a guys play on a team, but then how do you rate a guy like Ball? Small school wonder, he caught everything. IF he times fast he's a gem, if he times slow he'll probably be easily covered. How do you compare a guy from Ohio St. with somebody from Boise? Or Hawaii? Going only by combine results is moronic, but ignoring them is just as bad.

It does have its place, I liked how the Dolphins used those drills in aquiring Wes Welker. Supposedly, Welker posted one of the best ever times in the shuttle drill. They guy is quicker than almost anyone in the NFL. Yet you and i know damn well why he wasn't even drafted...40 time.

I've heard countless fans, and 30 teams who past on the guy, and now he leads the league in receptions.

My actual beef is with the 40 time. It is the most overrated stat in football, or any sport. 40 yards is a long ****ing sprint. I play soccer, played basketball and baseball...i can't ever remember running 40 yards in a straight line in a game. Football players are the same damn way, only time they run 40 yards is on 'go' routes.

You are right about the comparisons of small schools to big schools...but there are still huge misses. Scouts thought Cutler was worth a top five pick and that the jets were stupid to pass on him. IMO, Culter doesn't belong in the first 2 rounds at all (hindsite 20/20, but paid scouts missed this one, almost all of them).

It does have its place, I liked how the Dolphins used those drills in aquiring Wes Welker. Supposedly, Welker posted one of the best ever times in the shuttle drill. They guy is quicker than almost anyone in the NFL. Yet you and i know damn well why he wasn't even drafted...40 time.

I've heard countless fans, and 30 teams who past on the guy, and now he leads the league in receptions.

My actual beef is with the 40 time. It is the most overrated stat in football, or any sport. 40 yards is a long ****ing sprint. I play soccer, played basketball and baseball...i can't ever remember running 40 yards in a straight line in a game. Football players are the same damn way, only time they run 40 yards is on 'go' routes.

You are right about the comparisons of small schools to big schools...but there are still huge misses. Scouts thought Cutler was worth a top five pick and that the jets were stupid to pass on him. IMO, Culter doesn't belong in the first 2 rounds at all (hindsite 20/20, but paid scouts missed this one, almost all of them).

40 times can be used to filter out busts, especially at the wr position. Peter Warrick and Dwayne Jarrett for example.

As for Cutler he was and still is worth a top 5 pick. He regressed this season but a lot of that can be attributed to the team around him just overrall having a bad year. Cutler lost Javon Walker, by far his best receiver, and Tom Nalen, the best Center ever to play football, basically for the entire year. Cutler is going to be a star.

Last year Cutler had 20 tds to 14 ints. I don't see how he had such a terrible year especially considering the injuries to his supporting cast.

40 times can be used to filter out busts, especially at the wr position. Peter Warrick and Dwayne Jarrett for example.

As for Cutler he was and still is worth a top 5 pick. He regressed this season but a lot of that can be attributed to the team around him just overrall having a bad year. Cutler lost Javon Walker, by far his best receiver, and Tom Nalen, the best Center ever to play football, basically for the entire year. Cutler is going to be a star.

Last year Cutler had 20 tds to 14 ints. I don't see how he had such a terrible year especially considering the injuries to his supporting cast.

He has Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Sheffler and for a while he had Javon Walker. Add that to a top running game and a pretty good o-line and there really is no excuse for Cutlers poor play this year, he just wasn't very good.

Thanks! I hope to continually improve them throughout the offseason.

I agree about dumping Drob and drafting Ellis; completley pointless. I beleive/hope the FO will try to restructure Robertson's contract because he is actually a pretty good player... he just doesn't fit the role of a NT.

As for dealing with Coles I did cover that and definitely agree. If he isn't offered a new contract the situation could go sour quickly... possibly worse than Kendal, IMO. The FO will need to be a bit more careful in dealing with this matter.

New Contracts:

Coles, Rhodes, Hobson

I would take Chris Long in a heartbeat.. I just don't think he'll be available at #6 though. Gholston should be a solid pick too though.

Archived