Nugent

Maxman

I was thinking about this kid and man the Jets sure do have a lot riding on him.

If he has a terrible camp, just terrible...what do they do with him? What if he misses 50% of the fields goals in camp?

I don't think it will work out that way. But it is a scary thought.

Max, as president of the Mike Nugent fan club and his biggest fan Jets fan wise, I think that this thread should be deleted immediately!

Nugent hasn't done that bad in his entire life! let alone in training camp. The man has great accuracy and has always came up in the clutch and has done so in sh*tty weather. Nugent is going to go out there and perform just as he always has. Sure, he'll have some bumps in the road and it wouldn't surprise me if he missed a 40 yarder early in the season but by seasons end I expect him hitting a 50 yard game winner against New England the day after christmas. The kid struggled a little in the beginning as a freshman at Ohio State but by seasons end he had improved and sophmore-senior year he was lights out. Nugent won't miss 50% of his field goals, that just isn't happening. Nugent for President. Peace.

There is a lot of pressure from the fans and the media in New York- that is a given. Nugent played with a big time program and kicked in front of 100,000 or so at Ohio St.

Still there is nothing like a game at the Meadowlands with the cross wind that you have to experience

mike nugent is the most highly regarded kicking prospect to come out since janikowski. Some gurus and scouts actually regard him higher than the Polish Howitzer, due to his sound mental approach.

Does that all add up to him 100% guarunteed not being a bust? no but all indicators are that Nugent will be servicable - at worst. He could be lights out awesome and the best kicker in franchise history. Where exactly he falls in that spectrum, time will tell - i think one of the least likely outcomes is the one you outline here Maxie.

mike nugent is the most highly regarded kicking prospect to come out since janikowski. Some gurus and scouts actually regard him higher than the Polish Howitzer, due to his sound mental approach.

Does that all add up to him 100% guarunteed not being a bust? no but all indicators are that Nugent will be servicable - at worst. He could be lights out awesome and the best kicker in franchise history. Where exactly he falls in that spectrum, time will tell - i think one of the least likely outcomes is the one you outline here Maxie.

Bit...I liked the pic. Really did. Brien needed to go. Anyone else they brought in would have been a person who got cut somewhere else.

Just strange because he could lay a total egg in camp and the Jets are stuck with him.

Again...I don't believe it will happen for a second.

Bit...I liked the pic. Really did. Brien needed to go. Anyone else they brought in would have been a person who got cut somewhere else.

Just strange because he could lay a total egg in camp and the Jets are stuck with him.

Again...I don't believe it will happen for a second.

There's always Xavier Bettita, Mr. Wide Left. :shock:

Nugent For President.

I have few worries about Nugent being an absolute success this year. Firstly, his leg strength is rare and comparable to only a few kickers in the league (Vanderjagt, Vinatieri, Janikowski, Mare). Secondly, he's used to the pressure. THE Ohio State University could have more fanatical fans than the Jets and the 100,000+ fans weekly should have made Nugent used to the pressure. Thirdly, I have little doubt that Nugent will be unable to make the personal adjustment to the NFL. As a kicker, he was a CAPTAIN for Ohio State becuase of his leadership and performace on the field. Characteristics like that don't change when you go to the NFL.

Nugent is absolutely worth our first pick...and he will surprise us all on the field.

one more thought -

if you consider that Justin Miller at 26 was a very real possibility - one that most fans would have been just fine with -

the fact that they got this exact same player 31 picks later, they got Jolley, they got extra 6ths which not only brought in possible steal Cedric Houston but allowed the team to trade up for Rhodes (who I feel will be a starting safety sooner or later) - that all adds up to the Jets were playing with house money with that Nugent pick. It was a free roll.

Let's say Maxie's worst case scenario comes to bear (highly unlikely, but let's just say that for sake of argument) - the team would essentially be in the same position it was prior to the offseason - looking for UDFA and scrap-heap guys to upgrade the PK position. As PatsFanTX likes to harp, there are always guys out there. The Jets tried to solve the problem with a splash, but if that doesn't work out there's nothing to stop open auditions.

What I am trying to say is that there is no real downside to this Nugent pick, when we consider the draft as a whole. They got a 3 year pro who was a second rounder, a first round caliber possible starting CB in the second round and Houston and Rhodes plus Nugent all essentially for the 26 pick (and the 4th for Rhodes) - That's drafting for value, anyway you look at it.

Let's say Maxie's worst case scenario comes to bear (highly unlikely, but let's just say that for sake of argument) - the team would essentially be in the same position it was prior to the offseason - looking for UDFA and scrap-heap guys to upgrade the PK position. As PatsFanTX likes to harp, there are always guys out there. The Jets tried to solve the problem with a splash, but if that doesn't work out there's nothing to stop open auditions.

What I am trying to say is that there is no real downside to this Nugent pick, when we consider the draft as a whole. They got a 3 year pro who was a second rounder, a first round caliber possible starting CB in the second round and Houston and Rhodes plus Nugent all essentially for the 26 pick (and the 4th for Rhodes) - That's drafting for value, anyway you look at it.

bit, that is one of your better arguements with relative facts. I agree with you if you look at the draft as a "whole", it is much better than focusing on individual selections. Great point.

Although I will never agree with selecting a kicker in the 2nd round (for any team), the Jets weighed their "risk versus reward" and thought it would pay off.

The only downside to your situation if Nugent is a flop (and I am not saying he will be) is that he will be receiving a #47-slotted contract with at least 4 or 5 years.

Releasing him early would have significant cap ramifications versus somebody brought in as a UDFA.

And that is what the call, THE POST OF THE DAY.

bit, that is one of your better arguements with relative facts. I agree with you if you look at the draft as a "whole", it is much better than focusing on individual selections. Great point.

Although I will never agree with selecting a kicker in the 2nd round (for any team), the Jets weighed their "risk versus reward" and thought it would pay off.

The only downside to your situation if Nugent is a flop (and I am not saying he will be) is that he will be receiving a #47-slotted contract with at least 4 or 5 years.

Releasing him early would have significant cap ramifications versus somebody brought in as a UDFA.

Im not sure a kicker falls under the same salary slotting process..anyone know for sure?

Im not sure a kicker falls under the same salary slotting process..anyone know for sure?

13, not 100% sure on this, but I believe where you are drafted establishes the "slot" and positions are pretty much irrelevant.

This from Len P. at ESPN:

At least publicly, no one is pushing the panic button, but some team or agent is going to have to step forward boldly and break the logjam. Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents three No. 1 choices, acknowledged that player representatives by nature prefer to follow someone else's lead. That is typically the case with the NFL's "slotting" system, a stair-stepped approach in which the contracts are graduated based on a player's draft position.

"But agents all want to wait," Rosenhaus said. "There's a fear factor involved in being the guy who goes out and does a deal. You're always thinking, 'OK, what if the guy behind me does a deal for more money now?' But it's not all the fault of the players and agents, OK? I think we have seen an unprecedented level of offseason participation by draft choices this year. Most of these teams have had these players in mini-camps for months, and have had plenty of time to get them into the system and evaluate them.

13, not 100% sure on this, but I believe where you are drafted establishes the "slot" and positions are pretty much irrelevant.

This from Len P. at ESPN:

At least publicly, no one is pushing the panic button, but some team or agent is going to have to step forward boldly and break the logjam. Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents three No. 1 choices, acknowledged that player representatives by nature prefer to follow someone else's lead. That is typically the case with the NFL's "slotting" system, a stair-stepped approach in which the contracts are graduated based on a player's draft position.

"But agents all want to wait," Rosenhaus said. "There's a fear factor involved in being the guy who goes out and does a deal. You're always thinking, 'OK, what if the guy behind me does a deal for more money now?' But it's not all the fault of the players and agents, OK? I think we have seen an unprecedented level of offseason participation by draft choices this year. Most of these teams have had these players in mini-camps for months, and have had plenty of time to get them into the system and evaluate them.

thanx Tx, I of course am hoping the position does matter, but it is what it is so just sign him and get him in camp

thanx Tx, I of course am hoping the position does matter, but it is what it is so just sign him and get him in camp

The Jets pressing need is to get Miller signed and into camp on time, much more so than Nugent.

The urgency of having a CB in camp Day 1 is much greater than having a kicker in Day 1.

The Jets pressing need is to get Miller signed and into camp on time, much more so than Nugent.

The urgency of having a CB in camp Day 1 is much greater than having a kicker in Day 1.

I agree (DOH, I DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT DID I?) :-s

Unless Nugent is the best kicker in the NFL next season, even as a rookie, he will have fallen short of expectations. Drafting a kicker in rd 1 should equal the expectations of a # 1 overall pick at a different position. If he misses a single kick this year, he should be booed loudly.

Unless Nugent is the best kicker in the NFL next season, even as a rookie, he will have fallen short of expectations. Drafting a kicker in rd 1 should equal the expectations of a # 1 overall pick at a different position. If he misses a single kick this year, he should be booed loudly.

80, that's a little unrealistic and I wouldn't even say that.

Here's the thing, rookie kickers usually have a tough year in their first season. If Nugent hits 75% or more of his kicks that would be pretty good.

But that's not why the Jets drafted him in the 2nd round. The reason why was to nail the longer, clutch, pressure kicks to win games.

He can miss a few 45-yarders in the 1st quarter but if he lines up with the game on the line and shanks a 38-yarder to cost the Jets a game, lookout. #-o

80, that's a little unrealistic and I wouldn't even say that.

Here's the thing, rookie kickers usually have a tough year in their first season. If Nugent hits 75% or more of his kicks that would be pretty good.

But that's not why the Jets drafted him in the 2nd round. The reason why was to nail the longer, clutch, pressure kicks to win games.

He can miss a few 45-yarders in the 1st quarter but if he lines up with the game on the line and shanks a 38-yarder to cost the Jets a game, lookout. #-o

Enough with the fluff, Tx. If Nugent misses a single kick this season, I DEMAND he be removed from this town on a rail. :lol:

Good Idea 80..............NOT

Unless its for a game winner or to put the team in the lead its not a good idea to boo nugent really badly.....Last thing we need is for him to be unconfident and nervous to go out there the next time and kick the football.

i assume this is sarcasm? [-o<

i assume this is sarcasm? [-o<

Yes, but there is truth to it. There may never have been a kicker who has come into the league with such high expectations. Janikowski was a 2nd rounder, true, but who cares about the Raiders? This is New York, baby. Nugent needs to kick at about an 85 % clip this year and hit some clutch ones to make due for being drafted rd 2.

Archived