Daily news article -Ty Law watch continues

faba

Ty leans toward Jets

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Ty Law likes the idea of playing for the Jets.

Free-agent cornerback Ty Law, who said Monday that he's "very interested" in the Jets, also indicated that he expects to pay a visit to Weeb Ewbank Hall to take a physical and work out for team officials.

It appears to be just a matter of when.

Jets GM Terry Bradway, who acknowledged last week that the team is showing interest in the former Patriots All-Pro, said yesterday through a team spokesman that "we don't have anything on the calendar for Ty Law to visit."

But the calendar can change. It's believed the Jets, without a clear-cut starter at left cornerback, will invite Law to Hofstra for a look-see before engaging in serious negotiations.

Law, trying to convince teams that he's 100% after a serious foot injury, visited the Lions Monday for the second time. While tossing the obligatory compliments to the Lions, Law also told the Detroit media, "I'll work out for New York and I'm actually very interested in New York as well."

When asked if there was a possibility he'd be playing for the Jets, Law said, "Very much so."

The Jets, Lions, Jaguars and Chiefs appear to be the most serious suitors. The Lions reportedly will make an offer. Law is believed to be seeking around $6 million a year, but no one seems to be willing to meet his asking price - not yet, anyway.

The Jets open camp tomorrow. Right now, the left-cornerback position - vacant because of Donnie Abraham's recent retirement - is wide open, according to coach Herm Edwards. The candidates are Ray Mickens, recently acquired Pete Hunter and rookie Justin Miller.

Where Ty Law ends up is the biggest football story out there- especially considering we are one of the possible clubs involved.

Just not the same effect with Boulaware

true, but every LAW thread tells us the same thing...lol...

my take from yesterday's Ty watch;

I'm seeing this possible move another way;having a shutdown corner could be protection for us if John Abraham decides to hold out for an extended period-I don't see that happening but the thing this F.O. has thankfully learned is to NOT repeat the mistakes of the past.The Feidler signing is a perfect example-if Chad gets hurt we don't leave ourselves in the position we found ourselves in when Vinny went down in '99.Ty Law would make up PARTIALLY for the absence of the Abraham pass rush void.I think we sign him-I HOPE we do,if we get him,good,if not I'm OK with that too....BUT we BETTER get #94 in the fold if we don't sign Ty Law.

Archived