Joe Flacco Jets "reportedly show interest"

MTJ06

Flacco impresses scouts during pro day

By KEVIN TRESOLINI, The News Journal

Posted Friday, March 7, 2008

bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080307&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=803070358&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=150&border=0&Q=100 Joe Flacco was among 15 area college players at UD's pro day. bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080307&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=803070358&Ref=V2&Profile=1002&MaxW=150&border=0&Q=100 NFL personnel take a look at their stopwatches as Delaware running back Omar Cuff finishes his 40-yard dash inside the Delaware Field House.

The News Journal/ROBERT CRAIG

NEWARK -- Nearly two dozen important pairs of eyes were focused on Joe Flacco late Thursday morning.

They belonged to men wearing the unmistakable logos and colors of National Football League franchises -- the navy blue trimmed in red of the New England Patriots, the Baltimore Ravens' purple, the New Orleans Saints' black and old gold.

As Flacco's spirals zipped through the clear, crisp air at Rullo Stadium, eyebrows were raised, whispers were made, notes were scribbled, thoughts were stored.

Flacco, his University of Delaware days recently complete and his pro career about to commence, went about the business of showing why he belonged in someone's NFL colors as the football flew from his right arm into the stinging hands of several receivers.

Even Delaware coach K.C. Keeler, who'd seen such displays many times, couldn't help but be impressed as he also watched Flacco, who was the center of attention on UD's annual pro day.

"His workouts will be as impressive as anybody's in the country," Keeler said.

Seeing the consistency of Flacco's accuracy, it was difficult to disagree.

"He'll put it in the right window," Keeler added, knowing those windows are small and shut quickly in NFL games.

Among those giving close scrutiny was Mike Shula, quarterbacks coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Shula directed Thursday's Rullo Stadium audition, in which Flacco threw passes for more than 30 minutes. Five receivers, including UD teammate Omar Cuff, took turns running patterns.

Shula had seen Flacco in the Senior Bowl at Mobile, Ala., in January and in the NFL combine last month at Indianapolis. His mission this time wasn't just to analyze aim and arm, footwork and fitness.

He came to Newark on Wednesday and spent some personal time with Flacco, all in an effort to get a better read on his NFL potential.

"Just gathering information, as much as you can, about his demeanor, about his background," said Shula, a former Alabama quarterback who coached the Crimson Tide from 2003 to '06. "This, to me, is not as much about [football skills] as it is just continuing our conversation that we had at the combine, and talk more football.

"The guys who coached the Senior Bowl had a great advantage because they had, basically, a week's tryout with the guy, because they got to know how he thinks in the meeting, how he reacts, how quickly he picks things up. So, you just try to keep spending as much time with him as you can."

Shula's impressions?

"They're real good," he said. "Everyone's talked about his stock rising, and I would agree with that."

Some analysts have Flacco rated as high as the second-best quarterback in the NFL draft April 26-27, and he's certain to become the highest University of Delaware pick in history.

Numerous mock drafts have Flacco going to the Chicago Bears in the second round, others to the Minnesota Vikings. The New York Jets and Miami Dolphins also have reportedly shown interest. Shula's presence demonstrates the Jaguars' curiosity. But all it takes is one team with an interest in a promising quarterback when its turn comes to pick.

"I have no idea where I'm going to be," said Flacco, adding that he hears the same speculation as everyone else.

Individual workouts with NFL teams in the next month may give the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Flacco a better idea. For now, he's just intent on getting better.

"Once you get to a team, they're going to tell you what kind of footwork you need," Flacco said.

Having participated in the combine, Flacco didn't perform the running, jumping, agility and strength testing that comprised the first two hours of pro day inside the Delaware Field House and outside at Rullo.

But the other 14 players representing Delaware, Delaware State, Towson, West Chester and Bloomsburg who attended benefited from the largest turnout of pro personnel at UD.

Cuff, in particular, "had a good day," said Jason Beaulieu, UD strength and conditioning coach.

His 40-yard dash time, 4.51 seconds, was a tad shy of the 4.47 he's run before, but Cuff was in the right neighborhood. The Eagles are among several teams showing interest in the 5-10, 200-pound running back, who may have an outside shot at becoming a late-round draft pick.

"I'm getting a lot of positive feedback," Cuff said. "They like my work ethic, they like my technique."

Cuff's 4,364 career rushing yards are No. 2 all-time at UD. In assessing his pro potential, he pinpoints the success of another NCAA Division I-AA product, Eagles All-Pro back Brian Westbrook from Villanova.

"If he's in there," Cuff said, "I can be in there."

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/SPORTS07/803070358/1002

I wouldn't mind getting Flacco, his arm strength would be perfect for the meadowlands, the question would be how long it's going to take him to adjust to the pro game from D I-AA, and is he worth what will likely be a 2nd round pick with the needs we still have.

I wouldn't mind getting Flacco, his arm strength would be perfect for the meadowlands, the question would be how long it's going to take him to adjust to the pro game from D I-AA, and is he worth what will likely be a 2nd round pick with the needs we still have.

It looks like that second round pick may have become a first rounder after his workout.

An AFC Scout told the Philadelphia Daily News that he believes Joe Flacco's stock has risen into the first round this offseason.

"He threw the ball great," said the scout of Flacco's Pro Day workout. "He's done everything right in the offseason. Everything. Right now, there's a lot of teams that have him rated ahead of (Boston College QB Matt) Ryan."

Source: Philadelphia Daily News

Related: Ravens, Bears, Dolphins

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=4677

Flacco impresses scouts during pro day

By KEVIN TRESOLINI, The News Journal

Posted Friday, March 7, 2008

bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080307&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=803070358&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=150&border=0&Q=100 Joe Flacco was among 15 area college players at UD's pro day. bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080307&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=803070358&Ref=V2&Profile=1002&MaxW=150&border=0&Q=100 NFL personnel take a look at their stopwatches as Delaware running back Omar Cuff finishes his 40-yard dash inside the Delaware Field House.

The News Journal/ROBERT CRAIG

NEWARK -- Nearly two dozen important pairs of eyes were focused on Joe Flacco late Thursday morning.

They belonged to men wearing the unmistakable logos and colors of National Football League franchises -- the navy blue trimmed in red of the New England Patriots, the Baltimore Ravens' purple, the New Orleans Saints' black and old gold.

As Flacco's spirals zipped through the clear, crisp air at Rullo Stadium, eyebrows were raised, whispers were made, notes were scribbled, thoughts were stored.

Flacco, his University of Delaware days recently complete and his pro career about to commence, went about the business of showing why he belonged in someone's NFL colors as the football flew from his right arm into the stinging hands of several receivers.

Even Delaware coach K.C. Keeler, who'd seen such displays many times, couldn't help but be impressed as he also watched Flacco, who was the center of attention on UD's annual pro day.

"His workouts will be as impressive as anybody's in the country," Keeler said.

Seeing the consistency of Flacco's accuracy, it was difficult to disagree.

"He'll put it in the right window," Keeler added, knowing those windows are small and shut quickly in NFL games.

Among those giving close scrutiny was Mike Shula, quarterbacks coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Shula directed Thursday's Rullo Stadium audition, in which Flacco threw passes for more than 30 minutes. Five receivers, including UD teammate Omar Cuff, took turns running patterns.

Shula had seen Flacco in the Senior Bowl at Mobile, Ala., in January and in the NFL combine last month at Indianapolis. His mission this time wasn't just to analyze aim and arm, footwork and fitness.

He came to Newark on Wednesday and spent some personal time with Flacco, all in an effort to get a better read on his NFL potential.

"Just gathering information, as much as you can, about his demeanor, about his background," said Shula, a former Alabama quarterback who coached the Crimson Tide from 2003 to '06. "This, to me, is not as much about [football skills] as it is just continuing our conversation that we had at the combine, and talk more football.

"The guys who coached the Senior Bowl had a great advantage because they had, basically, a week's tryout with the guy, because they got to know how he thinks in the meeting, how he reacts, how quickly he picks things up. So, you just try to keep spending as much time with him as you can."

Shula's impressions?

"They're real good," he said. "Everyone's talked about his stock rising, and I would agree with that."

Some analysts have Flacco rated as high as the second-best quarterback in the NFL draft April 26-27, and he's certain to become the highest University of Delaware pick in history.

Numerous mock drafts have Flacco going to the Chicago Bears in the second round, others to the Minnesota Vikings. The New York Jets and Miami Dolphins also have reportedly shown interest. Shula's presence demonstrates the Jaguars' curiosity. But all it takes is one team with an interest in a promising quarterback when its turn comes to pick.

"I have no idea where I'm going to be," said Flacco, adding that he hears the same speculation as everyone else.

Individual workouts with NFL teams in the next month may give the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Flacco a better idea. For now, he's just intent on getting better.

"Once you get to a team, they're going to tell you what kind of footwork you need," Flacco said.

Having participated in the combine, Flacco didn't perform the running, jumping, agility and strength testing that comprised the first two hours of pro day inside the Delaware Field House and outside at Rullo.

But the other 14 players representing Delaware, Delaware State, Towson, West Chester and Bloomsburg who attended benefited from the largest turnout of pro personnel at UD.

Cuff, in particular, "had a good day," said Jason Beaulieu, UD strength and conditioning coach.

His 40-yard dash time, 4.51 seconds, was a tad shy of the 4.47 he's run before, but Cuff was in the right neighborhood. The Eagles are among several teams showing interest in the 5-10, 200-pound running back, who may have an outside shot at becoming a late-round draft pick.

"I'm getting a lot of positive feedback," Cuff said. "They like my work ethic, they like my technique."

Cuff's 4,364 career rushing yards are No. 2 all-time at UD. In assessing his pro potential, he pinpoints the success of another NCAA Division I-AA product, Eagles All-Pro back Brian Westbrook from Villanova.

"If he's in there," Cuff said, "I can be in there."

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/SPORTS07/803070358/1002

Maybe im missing something...were does it say we are interested in that article?

Maybe im missing something...were does it say we are interested in that article?

Its right in the part that I bolded.

Shula's impressions?

I've done a total 180 on this guy. After watching a ton of tape on him (everything I could find on the web) I've decided that he may be the best QB in this draft. He has a strong arm and one of the quickest releases I have ever seen out of a prospect. His excapability is also great. He could rise A LOT between now and the draft.

I've done a total 180 on this guy. After watching a ton of tape on him (everything I could find on the web) I've decided that he may be the best QB in this draft. He has a strong arm and one of the quickest releases I have ever seen out of a prospect. His excapability is also great. He could rise A LOT between now and the draft.

Thats the funny thing about him RSJ, depending upon where you look he has all the skills, 6'6 235 with a big arm & learns from his mistakes a great pocket passer, and is moving up the draft board, but then you also see stuff like this:

After watching film and the passing drills at the Combine this weekend, one NFL QBs coach compared Joe Flacco to John Navarre and Andrew Walter.

"He

Thats the funny thing about him RSJ, depending upon where you look he has all the skills, 6'6 235 with a big arm & learns from his mistakes a great pocket passer, and is moving up the draft board, but then you also see stuff like this:

After watching film and the passing drills at the Combine this weekend, one NFL QBs coach compared Joe Flacco to John Navarre and Andrew Walter.

"He

Even with the great free agency trades and pick-ups, cant you just totally see the Jets f'ing up draft day by trading every single pick to select Joe Delware Flacco and he goes on to become the next Todd Collins. Nice.

"He

I'll pass. Focus on the comment "watched him take a million sacks on tape"...he's struggles with pressure in I-AA, against teams with losing records and somehow he'll improve in the NFL. The game gets faster not slower. We could sign Walter and save the cap space.

Fixed

Hopefully they're not really interested unless this guy slips to the fourth round. The Jets have other needs, including the need to give Clemens a chance behind a functional OL.

Whoever wrote Flacco takes a ton of sacks does not know what he is talking about. I have gone to about 8 U Del home games and one CAA playoff game the past 2 seasons. You have to see him play live to appreciate his talent. Some one else said he has a "long" release? Another b/s claim. He releases the ball quickly and has the same motion whether going long or short. He has really good mobility for a big guy and can throw really well when running. He didnt have the greatest recievers at U Del but still managed to be a high percetage passer without relying on a short passing game.

I would be very shocked if this guy didnt become a very good NFL QB.

Regardless of the team's interest in Flacco it makes sense for Mangini to talk him up or feign interest. All of the teams picking ahead of the Jets in the second round need O-linemen and DBs (heck, everybody in the league needs DBs) so best for the Jets to have Flacco picked before their turn in the second round. One less team picking a position of need for the Jets (CB, OL, DE, LB, whatever).

Or the Jets could be truly interested in Flacco.

No one knows for sure what lurks in the mind of Mangineous :)

I have gone to about 8 U Del home games and one CAA playoff game the past 2 seasons. You have to see him play live to appreciate his talent.

I have also seen Flacco play live. He was mediocre. I am not impressed.

He has really good mobility for a big guy and can throw really well when running.

Incorrect.

He didnt have the greatest recievers at U Del but still managed to be a high percetage passer without relying on a short passing game.

He had a great I-AA team around him at UDel. They've been a favorite in the CAA/A10 for the past decade.

I would be very shocked if this guy didnt become a very good NFL QB.

I would be shocked if he DID become an NFL starting QB.

Lots of valid opinions voiced here about Flacco. (except for the resident know it all)

I think all here would agree any QB taken high in the draft is a crapshoot unless its an Elway or P. Manning cant miss type pick.

Reality is Jets wont draft him at 6 and he will be gone before their next pick unless there are some draft day pick trades.

If the Jets take Flacco I officialy give up, will become a season ticket holder to the Philadelphia Soul

If they take him on the first day, I'll join you.

I'd rather we took DMC at 6 than trade down to get Flacco.

If they take him on the first day, I'll join you.

I'd rather we took DMC at 6 than trade down to get Flacco.

Silly idea to take DMC @ 6 when Jets just invested many millions on the O-line and a blocking fullback. Especially given the fact there is good talent already in place at RB position. TJ and Leon will now have holes to exploit. Wouldnt be surprised if they combine for over 2000 rush yards with the new line.

DMC should be good, maybe really good but indications are he is in the Travis Henry, Willis McGahee mold if you know what I mean.

Our present QB's stink. One cant throw cause he is damaged and the other 2 are just plain lousy.

Archived