Ty Law Signs With Kansas City

PatsFanTX

Someone should whisper to Ty that Gunther Cunningham is going to make him go man to man on Randy Moss down the field all day in that defense and that Donnie H will put him in a nice zone package against the mighty David Givens. Hmmmm, where would YOU go if you're an aging corner with a suspect wheel?

Great point TS.

As you know, the Pats played a lot of zone coverage in their secondary when Law was there.

Cunningham and the Chiefs have played predominately man-to-man coverage more so than any other team in the NFL.

I'd have serious questions about a 31-year old CB, who is coming of major foot surgery, being out on an island the whole game against the oppositions #1 WR.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone should whisper to Ty that Gunther Cunningham is going to make him go man to man on Randy Moss down the field all day in that defense and that Donnie H will put him in a nice zone package against the mighty David Givens. Hmmmm, where would YOU go if you're an aging corner with a suspect wheel?

Great point TS.

As you know, the Pats played a lot of zone coverage in their secondary when Law was there.

Cunningham and the Chiefs have played predominately man-to-man coverage more so than any other team in the NFL.

I'd have serious questions about a 31-year old CB, who is coming of major foot surgery, being out on an island the whole game against the oppositions #1 WR.

Hmmmm, where would YOU go if you're an aging corner with a suspect wheel?

One of the problems I have with the guy is that I really don't think he cares about any of that at all. He's gonna sign with the team that offers him the best financial package. Nothing else matters. He already has rings, he wants another bag of cash before he calls it quits.

I believe he'll play hard for whoever he signs with. The guy's a competitor. He'll be loyal to the team who offers him the most cash this year, then he'll bitch & moan and look for someone to pay him more next year. He's not going to get his top dollar in this next contract. He's a one year signing.

Can the Jets win the SuperBowl in the meantime? Does Law put them over the top? That should be the criteria.

Hmmmm, where would YOU go if you're an aging corner with a suspect wheel?

One of the problems I have with the guy is that I really don't think he cares about any of that at all. He's gonna sign with the team that offers him the best financial package. Nothing else matters. He already has rings, he wants another bag of cash before he calls it quits.

I believe he'll play hard for whoever he signs with. The guy's a competitor. He'll be loyal to the team who offers him the most cash this year, then he'll bitch & moan and look for someone to pay him more next year. He's not going to get his top dollar in this next contract. He's a one year signing.

Can the Jets win the SuperBowl in the meantime? Does Law put them over the top? That should be the criteria.

I believe he'll play hard for whoever he signs with. The guy's a competitor. He'll be loyal to the team who offers him the most cash this year, then he'll b!tch & moan and look for someone to pay him more next year. He's not going to get his top dollar in this next contract. He's a one year signing.

Brilliant post. Unless they are balls-to-the-wall positive that Strait can figure it out by Week 4, signing Law is almost a priority. Strait showed well in the nickel last year until he got hurt, but the sample size was so small that it's going to take major guts to go into the season with him as the #1 corner. Especially considering that Barrett isn't exactly a lockdown corner himself.

I believe he'll play hard for whoever he signs with. The guy's a competitor. He'll be loyal to the team who offers him the most cash this year, then he'll b!tch & moan and look for someone to pay him more next year. He's not going to get his top dollar in this next contract. He's a one year signing.

Brilliant post. Unless they are balls-to-the-wall positive that Strait can figure it out by Week 4, signing Law is almost a priority. Strait showed well in the nickel last year until he got hurt, but the sample size was so small that it's going to take major guts to go into the season with him as the #1 corner. Especially considering that Barrett isn't exactly a lockdown corner himself.

I'd like the jets to sign Law..But I'm not going to go crazy if we do or if we don't..

Jon Abraham is more of a difference maker. We need Jon Abe on the field. He makes the whole defense better.

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Excellent post.

I'd like the jets to sign Law..But I'm not going to go crazy if we do or if we don't..

Jon Abraham is more of a difference maker. We need Jon Abe on the field. He makes the whole defense better.

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Excellent post.

Great point TS.

Thanks, Tex. This is why I said that the KC defense didn't really get better. They added a slow LB in Bell who was as much a malingerer last season as Johnny Abe was for us, and now if they get Law they are getting two guys who don't really fit the scheme. The same goes for Surtain, although he might have enough athleticism to make it work there. The Chiefs might have been better off doing everything they could have done in the draft to pick up the fastest corners possible to let them turn and run with the Raiders and Broncos receivers. People (including me) killed Mike Shanahan for picking up three obscure corners on the first day of the draft, but this is exactly what he did--drafted athletes to run the field all day. IMO, putting Law on that Chiefs defense is not an upgrade over Eric Warfield at this point in Law's career. He'll be on Sportscenter ALOT next season, but for all the wrong reasons.

Great point TS.

Thanks, Tex. This is why I said that the KC defense didn't really get better. They added a slow LB in Bell who was as much a malingerer last season as Johnny Abe was for us, and now if they get Law they are getting two guys who don't really fit the scheme. The same goes for Surtain, although he might have enough athleticism to make it work there. The Chiefs might have been better off doing everything they could have done in the draft to pick up the fastest corners possible to let them turn and run with the Raiders and Broncos receivers. People (including me) killed Mike Shanahan for picking up three obscure corners on the first day of the draft, but this is exactly what he did--drafted athletes to run the field all day. IMO, putting Law on that Chiefs defense is not an upgrade over Eric Warfield at this point in Law's career. He'll be on Sportscenter ALOT next season, but for all the wrong reasons.

Thanks, Tex. This is why I said that the KC defense didn't really get better. They added a slow LB in Bell who was as much a malingerer last season as Johnny Abe was for us, and now if they get Law they are getting two guys who don't really fit the scheme. The same goes for Surtain, although he might have enough athleticism to make it work there.

Couple quick points:

Miami also played quite a bit of man-to-man coverage and I think Surtain will adapt (better than Law) into Cunningham's scheme.

And here is my "you heard it here first" comment:

Derrick Johnson will thrive in that defense and have a monster year for the Chiefs.

Anyway you look at it, the Chiefs have significantly upgraded their defense from a year ago.

Thanks, Tex. This is why I said that the KC defense didn't really get better. They added a slow LB in Bell who was as much a malingerer last season as Johnny Abe was for us, and now if they get Law they are getting two guys who don't really fit the scheme. The same goes for Surtain, although he might have enough athleticism to make it work there.

Couple quick points:

Miami also played quite a bit of man-to-man coverage and I think Surtain will adapt (better than Law) into Cunningham's scheme.

And here is my "you heard it here first" comment:

Derrick Johnson will thrive in that defense and have a monster year for the Chiefs.

Anyway you look at it, the Chiefs have significantly upgraded their defense from a year ago.

Soft? :shock:

What do you base that analysis on?

Watching him in the Oklahoma games running as far away from contact as he could get. He avoids contact like Smizzy avoids low-calorie soft drinks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a puss. All I'm saying is that he's in for a rude awakening if he thinks that he'll be running free around the corner in the NFL. Ain't no Texas Tech's on the schedule now.

Soft? :shock:

What do you base that analysis on?

Watching him in the Oklahoma games running as far away from contact as he could get. He avoids contact like Smizzy avoids low-calorie soft drinks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a puss. All I'm saying is that he's in for a rude awakening if he thinks that he'll be running free around the corner in the NFL. Ain't no Texas Tech's on the schedule now.

The problem with that defense is not necessarily the talent level, but the schemes and the fact that the offense doesn't hold the ball to give them a rest. Signing veteran players to run in that track meet does not make them appreciably better.

Their defensive schemes are the problem? Wasn't current defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham using the same schemes during the 90's whenever he held the same position with the team? I seem to recall that Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, and James Hasty led defense being pretty damn good. It was never the schemes, it was the lack of talent. I don't know how you expect the Chiefs to have a top defense with Scott Fujita, William Bartee, and John Browning wreaking havoc.

If you still think that defense will be terrible with Law, Surtain, Johnson, Knight, and Bell, then you apparently must think that Gunther Cunningham is the sh*ttiest coach in NFL history.

The problem with that defense is not necessarily the talent level, but the schemes and the fact that the offense doesn't hold the ball to give them a rest. Signing veteran players to run in that track meet does not make them appreciably better.

Their defensive schemes are the problem? Wasn't current defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham using the same schemes during the 90's whenever he held the same position with the team? I seem to recall that Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, and James Hasty led defense being pretty damn good. It was never the schemes, it was the lack of talent. I don't know how you expect the Chiefs to have a top defense with Scott Fujita, William Bartee, and John Browning wreaking havoc.

If you still think that defense will be terrible with Law, Surtain, Johnson, Knight, and Bell, then you apparently must think that Gunther Cunningham is the sh*ttiest coach in NFL history.

Ty Law hasn't signed yet and ESPN just reported that the Pats and Jets are the top 2 teams fighting for his services.

Where did you hear this?

Smizz,

The whole rumor was started by some radio chick (Rhonda something or other) in KC.

She was the same chick that stated last year that Corey Dillon was signed by the Chiefs.

BTW, the Pats won't touch Law until they get the Seymour situation resolved first.

Ty Law hasn't signed yet and ESPN just reported that the Pats and Jets are the top 2 teams fighting for his services.

Where did you hear this?

Smizz,

The whole rumor was started by some radio chick (Rhonda something or other) in KC.

She was the same chick that stated last year that Corey Dillon was signed by the Chiefs.

BTW, the Pats won't touch Law until they get the Seymour situation resolved first.

this is a bogus story reported by TWO unreliable sources-the lady who wrote it and the Pats fan who KNOWS that it's not reliable but figures it might be fun to mess with Jets fans-TEX GET A FRIGGIN LIFE

What are you, some kind of friggn' A-Hole?

How did you know this morning when it was reported by a media personnel in Kansas City that it was bogus?

this is a bogus story reported by TWO unreliable sources-the lady who wrote it and the Pats fan who KNOWS that it's not reliable but figures it might be fun to mess with Jets fans-TEX GET A FRIGGIN LIFE

What are you, some kind of friggn' A-Hole?

How did you know this morning when it was reported by a media personnel in Kansas City that it was bogus?

you know what you're right-I didn't see the post this morning-I've been checking in on and off all day and missed the 11:44 time.I just figured it was you being you a ball buster knowing full well because you have also been on JI today I'm sure and the whole thing had been vetted there.Yea I am an A-hole sometimes...you?

you know what you're right-I didn't see the post this morning-I've been checking in on and off all day and missed the 11:44 time.I just figured it was you being you a ball buster knowing full well because you have also been on JI today I'm sure and the whole thing had been vetted there.Yea I am an A-hole sometimes...you?

Fair enough SoFla.

If you read my posts in this thread, you would see that I was being 100% serious and not busting chops at all.

And yes, I can be the biggest A-Hole on many occasions. :wink:

Archived