Vernon Gholston is my pick at 6.

JETSFAN5180

I have the feeling that any player the Jets take at 6, except for those consensus four or five best players on the board (C. Long, Drosey, McFadden, and J. Long), would be considered a reach, but who knows, maybe someone will light it up at the combine and work outs to clear things up.

While I don't claim to be a draft expert, what makes you say that?

People have tremendously overated him IMO. He dissapears in games way too often TBH and that one game against Michigan were I admit he gave Jake Long fits has just ballooned his stock to an unrealistcally high level. He hasn't been consistent enough IMO and kind of reminds me of Shaun Ellis.

While I don't claim to be a draft expert, what makes you say that?

After reading a lot on him and seeing him play I have come to the conclusion that he is quite possibly a poor man's John Abraham. A workout warrior who disappears in games like Abraham - but lacks JA's quickness off the line. He is also said to be a loner who is not close to his teamates which is not good at all. Also his number one interest is working out and not playing football. I think he has the potential to be a HUGE bust.

I don't care how much film anybody watched. I don't care how much you think game play matters and the combine is useless. Making this kind of determination pre-combine and pro day is a senseless. If Gholston is going to go at #6 he'd better be smoking fast. If he runs a Charles Rogers like 4.9 I would not touch him in the third round.

Remember, Quentin Moses? I read about him being a must have for almost a year. He didn't even make it out of his first camp. One year, Raiders, Cards and Dolphins. He's finished half of the tour of crappy NFL teams. Do you know why? He's ****ing slow.

I don't care how much film anybody watched. I don't care how much you think game play matters and the combine is useless. Making this kind of determination pre-combine and pro day is a senseless. If Gholston is going to go at #6 he'd better be smoking fast. If he runs a Charles Rogers like 4.9 I would not touch him in the third round.

Remember, Quentin Moses? I read about him being a must have for almost a year. He didn't even make it out of his first camp. One year, Raiders, Cards and Dolphins. He's finished half of the tour of crappy NFL teams. Do you know why? He's ****ing slow.

I agree about the combine. It's useless. Remember Mike Mamula back in the mid '90's? He was a combine freak who the Eagles traded up for and selected him with the 7th overall pick.

If a team has a good scouting department the combine should be 5% of the reason the team drafts a player.

I agree about the combine. It's useless. Remember Mike Mamula back in the mid '90's? He was a combine freak who the Eagles traded up for and selected him with the 7th overall pick.

If a team has a good scouting department the combine should be 5% of the reason the team drafts a player.

So you think the Phins should take Colt Brennan number one?

I have the feeling that any player the Jets take at 6, except for those consensus four or five best players on the board (C. Long, Drosey, McFadden, and J. Long), would be considered a reach, but who knows, maybe someone will light it up at the combine and work outs to clear things up.

Sedrick Ellis seemed to have worked his way into those conversations after the Senior Bowl...Can he play the Nose though?

Read my post again. You mean that you disagree about the combine.

As I've said before, I prefer to use it to rule players out than to jack them up, Chris Henry RB style. I think most feel that way, which is why top top guys often don't run. I'd say that I was real impressed with Willis' times last year. That speed coupled with his play at Ole Miss and in the senior games made him probably my favorite player last year. If he'd run a 4.58 I wouldn't have been so high on him.

Chris Long will not make it past the Raiders

I expect him to go first, to the Dolphins.

I think the Raiders, if they dont take McFadden, are in more need of a DT than Chris Long; and Dorsey, for all of his injuries, was a disruptive force in college. Really good DT.

While neither of our units are great, our Defensive is light years ahead of our offense.

That may be true, but if Clemens improves and the Jets upgrade LG, RT and get another WR then offense will be markedly better. I dont see the Jets drafting any of those spots with the first round pick. Anyway, what the Jets do in FA will determine what's left to be done in the draft.

It works both ways. There are players who will be overated because of their success in College and there will be players overated due to the combine. They can both be misleading when judging a players chances of success in the NFL.

Not from what I saw this year! Our O had us in so many games, for the D to let everyone back in!

I think your QB's let everyone back in. Picks 6's ain't cool.

The Jets D played a good "bend don't break" style over the 2nd half of the season.

I'm a huge fan of his and I can understand the hesitation about selecting anyone this high in the draft, considering the amount of money they can be given. Regardless..I think when ur this high rated of a player everything gets magnified 10 fold; his body building gets turned around to him wanting to take care of his body more than football. If he was a less regarded prospect you could say that well i'd rather have a player take care of his body and be fat and lazy etc. I'm pretty sure he started every game the last two years and doesn't have a history of injury, which is nice. Also, weightlifting was his first love, he got into it in middleschool and the football coach begged him to join the team when he found out he wasn't a teacher haha. I think you can look at it both ways thats all. He also lives with a girl; not a girlfriend, but one of his best friends he met freshman year. There was a big article on how they both get along and how they respect their space etc.

Anyways, i made this post a while ago and i'll just try to summarize it basically. I'm not trying to change anyones mind, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm just throwing out what I know from watching him as much as I have. If there's somethin i'm missing definately point it out, because I won't lie, even when i really like a player and try to be as objective as i can, i sometimes can rationalize weaknesses.

For those of you who watch tOSU or know about their defense, you'll probably know that the LEO position that he played in OSU is basicallyDE position that had him drop into coverage, play standing up, stunt, "motion" etc. Exactly the same position that Mike Vrabel played when he was at tOSU. Anyways, i'm not saying he's great in coverage, but he has had work at it; he was also recruited as a linebacker, so he has the athletic ability and fluidity, but his raw power/size/speed combo enabled him to have a greater impact as a DE at the college level. He isn't the best in coverage and is hips aren't as fluid as say a Keith rivers (LB outta USC this year) but most 260ish pound guys are not. He can be a bit stiff in open space compared to your more agile 43 linebackers, but he is by no means a liability. Anyways.. He has a tremendous bullrush, but has shown a few other rush moves as well;technique can be worked. I know a lot of the biggest concerns were that he dissapears in some games and I think that is more an act of other teams gameplanning against him than his percieved dissapearance (I havn't rewatched every game so I can't say that he hasn't taken any plays off, but from what i've seen a lot of the times he looks to be taking plays off is more a gameplan against him). Anyways, i found a video of his highlights in the BCS game this year...

* The parts that really stuck out to me where ~30 secs where he just bullrushed the RT and than ~ 1:05 where he has a TE Chip him and the RT try to block him down the field while running a stretch play to the outside..he gets moved a yard or two and still makes the tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAOY9iLsno

Yup, we played into the opposing defences hands more often than not. We were predictable all year, especially with Clemens in there.

If you want to talk about predictable events Chad throwing a pick 6 in the 4th quarter of a close game was a slam dunk.

Sorry for the double post...The thing about that video that stands out to me is he caused the QB to throw the ball away early a few times for incompletions and those stats don't get recognized in the box score becuase he didn't get a sack. Those incompletions were almost as valuable as a sack, but don't seem to get noticed as much..that goes for all defensive players too.

THe other thing that stood out was one of the times he got into the backfield extremely quick, but Flynn threw a quick in route to Doucet. Teams that were effective against gholston were teams that threw those quick routes or ran stretch plays to his opposite side. However, gholston has the speed and athleticism to stunt and do creative things, which can negate that; LSU just flat out had a better gameplan than OSU this year.

Archived