Hypothetical Penny Question: If he gets hurt this year...

TomShane

If Pennington gets hurt this season and misses, say, 6 games and San Diego calls you after the season and offers you Philip Rivers for your first rounder and a three, do you at least think about it?

Absolutely. Bring him in for a workout, see how he looks. Certainly doesn't hurt to look.

It would depend on the circumstances of the injury. If he comes out of the gate shaky and then has a totally new injury week 10 then yes you need to look at alternatives. But if he re injures the shoulder early in the season and misses some games than I think you need to keep Fiedler around and draft a guy who you can possible develope.

I am just not convinced that Rivers is the guy TS-a lot of people like him but I have my doubts on him but if Chad can not show the ability to play either all or most of the season other alternatives have to be considered

If Pennington gets hurt this season and misses, say, 6 games and San Diego calls you after the season and offers you Philip Rivers for your first rounder and a three, do you at least think about it?

Yes, I would think about it. Who knows how much Rivers really has in the tank since he hasn't played much.

BZ

Speakin on Rivers. I know he makes good insurance if Brees goes down, but how can you just let a top 5 pick ride the bench for 2 straight seasons? :shock:

Because Brees is better and gives the team a better chance to win.

Hell, Pennington rode the pine for 2 and a half seasons behind an INFERIOR quarterback.

From an ESPN chat with CM:

Jeff (New Haven): Can Pennington to Coles be the same as it was before Lavernous sold out?

Chris Mortensen: (12:38 PM ET ) I don't think so, but a lot will depend on whether both Pennington and Coles are as healthy as they were when they played together. The foot/toe injuries have nagged Coles,. who is as tough as they come. And Pennington is the only QB I can remember who had this kind of rotator cuff surgery and is trying to make a comeback. We'll see.

Is it true that this is the first QB to have this type of surgery?

Because Brees is better and gives the team a better chance to win.

Hell, Pennington rode the pine for 2 and a half seasons behind an INFERIOR quarterback.

I already acknowledged that. But sucking for a season and getting a top 5 pick, than not having that top 5 pick play, it just seems stupid. I know he wont start or anything and he's a great insurance policy, but still...........

Pennington sitting behind Vinny for nearly 3 years has really come back to bite us in the a**. Worst move this Jets Franchise has done the past 5 years, bar none.

Rivers is totally unknown -never played a down in the NFL- I will go with Fiedler as a capable enough guy to win in this league and not sacrifice precious draft choices

actually Rivers got some garbage time last year if i remember correctly

I thought Rich Gannon had the exact same surgery.

Didn't Jim Miller have something similiar?

If Pennington gets hurt TS , we will have to see how Fiedler performs in this offense under our new OC.

If he is a flat out failure, then yeah we need to begin thinking about starting over with a young QB.

If he is a flat out failure, then yeah we need to begin thinking about starting over with a young QB.

Wow, how times have changed.

Just 3 short years ago Jet fans were claiming that PennyBoy was a much better QB then Brady.

Guess that's why they play the games. :wink:

Wow, how times have changed.

Just 3 short years ago Jet fans were claiming that PennyBoy was a much better QB then Brady.

Guess that's why they play the games. :wink:

That quote was about Fiedler TXy.

Hope you didn't c*m in your shorts.

Sorry to ruin your outdated, rundown material.

Yea, it's not like the Jets would waste one on a friggn' kicker or something like that.

Tx... is it a waste if the kicker does in fact, win games for them? And he's around for the next 15 years? Cause, you can ask the Lions if they wasted a second round pick on Jason Hanson all those years ago.

As for Penny, I'd take a trip to the glue factory... and he woudln't get to go.

Or I'd take him out back, shoot him, and sell him to the glue factory... whatever. :lol:

No i don't think about it....I do it without any thought whatsoever.

Didn't Jim Miller have something similiar?

If Pennington gets hurt TS , we will have to see how Fiedler performs in this offense under our new OC.

Supposedly no two shoulder injuries are the same. At least that is what I heard a physician mention.

If Chad is seriously hurt again, I'll go nuts. This guy has had TWO SERIOUS injuries in consecutive years.

I would not let him go(we can't afford to anyway, cap hit would be brutal)but I would seriously be disapointed and my expectations of Chad would be also be shot.

Chad is almost like Pedro martinez, in this sense. You know he's good, damn good, but his health will always be a question mark. Can you win with him, despite the risk?

With our luck, Chad would leave, win a ring or two and be a Pro Bowler every year.

If Pennington gets hurt for an extended amount of time this year, then it's very likely that the Jets will have a fairly high pick in next year's draft. I'd rather take my chances and draft a quarterback straight out of school, rather than throw in a third rounder to pick up a guy entering his third year that has seen virtually no action. Rivers would be further along than a rookie quarterback mentally, but having a grasp for schemes, etc. is a whole world of difference from actually going out and producing.

I was never sold on Rivers. He had a weird throwing motion in college and the offense completely revolved around him, which is why he put up the huge numbers. I'm pretty sure I'd rather take my chances with Chris Leak, Reggie McNeal, or Vince "Neil" Young.

• 1 month later...

BUMP!!

If Chad goes down with another shoulder injury, I would not hesitate to give San Diego our 1st and 3rd rd pick for Phillip Rivers.

Rivers is just gonna rot on the bench for another season now??? Kind of a waste pick huh.

I think when all is said and done. Rivers will have a far better career than Roethlisberger and Eli Manning.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived