Journal News: 10 Questions for the Jets

TomShane

10 questions for the Jets

By THE JOURNAL NEWS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: July 25, 2005)

What about Pennington's health?

Quarterback Chad Pennington underwent shoulder surgery in February. But he has yet to put on pads, hasn't taken a hit and needs to work under pressure in a new offensive system. He'll be under close scrutiny while Jay Fiedler, the new backup, learns the ropes.

Is Abraham ready?

Word has it that defensive end John Abraham has been working with a personal trainer. Unhappy with his contract, he missed all of the team's offseason workouts. Will be arrive in camp on time? Will the team's best sack man, who has missed 13 regular-season games due to injuries the past two seasons, be in shape when he does arrive? Will he settle for $6.7 million as a designated franchise player?

Who's this year's new safety?

Erik Coleman won the starting free-safety spot as a rookie last season. Now the oft-injured Jon McGraw, Oliver Celestin, Rashad Washington, Derek Pagel and 2005 draft picks Kerry Rhodes and Andre Maddox will compete for the strong-safety spot vacated by the release of Reggie Tongue.

Who'll fill in at corner?

With the retirement of left cornerback Donnie Abraham, a world of opportunity opened for candidates such as Ray Mickens, a nickel back who missed last season with an injury; Pete Hunter, a newcomer from Dallas who is also coming off surgery; 2004 draft pick Derrick Strait and 2005 pick Justin Miller. "It's wide-open," coach Herman Edwards said.

Will Ferguson be missed?

The Jets will rotate along their defensive line, but the loss of nose tackle Jason Ferguson will give the team cause to do even more this year. Massive 6-foot-3, 335-pound rookie Sione Pouha is the top candidate to replace Ferguson. Starter and former first-round choice Dewayne Robertson begins his third camp at tackle.

Can Jones tackle another loss?

Second-year player Adrian Jones, with little experience at the position, has been designated to replace free agent Kareem McKenzie at right tackle. Just in case, second-year player Marco Cavka and others are on hand to work in an offensive line that is talented but becoming long in the tooth.

Was Hackett really the problem?

The Jets hired offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger away from Tennessee to replace Paul Hackett and open up their downfield attack. Laveranues Coles returns to replace Santana Moss at one receiver spot. Will Pennington get the reps he needs to become familiar with the new system?

Are the tight ends improved?

Not willing to continue with the disappointing Anthony Becht, who left via free agency, and apparently not satisfied with backup Chris Baker, the Jets acquired Doug Jolley from Oakland for a first-round pick. This camp will help determine how Jolley and Baker fit into the offense.

Can Nugent handle the spotlight?

When a team takes a kicker with its first draft pick, as the Jets did with Mike Nugent of Ohio State in the second round this year, he can be expected to produce. Doug Brien's replacement has until Sept. 11 to familiarize himself with the pro game. That's when the honeymoon ends.

Next?

The Jets have had a different primary punter in each of the last four seasons. Australian rules footballer Ben Graham and veteran NFLer Micah Knorr are this year's candidates. The Jets, who had the worst punting numbers in the AFC last year, are intrigued by Graham. Special-teams coach Mike Westhoff speaks highly of both kickers.

Yeah, that article kinda sucks.

Really, the only question the Jets have for this year is this: Will Herm F#ck up?

Nah I have another one:

Will Nugent hit 90% or 95% or 100% of his Field Goals?

The Jets have had a different primary punter in each of the last four seasons. Australian rules footballer Ben Graham and veteran NFLer Micah Knorr are this year's candidates. The Jets, who had the worst punting numbers in the AFC last year, are intrigued by Graham. Special-teams coach Mike Westhoff speaks highly of both kickers.

i hate to put the spotlight on punters, but this should shape up as one of the more interesting training camp battles. i am really hoping the aussie can pull this out. with a strong D and a good FG kicker: #1 no more punt from the 30 yd line. that was freaking embarassing, and the jets were 1 of the only teams that routinely had to do that. #2 when the O goes 3 and out it would be nice to have a punter with a cannon who can move the ball to the other side of the field. P, CB, and S will make for some very interesting camp battles.

i hate to put the spotlight on punters, but this should shape up as one of the more interesting training camp battles. i am really hoping the aussie can pull this out. with a strong D and a good FG kicker: #1 no more punt from the 30 yd line. that was freaking embarassing, and the jets were 1 of the only teams that routinely had to do that. #2 when the O goes 3 and out it would be nice to have a punter with a cannon who can move the ball to the other side of the field. P, CB, and S will make for some very interesting camp battles.

My guess is Knorr is going to win the job because they don't wanna give Nugent a guy who has never held a ball for FG's for Nugent, they want someone with some expierence with a decent leg and that guy is Knorr, so I just think Knorr wins the job, unless of course they plan to use Fiedler as a holder? and I'm not sure if he has any expierence in that department.

Archived