Bryan Thomas the enigma

Jetlag

He's the forgotten man on this New York Jets team. It's almost as if this kid never got drafted or doesn't exist. Usually at this point in a first rounders career (3rd year) fans will either start talking up a guy and call for him to break out. That or the bust chants will be cascading from the furthest regions. Not with Bryan Thomas. It's almost as if people don't blame him for being drafted in the first round.

Don't get me wrong, I think if he see's a decent amount of action this year he could put up some good numbers, nothing great, but satisfactory. That said, it's just weird that he's basically the ghost of the New York Jets from the fans to the players to even the coaches and front office.

You confused people with the title. An "enigma" is a person that shows flashes of talent but never does it consistently. Thomas has 1 1/2 sacks in three seasons. That is a "bust." Change the title to "Bryan Thomas the Bust" and people will know who you are talking about.

When I wrote enigma I was referring to his role on the team. I guess it didn't come across that way. Oh well, what's the deal with the front page?

You do realize Barton is now telling his Mommy that

he can't sh*t and needs a "enigma".. :mrgreen:

He's the forgotten man on this New York Jets team. It's almost as if this kid never got drafted or doesn't exist. Usually at this point in a first rounders career (3rd year) fans will either start talking up a guy and call for him to break out. That or the bust chants will be cascading from the furthest regions. Not with Bryan Thomas. It's almost as if people don't blame him for being drafted in the first round.

Don't get me wrong, I think if he see's a decent amount of action this year he could put up some good numbers, nothing great, but satisfactory. That said, it's just weird that he's basically the ghost of the New York Jets from the fans to the players to even the coaches and front office.

Thomas is like that broad you made the mistake of picking up one night from the bar or club.

Everyone knows your mistake but no one wants to admit it. You say nothing, because it only brings up the nasty taste of regret.

You're dying, knowing you passed up on a hot young thorobred, and ended up with a dud. Every so often, regardless of how much time passes, you look back and wonder what went wrong. How? Why? Everything seemed right.

The perfect scenario would have had Thomas reaching his potential last year, sacking qb's and being a problem for opposing qb's and T on the edge. Bradway would have then been able to trade Abraham to any number of suitors, most notably Dallas, for some good picks. Instead, we have two question marks. A stud that never seems to be 100 %, and a dud who has all of the raw tools, but can't display it out on the field.

Another year will pass and we will still wonder...

I'm shocked Bit hasn't shown up yet, to take up for Thomas. Usually does, in these type of threads.

Well in that case I will!! BT is a small college

Guy! As a matter of fact the same college Josh

Evans went to!! He's a small town Kid that had

some personal problems as a Rookie and keep in

mind he had Abe and Ellis in front of him! I

think he'll prove to be a Good player this year

although he probley will never play to the level

that people thought he would..In hindsight we

didn't need another DE but then we could have

had Chris Chambers or Shawn Rogers in 01 instead

of Lamont!! :roll:

Well in that case I will!! BT is a small college

Guy! As a matter of fact the same college Josh

Evans went to!! He's a small town Kid that had

some personal problems as a Rookie and keep in

mind he had Abe and Ellis in front of him! I

think he'll prove to be a Good player this year

although he probley will never play to the level

that people thought he would..In hindsight we

didn't need another DE but then we could have

had Chris Chambers or Shawn Rogers in 01 instead

of Lamont!! :roll:

Savage, please.

I don't want to hear about him being from a small college, or being raw, or having problems, etc.

That was three years ago. Give him a pass as a rookie? Ok, I'm game. Yes, I know about the dental issues, the broad accusing him of hitting her(which was proven false), his poor diet, the pressure, blah blah blah.

Explain to me why Thomas failed to have a sack in 2003 during his 10 starts? Are you going to blame that on his love affair with Big Macs? Didn't floss enough?

Please.

Thomas had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and all anyone can tell me about him are the "flashes" he shows. He's a terrific run stopper.

Blah blah blah.

I know there's more involved than simply sacking the qb, but Thomas is getting paid to do that, to sack the qb. That is his job. Two out of three doesn't cut it.

What did he do against the Rams? Nothing. Terry drafted him specifically for the purpose of rushing the qb, sacking him and giving our D something we missed when Abe bowed out against Oakland with the damn flu.

Last year, he had another chance to prove his naysayers wrong, and all he did was fan the flames. Trevor Johnson replaced him against the Steelers, and Thomas provided no spark. Again, he let us down.

Thomas is killing this team. Yes, I said it. There are no guarantees in the NFL, but Terry took a gamble on a raw, athletic kid, from a small program. All the while, passing on a kid who proved time and again, that he could play. Nevrmind the fact that we needed a safety, Terry took a chance with his #1 pick, and we are now stuck with TWO DE's that are unreliable.

If Thomas was halfway decent, Terry could have shipped off Abe for some picks/players, but no, his inability has us saddled with a malcontent, bent on getting paid, and an underachiever. Thomas has affected this team more than most care to admit.

Savage, please.

I don't want to hear about him being from a small college, or being raw, or having problems, etc.

That was three years ago. Give him a pass as a rookie? Ok, I'm game. Yes, I know about the dental issues, the broad accusing him of hitting her(which was proven false), his poor diet, the pressure, blah blah blah.

Explain to me why Thomas failed to have a sack in 2003 during his 10 starts? Are you going to blame that on his love affair with Big Macs? Didn't floss enough?

Please.

Thomas had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and all anyone can tell me about him are the "flashes" he shows. He's a terrific run stopper.

Blah blah blah.

I know there's more involved than simply sacking the qb, but Thomas is getting paid to do that, to sack the qb. That is his job. Two out of three doesn't cut it.

What did he do against the Rams? Nothing. Terry drafted him specifically for the purpose of rushing the qb, sacking him and giving our D something we missed when Abe bowed out against Oakland with the damn flu.

Last year, he had another chance to prove his naysayers wrong, and all he did was fan the flames. Trevor Johnson replaced him against the Steelers, and Thomas provided no spark. Again, he let us down.

Thomas is killing this team. Yes, I said it. There are no guarantees in the NFL, but Terry took a gamble on a raw, athletic kid, from a small program. All the while, passing on a kid who proved time and again, that he could play. Nevrmind the fact that we needed a safety, Terry took a chance with his #1 pick, and we are now stuck with TWO DE's that are unreliable.

If Thomas was halfway decent, Terry could have shipped off Abe for some picks/players, but no, his inability has us saddled with a malcontent, bent on getting paid, and an underachiever. Thomas has affected this team more than most care to admit.

Hey I just said I'd make a case and I did!! I can

also make a case that says because the staff wouldn't give Jordan a chance with the Jets out

of the playoffs in 03 it may have cost us a 2nd

rd pick since they turned down the 3rd rd the

Raiders offered!! Stats for Cumar was more important

then the Team and that don't help either!! Yes we

are saddled with a 32 year old back with a Huge

contact that runs thru 09!! :mrgreen:

Here's the other issue I have with Thomas.

People love to bring up that Thomas is raw, and yet, he has three professional seasons under his belt.

Meanwhile, some rookie fresh out of college has racked up more sacks and pressures in one season, than Thomas during his career.

We are talking about a defensive end, not a defensive tackle, qb, wr, or corner. Ends do not having the learning curve that these other positions have. Rookies routinely enter the league and perform well. Even if you excuse Thomas for his rookie season, hell, include year two, you can't explain last year. There was no Rubin Carter to blame, only Denny Marcin. There was no read/react system to blame, only Hendu and his ultra aggressive, blitzing/attacking style. Oh, and don't bring up Abe or Ellis, because Abe missed time again, as usual, and Thomas still failed to produce, even in the playoffs.

Thomas is a bust. After this season, Terry should seriously consider cutting him. To make a mistake is one thing, not correcting it is worse.

I remember watching the thomas pick on on TV. It was immediately followed by a collective groan. Some, more optimistic fans, said "let's see what the kid's got! Give Herm and Bradway the benefit of the doubt." This too, was often followed by a collective groan. Bradway is not a good personnel man. Not even last year (if you disagree, ask me why). And Thomas was a feel good story wiating to happen. And waiting. And...you get the picture. Sorry, Bryan, but you're not cutting it. And as for Bradway, well...groan.

sigh

first off a guy can't be a bust when he doesn't get snaps. He can't produce without snaps and he can't get on the field behind two all-pros at DE. Abe and Ellis were both first round picks and both higher selections than Thomas, it's not surprising that the depth chart worked out the way it did.

when he does get snaps he does just fine. I hate to insult everyone in the thread at once but the statement "Bryan Thomas is a bust" is possibly the most ignorant statement in Jet fan land. Believe he's a bust? Ok well pop in the BAL @ NYJ 2004 game tape and tell me how a bust can play like that? And it's not just that game, careful watchers will see that BT makes plays. He even plays out of position as a nickel DT, and does pretty decent at that as well. He's a young starting quality player with upside. Is a burgeoning all-pro? no. But there are far worse players on the Jets we could be bashing, there are far worse players in that draft the Jets could have taken.

as for Ed Reed I have said this before I will say it again there is no guaruntee that Reed would be the same player he is today if he was on the Jets instead of the Ravens. Playing with Ray Lewis, Donnie Henderson and all that talent can really mold a young rookie.

sigh

first off a guy can't be a bust when he doesn't get snaps.

Hmmmm, a first round pick who is not even good enough to get on the field? :shock:

Kinda like a 2nd round RB who couldn't get on the field as well?

That's what I call a great use of high draft picks by the Jets. #-o

BTW, I thought Thomas has some pretty good games coming down the stretch last season. I remember a few plays where he had great penetration but did not get a sack. However, he did force the QB to unload the ball early.

Not much more than you can ask for.

Just my opinion, but I look for Thomas to have a break out year this season.

BT is a good run stopper and looks to be a little under average at rushing the QB. That being said I still think that if we traded Abe away for a shut-down CB or a future RB, we would be a.o.k with BT and Ellis at DE.

Hmmmm, a first round pick who is not even good enough to get on the field? :shock:

Kinda like a 2nd round RB who couldn't get on the field as well?

That's what I call a great use of high draft picks by the Jets. #-o

BTW, I thought Thomas has some pretty good games coming down the stretch last season. I remember a few plays where he had great penetration but did not get a sack. However, he did force the QB to unload the ball early.

Not much more than you can ask for.

Just my opinion, but I look for Thomas to have a break out year this season.

The reason that Thomas was selected is that the Jets envisioned Thomas and Abe at the ends, with Ellis playing tackle. As soon as the the Ellis experiment failed, Thomas was left backing up two all pro's.

Thomas is a decent player that has gotten a bum rap and I agree (with Tx?? #-o ) that he will really come into his own this year.

The reason that Thomas was selected is that the Jets envisioned Thomas and Abe at the ends, with Ellis playing tackle. As soon as the the Ellis experiment failed, Thomas was left backing up two all pro's.

Thomas is a decent player that has gotten a bum rap and I agree (with Tx?? #-o ) that he will really come into his own this year.

Noooo. Ellis to DT was already a failed experiment at that point. Thomas was drafted the year AFTER that Herm screw-up. Thomas was specifically drafted so that the Jets wouldn't have a gun to their heads when it came time to re-sign Abe and Ellis. How's that working out?

Noooo. Ellis to DT was already a failed experiment at that point. Thomas was drafted the year AFTER that Herm screw-up. Thomas was specifically drafted so that the Jets wouldn't have a gun to their heads when it came time to re-sign Abe and Ellis. How's that working out?

I stand corrected. Ellis began the 2001 season at tackle and Thomas was taken in the 202 draft.

Bottom Line is Bryan Thomas has not produced since we drafted him. He may not have had all the snaps, but it doesnt change the fact that this guy has been nonexistant since the Jets drafted him.

And when you could have drafted a safety who is well on his way to being a HOFer and going down as 1 of the best to ever play his position, you want to forget this collosal mistake by Terry.

If only I had a time machine and tapes of all games Bryan Thomas has played in, I'd show them to Terry and he would have drafted Ed Reed

Bottom Line is Bryan Thomas has not produced since we drafted him. He may not have had all the snaps, but it doesnt change the fact that this guy has been nonexistant since the Jets drafted him.

And when you could have drafted a safety who is well on his way to being a HOFer and going down as 1 of the best to ever play his position, you want to forget this collosal mistake by Terry.

If only I had a time machine and tapes of all games Bryan Thomas has played in, I'd show them to Terry and he would have drafted Ed Reed

That's what you'd do if you had a time machine??? WEAK!

I'd have invested everything in Microsoft and bought the team in place of Woody Johnson. Either that or I would of went back and made sure to loan Hugh Hefner some money to start up his little magazine company back in the day.

That's what you'd do if you had a time machine??? WEAK!

I'd have invested everything in Microsoft and bought the team in place of Woody Johnson. Either that or I would of went back and made sure to loan Hugh Hefner some money to start up his little magazine company back in the day.

well yea, I would do ALOT of things to better my life, but I would also make sure Bradway took Brady in the 5th rd and Ed Reed in the 1st.

Why would you want Bradway to take Brady in the 5th when the Jets had a 1st round pick in PennyBoyWonder? :shock:

So the Jets would have a good backup in Brady. And the patriots would have continued to be a low-class loser organization without any SB Rings and ESPN ass-kissing 24/7.

So the Jets would have a good backup in Brady. And the patriots would have continued to be a low-class loser organization without any SB Rings and ESPN a$$-kissing 24/7.

Bellicheck would have found a way to win with Rohan Davey. Let's fact it, Tom Brady didn't make the Patriots, Drew Bledsoe simply sucked enough to keep them from winning.

there was a time I was having this same conversation with some of the same posters, except the subject of the thread was Ellis, not Thomas.

When BT was drafted, Abe had just spent the Oak playoff game too drunk to play. Ellis was a DT convert back to DE and not producing any sacks, and NEARLY EVERYONE was calling him a bust.

Both of these players snapped back into all-pro form, that doesn't change the fact that during the 2002 draft the state of the NYJ DE corp was sh-tty. People forget that Terry was just let down by his DE in the playoffs.

as for Thomas he has made plays, people just don't remember them because they weren't all sacks. There was a play when the colts were driving and he rushed Payton Manning into a 3rd down INC, almost a red zone pick. Another play in that colts game, Thomas basically sacked Payton outright (in the grasp) but PM intentionally grounded the ball, the Jets obviously took the penatly. There have been plays when the opposing tackle robbed BT and the ref saw it and called holding - these are all plays that contribute to the ultimate success or failure of a team - just because they aren't sacks doesn't mean they aren't important plays.

the problem with the 2002 draft wasn't the Bryan Thomas pick it was the Jon McGraw pick. The Jets passed on Reed b/c they assumed they could get a safety as good or better than the first round guy. If the Jets had taken Shelton Brown or Michael Lewis, both taken by the Eagles in back to back picks after McGraw was taken by the Jets, then there would have been no problem. Instead the Jets never got the safety help they needed.

Don't forget that in 2002 it was the swan song of Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones, playing in the piece of sh*t Ted Cottrell Read and React hybrid defense. You guys really think that Ed Reed steps off the plane and into that situation he's the same player he is today after playing with Ray Lewis, Boulware, getting coached by Donnie Henderson? No way. Ed Reed is good but the Ravens defense was legendary when he arrived and it helped make him the pro he is today. I guaruntee you that in an alternate reality where the Jets drafted Ed Reed, he's simply not the same player. The draft isn't just about drafting a player in a vacuum it's about matching a player to a program. Bryan Thomas was a bad match because he's a starter that doesn't start. Ed Reed was a great match for the Ravens. These things happen.

The wrong way to look at the situation is to equate these players and say that Thomas is less than Reed, hence it was a bad pick. Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round does that make every pick before it for 5 rounds plus a bad pick? No. If we are judging draft picks by the number of HOFers pick afterwards, then 99% of picks are busts.

Bryan Thomas can play in this league. He can start. He's very fast. He's actually faster in 10 yard sprint than many cornerbacks in the same draft. He has great pass rush moves. He can tear ass across the field and play the run in back side pursuit. He doesn't get hurt. he doesn't complain. He's a quality player with upside. Is he a HOF'er in the making? No. Is he a bust? No.

It is possible to be somewhere in the middle ya know.

Even if you think Terry is a moron - Would Al Davis try to trade for a bust? Because the DE needy Raiders pursued BT after the 2002 season. Real GMs don't trade for busts, they trade for undervalued players with upside. That's what BT is. He's a starter with upside. Not a bust.

Seriously - if you think Bryan Thomas is a bust - you aren't knowledgable with what the term "bust" means, also you aren't watching on the rare occasions when he does take the field. Johnny Abe could leave after this year, the Jets sign Bryan Thomas long term on the cheap and be just fine.

This isn't like being a Herm apologist - Bryan Thomas really doesn't suck. I shouldn't have to explain this once a week, especially after we saw the late development of Ellis and the even later development of James Farrior.

Archived