Star Ledger article- Abe likely a no show

faba

More | Subscribe | 14-Day Archives (Free) | Long-Term Archives (Paid)

JETS NOTEBOOK

Abraham likely camp no-show

Friday, July 22, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham, who wants a long-term contract, has refused to sign a one-year, $6.67 million tender offer as the club's franchise player and isn't expected to report to training camp on time.

The Jets report to camp on Thursday.

"I can't tell you when John is going to be here," general manager Terry Bradway said yesterday. "I think at some point he's going to be here. ... Nobody is mad. It's part of business."

It's highly unlikely Abraham is going to sit out the season and forfeit $6.67 million. And it's just as unlikely the Jets will give in to Abraham's demand of a long-term deal. Abraham can wait until the week of the opener to report without losing any money.

Coach Herman Edwards, who spoke to Abraham about a month ago, said he's not worried about Abraham and is confident the player will be in shape when he does show up because "I know John Abraham."

While the Jets readily admit Abraham is a prolific pass-rusher, they've balked at giving him a long-term deal because of his injury history. He has missed 23 of 80 career games in five seasons and two playoff games. In 2001, he got sick the night before a playoff game against the Raiders and played only briefly.

Bradway said he hasn't spoken to Abraham's representatives, Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, since the blackout on talks was lifted on July 15.

Bradway said a long-term deal can't be discussed until Abraham signs his one-year tender. That, however, is a mere technicality. Abraham is said to be willing to sign the tender with the promise of a new deal, but the Jets have refused to make such a promise.

Rosa refused to comment on negotiations.

Abraham, who suffered a torn lateral collateral ligament in his left knee last season, feels he's the team's best defensive player and deserves a long-term deal. His injuries, his representatives have said, have all been legitimate.

In March, Abraham's representatives gave the Jets a proposal for a new deal that would protect the club against the player being injured, but the Jets rejected the offer.

Bradway said the

club has spoken to the agent for ex-Patriots CB Ty Law but nothing is imminent. Signing Law, who is reportedly seeking $7 million per season, appears to be a long shot.

RB Curtis Martin,

32, will have a similar preseason workload (20 to 30 carries) as last season, Edwards said. ... Edwards said he's eager to see competition at strong safety, cornerback, right tackle, tight end and defensive tackle. ... The team is high on rookie S Kerry Rhodes. ... Eighty-five players are on the roster

This is the classic case of a player we need when healthy because he is a dominant player that we need on defense but his dedication, heart and work ethic is lousy

Abraham will be an injury waiting to happen...I predict groin or hamstring...he cant stay healthy when he is in shape let alone when he will be missing camp. And Herm, you know John Abraham? who the guy that promised he would sign the tender. God damn joke

this is a disaster waiting to happen. i am not sure that there is even a potential good ending to this one. i doubt abe is in shape, so if/when he shows up who knows what he will bring to the table.

if the jets could get a first rd pick for him they should just move him now and forget about it.

this is a disaster waiting to happen. i am not sure that there is even a potential good ending to this one. i doubt abe is in shape, so if/when he shows up who knows what he will bring to the table.

if the jets could get a first rd pick for him they should just move him now and forget about it.

Walter Jones always held out on his FA tender till the last possible m0ment, and always was ready when teh bell rang.

Not that the 2 are related in any way, but a player CAN come in, with an absence of work in casmp, and fit into a scheme and play well

Let me preface my statement by saying that I truly am a die-hard Jets fan. However, I have absolutely zero respect for John Abraham - even before he predicted that the Steelers would make it to the Super Bowl and all of that bs. He is shiftless. He can't stay healthy and I hope to Christ that the Jets do NOT sign him to a long term deal before the season. Because, we all know that he will amazingly be healthy this year and have a great season so that he can rape some other team out of a ton of dough (Just look at Cliff Floyd's season for example).

I am disgusted by this fool and I would rather not have him on my team.

Yeah, I said it. He is one-dimensional, not a "team player" and not a stand-up individual.

There, I have said my peace. Thank you and good night!

Not to rip your point Scott but you cannot compare an offensive lineman to an oft injured speed rusher. Totally different demands on the player.

4h I disagree. Blocking schemes and cohesion on an offensive line can't be overrated enough.

DE is often a game of one on one match-ups.

I understand your point, but I would disagree that O-line is a plug and play position

John Abraham wears a bra.

And a girdle.

And if he doesn't he certainly should!!!

I know how good JA is and how important he is to the team, but since the Raiders flu thing I have been skeptical, then after last season, when he was cleared to play in the playoffs and chose not to then screw him.

Who in their right mind would want to do two-a-days? You didn't think he wasn't going to hold out? He'll be in before the second pre season game.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

We have a winner here.....

It seems like most of these guys that refuse to sign their tender, end up signing at or near the end of training camp. It's almost become normal.

Unless the Jets get into a situation like Ogunleye and Miami found themselves, Abraham will sign, and have to prove himself. If he doesn't, he has until week 10 to suit up to get credit for the season. If not, he just wasted a year. If he does, he gets to play the remaining games, gets credit, and has the pleasure of doing it all over again next season.

Holding out will only cost him money. He will lose out on salary and get fined the longer this continues. Even after all of this, he still would have to prove to teams that he can play a full season without missing time.

The problem is this. What shape will he come into camp? Will he balloon or will he be winded? How is his stamina? Guys that hold out also tend to suffer MORE injuries. The nagging type, like pulled hamstrings, etc that can derail a season.

Abe will skip the two a days, and come back just before the season. Imho.

I have to amend something here. Abe cannot be fined, since he technically isn't under contract.

Walter Jones and Orlando Pace held out for years, and could not be fined. They just weren't paid.

Mike McKenzie, on the other hand, WAS under contract and was fined a boatload, and never made back the money. New Orleans has not redone his contract.

Archived