Jets news 5/ 25/ 08

Kentucky Jet

Jets taking it slow with Miller and knee

By Hoss Aultman

Posted May 24, 2008

Jets cornerback Justin Miller hurt his knee last summer, and he's still working his way back to full health.

The Jets are taking it slow with Miller, and he's still not full go.

"We are still working through things," said Jets coach Eric Mangini. "When you move from the weight room stuff to the on-the-field stuff you want to take it slow and err on the side of caution."

Mangini thinks Miller will be 100 percent by training camp, but for now, they are being careful with the talented kick returner.

"We will just keep progressing him along and the movements and things and make sure that each step is right," said Mangini.

Stadium naming rights deals grow pricier; New Giants, Jets stadium could set record

By JANET FRANKSTON LORIN , Associated Press

Last update: February 10, 2008 - 1:47 PM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - All sports teams want bragging rights, but with the cost of a new stadium now more than $1 billion, it's naming rights they're after.

As several of the most storied franchises in sports replace their stadiums, sports marketing experts expect corporations to pay record amounts for the right to name them.

And the teams are finding ways to make the big price tags worthwhile by maximizing the amount of exposure of a company's name and logo, even integrating it into the design of the building.

"There's more value to what's being offered," said Marc Ganis, president of SportsCorp Ltd., a Chicago sports marketing firm. Especially in the New York market, where several new stadiums are going up and garnering record deals, corporations are getting more exposure and visibility, he said.

Already sold for record numbers: rights to the New York Mets' new stadium, purchased by Citigroup Inc. for more than $400 million over 20 years. Next up, the Chicago Cubs, as its new owner, Sam Zell, says he wants revenue from the historic ball field that still bears the name of a former owner that pays nothing to call the stadium Wrigley Field.

But the deal expected to set naming rights records is the new football stadium for the New York Giants and New York Jets in East Rutherford.

The stadium would create a historic proposition, Ganis said: The most value ever offered, in the most expensive media market, and for two NFL franchises. He predicts the deal to go for at least $25 million to $30 million annually.

"The NFL is such a marketing juggernaut in the world of sports, that there's just no other league that's close to it," said Denver sports consultant Dean Bonham. While he wouldn't estimate the amount, he predicted it would be a landmark deal.

Naming rights prices are escalating for several reasons: public support to build stadiums is waning, player salaries are increasing, and stadium construction costs are rising. Stadium costs are "out of control," said Ganis, from the $325 million it cost to build the New England Patriots' Gillette Stadium in 2002 to $1.3 billion for the Giants and Jets stadium opening in 2010, a 300 percent increase.

David M. Carter, executive director of the Sports Business Institute at the University of Southern California, said recent deals are moving away from just advertising and branding. For example, the Oakland A's new Cisco Field would use Cisco Systems Inc.'s technology to enhance ticketing, concessions and management of game-day operations.

"These newer deals are crafted as very, very elaborate business alliances such that these corporate partners are really involved in the building," he said.

Such will be the case, literally, at the new home of the Giants and Jets, where less will mean more.

The teams are seeking only five corporations who will pay to see their names on the stadium: One for the building itself, and four others in each corner of the structure, rather than the hodgepodge of billboards seen in other stadiums. Jeff Knapple, who is marketing the naming rights deal, declined to discuss an asking price.

"We feel the marketplace is always challenged by clutter," he said.

Uncluttering the field could make it more likely for the sponsors to be seen on TV broadcasts, therefore making it more valuable.

If the stadium brings in at least $25 million to $30 million annually as predicted, and with the four additional sponsorships, the teams could get more than double or even triple what the highest deal has brought in so far.

That belongs to the New York Mets, which will receive $20 million annually from Citigroup to name its new baseball stadium, or about $400 million over a 20-year contract. The New Jersey Nets got a similar deal from Barclays Bank PLC for their proposed new arena in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The Mets wanted a sponsor to extend the reach of its brand globally, and New York-based Citigroup was a perfect fit, said Dave Howard, the team's executive vice president of business operations. More than many teams, the Mets have drawn players from around the world.

"New York is the most international city, quite frankly in the world," he said. "It made a lot of sense to have a substantial New York presence as well as a global perspective."

For the sponsors, the reasons to enter into a long, expensive naming rights deal are varied, whether it's global expansion or hometown pride. Timing is also important.

Barclays wanted to expand its brand to the U.S., said Nets CEO and President Brett Yormark. The arena, part of a $4 billion project, has also earned cachet with star architect Frank Gehry and Brooklyn's reputation as an up-and-coming borough, he said.

"It's not about the team," he said. "It's about the building. This will be landmark building, a destination area."

For Prudential Financial Inc., the decision to buy the naming rights to a new hockey arena meant improving its hometown of Newark, N.J., said Arthur Ryan, Prudential's chairman who retired as CEO last month.

Since its October opening, the Prudential Center name is heard daily on radio, the Internet and in print as the new home of the New Jersey Devils. Prudential paid $105.3 million over 20 years.

And before the Nets and Mets deals, the Houston Texans had negotiated an annual $10 million from Reliant Energy for its stadium that opened in 2002. Team president Jamey Rootes said Reliant wanted to take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring a football franchise back to Houston.

Some teams hold out, however.

The Washington Nationals are still talking with potential candidates for a naming rights partner for their $631 million, publicly financed stadium, which opens this spring, said team president Stan Kasten.

"I don't know if anything will be done by opening day," he said. "There's not a particular deadline. We want partner to be correct and deal to be correct."

The New York Yankees balked at selling naming rights for a new stadium opening in 2009, potentially leaving hundreds of millions on the table.

Randy Levine, the team's president, said a naming rights deal would diminish the team's value.

"The Yankee Stadium name is sacred," he said. "Yankee Stadium is the cathedral of baseball and would be unseemly for a naming rights deal."

The ****pit

Home 2008 Schedule Author Information Depth Chart Friends Five May Jets Predictions

By Joe Caporoso | May 24th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

The news is a little slow on the NFL front and my plane for Cabo got delayed a day, so here is five predictions about the Jets for the upcoming season after free agency, the draft, rookie camp, and OTA

Clemens throws a beaut to Coles - 50 yards

Date: May 23, 2008

At Thursday's practice, Kellen Clemens threw an impressive 50-yard fly pattern to Laveranues Coles. It was a tremendous throw. This play received a lot of media attention. However, while this throw was outstanding, it doesn't mean much in the team's on-going QB competition.

GRABBING BARGAINS IN THE LATER ROUNDS

By LENN ROBBINS

DENNIS DIXON

A Steeler steal?

April 28, 2008 -- Because the NFL opted to begin its draft at 3 p.m. Saturday instead of noon, only two rounds were completed. The Post looks at the most impressive picks from Day 2. Both the JetsNew York Jets and Giants made the list and former Jets and Giants coach Bill Parcells, who did a great job in the first two rounds for the Dolphins, kept it going.

ROUND 3

DOLPHINS (3rd pick, 66th overall) - Kendall Langford, DL, Hampton. Tuna will get the 6-foot-5, 287-pounder to be consistent.

STEELERS (25, 88) - Bruce Davis, OLB, UCLA. When the Bruins upset USC in 2006, Davis was unblockable.

GIANTS (32, 95) - Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan. Jerry Reese does it again! Amani ToomerAmani Toomer also wore the Maize and Blue.

ROUND 4

BROWNS (12, 111) - Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri. Team him with Kellen Winslow Jr. and create mismatches.

JETS (14, 113) - Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State. A true ball-hawk who had 26 picks.

EAGLES (18, 117) - Quinton Demps, S, UTEP. Brian Dawkins is in his twilight and Sean Considine can't stay healthy.

ROUND 5

STEELERS (21, 156) - Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon. Think Antwaan Randle El.

GIANTS (30, 165) - Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt. Was considered as good as Curtis Lofton (2nd round) and Beau Bell (4th).

ROUND 6

BENGALS (11, 177) - Corey Lynch, S, Appalachian State. Watch the final play of the Michigan upset.

RAVENS (40, 206) - Haruki Nakamura, D, Cincinnati. Martial arts black belt with great football intuition.

ROUND 7

BEARS (41, 248) - Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas. On the rare occasion the Hogs threw it, he caught it.

Jets' Jenkins putting weight issues behind him

By Dennis Waszak Jr., AP Sports Writer

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — Kris Jenkins really loves to eat. He's quick to acknowledge his passionate palate, and the proof is right there in a big, green No. 77 jersey.

"I'm a food person," the New York Jets' hefty defensive tackle said Thursday. "I think I've got like a second career whenever I retire as a food critic."

And people would certainly trust his dining suggestions. You don't get to 360 pounds without eating your share of savory and rib-sticking meals. Maybe Jenkins should consider a "Kookin' With Kris" show after he's done with football.

"No, man," he said with a laugh. "They don't want me in the kitchen burning it down."

Actually, Jenkins is a lot more health conscious these days. He's about 30 pounds lighter than he was at the end of last season with Carolina, when he tipped the scales at over 390.

"It's getting to the point in my career now where every little bit helps, especially when you're getting the double teams often," he said. "It's helping alleviate the pressure on my joints and I feel great. Doing what I've done now, I wouldn't go back the other way."

When the Jets acquired the 6-foot-4 Jenkins from the Panthers for third- and fifth-round picks, coach Eric Mangini told him to be at 360 when he reported for organized team activities. Jenkins, expected to be a nose tackle in the Jets' 3-4 defensive scheme after playing in the Panthers' 4-3 most of his career, hit the diet trail.

"One of the things I realized was that I can't eat less to lose weight," Jenkins said after the second OTA open to the media. "I have to eat right. So, everything's whole grains and things like that. I have to eat my carbs. I have to do the things I always do, but I just have to make sure the food I put into my body is good food."

That means no more white rice, greasy burgers, cheesy omelets or sugary cereals.

"If I do go to a sushi restaurant, I get the sashimi instead of the sushi with the rice on it," he said. "Certain things like that, I just have to change what I eat. For breakfast cereal, no Fruity Pebbles. I go for the Fiber One. Things like that, eggwhite omelets and taking the yolks out."

Weight has always been an issue for the 28-year-old Jenkins, who frequently had conflicts with Carolina coaches because of it. Jenkins, who said there's no bad blood between him and the Panthers, made a conscious decision to finally drop the pounds because of his fiancee, Tashia, and three children.

"Eating isn't just about football," he said. "It's a way of life and I want to be around for my kids. To me, they're more important to me than all of this, and that's what I used to motivate me to get the weight down."

Make no mistake about it: Jenkins is still a big man, there's just less of him - and he plans to lose more before the season begins. He's surprisingly quick and agile, and even Mangini was impressed, saying last week: "He makes 360 look good. I wish I could say the same. He's a fluid athlete, especially for someone his size."

Jenkins' size was actually one of the major reasons the Jets went after him. After two seasons of unsuccessfully trying to convert 315-pound lineman Dewayne Robertson into a nose tackle, New York decided to plug in a guy who fit the physical description of the position. Confident he'd do the job, the Jets signed Jenkins to a five-year, $35 million contract extension the day they acquired him.

"Right now, it's different," Jenkins said. "My whole career except my rookie year, I've always played a single-gap defense. You just go up field and disrupt. Now, it's fun. I love the challenge because now I have to be basically the stud."

Mangini said Jenkins has been committed to making the conversion from defensive lineman, where he was a three-time Pro Bowl selection.

"He's doing a good job," Mangini said. "It takes some time to understand how to two-gap. ... He's working at it and we see some progress there as well."

The hope is that Jenkins will shore up the run defense, which struggled last season, by providing a space-eating body that teams have to double team. That will free up the other linemen, as well as the linebackers.

"I'm not concerned," he said. "I think once I get more comfortable in the defense and as camp goes on and everything, I'll get familiar with it and pick up the speed a little bit."

Meanwhile, Jenkins is using the health kick to discover new foods and cooking products, such as the one he was excited to share with reporters.

"I'm learning about truffle oil right now," he said. "That's something different. It's olive oil, but they infuse it with truffles, so it's real healthy. It's heart healthy. It tastes so good."

Hey, if Jenkins says so, you've got to trust the man.

The Associated Press

Posted 4d 4h ago

Date: 2008-05-22T01:28:08

"The Mods are at it again!! In the original thread, the Mods made it impossible to respond to posts...thereby killing off the thread. These NY Times employees are becoming extremely annoying. So...heres' "Jets" Goodell Won't Close Spygate 2...and my original post on the matter:

Roger "Jets" Goodell continues to leave open the possibility of further investigation of the Patriots. At his final press conference at the owners meeting, "Jets" said that "the league has no plans to conduct an independent investigation of the Patriots' videotaping procedures at this time."

By this statement, "Jets" is inviting, and perhaps even encouraging, further attacks by the media and the Matt Walshes' of the world against the Patriots. Bob Kraft and the Patriots should do everything in their power to neuter his authority, and oust him as NFL Commissioner.

Once again, in defense of the Patriots, here are the words from NEInsider, which the NY Times Mods chose to delete in the aforementioned original thread:

1. PURPOSE OF TAPING: We taped defensive signals and offensive formation signals and we still have video of other teams taping us. They are of little value since no team uses the same signals even from game to game, quarter to quarter, and sometimes from series to series. We do it to FORCE the opposition to stay on thier toes and change signals hoping they mix up signals and have a bad play that results in a big play for us. There are no offensive signals only formation signals which are useless and they were taped at the same time as offensive signals and WERE possibly even on the Spygate tape. Any claims are baseless on this;

2. AS TO WHY THE PATS DID NOT RESPOND TO THE BOGUS ALLEGATIONS: As to those that wanted Bill to talk about it after it happened this is what happened. We were forbidden by the NFL and God, aka Goodell, from speaking about this in public to ANYONE. Bill was told to keep his mouth SHUT and to offer no comment before and AFTER the initial resolution by the NFL. If Bill had commented or held a press conference the fine and penalties would have been increased. This indicated to us we were guilty before any investigation and were the example Goodell wanted to show the NFLPA he wasn't biased towards players only. Quite pathetic if you ask me but again we were wrong and put ourselves into this position;

3. THE PATS DID NOT WANT THEIR TAPES GIVEN TO GOODELL TO BE DESTROYED: We did not want the tapes destroyed. We preferred they be released since they basically proved we did nothing since some of the tapes destroyed were processed tapes that prove there was little value to us other than aggravating the other team . Several showed coaches waving to our videographer, several other with obscene gestures, coaches laughing at us, and some hot cheerleader video for the enjoyment of those given the boring job of proecessing video that had zero intrinsic value;

4. AS TO WHETHER TAPES GAVE PATS A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE: Based on player involvement and packages sent onto the field we know instantly what the base defense is before we call the offensive signal. Tom then looks at the manner in which the opponent lines up and 75% of the time knows the exact defense being run and after the snap knows what is happening 99% of the time. If a team throws a new wrinkle it is cataloged and legally photgraphed from the Coaches Box and sent automatically down for analysis. Sometimes, think Giants in SB, it takes time to re-tool the offensive scheme for a great defensive game plan. By the end of the Superbowl we had the Giants defense figured out but in a tribute to the Giants DC that defense was a thing of beauty and the most difficult defense to decipher. It is sort of what we did to Rams in 2001 SB. Eventually they figured it out and thankfully for us in 2001 and unfortunately for us in 2007 SB it was too late. That defense will NEVER work against us again;

5. "JETS" GOODELL HAS MADE ENEMIES: Goodell has serious issues within the NFL ownership. He has not made friends with his inability to keep his mouth shut before issues are resolved within the framework of the NFL structure. The Niners organization is livid at him for the sanction they received over free agent contact since they never initiated the contact and in this case everyone really does it;

6. KRAFT FAMILY LIVID AT GOODELL: The Kraft family was a Goodell supporter and will never openly criticize him but they are livid over the way Spygate was handled and the fact Goodell hung them out as "Cheaters" when he absolutely knew it never helped during a game and then on national TV aknowledged frivilous accusations like phone tampering etc. when he stated more punishment would be added if necessary instead of doing the right thing and stating such claims were baseless without proof since he knew we could never tamper with phones since we never knew what system or what frequency was availbale to us until game time. A little clue on this one. Not having Robert and Jonathon Kraft on your side makes job security an issue since they are the deal makers and the ownership most willing to compromise to help the smaller market teams. In other words they have lots of friends in the NFL ownership circle;

7. ON MATT WALSH: We knew early on about Mr Walsh. Goodell should have headed this off but for whatever reason did not. Goodell let it come to what it is today since we were forbidden to talk about it again. We were assured by Goodell nothing would come of it since there was nothing he could have that could harm us. From day one Goodell knew there was no available power to video anything during a walkthru and that we had NO batterypacks when there to setup our cameras. The fiasco at the Superbowl is Goodell's fault and it did not cost us the win. The Giant defense won the game but it certainly made the experience at this Superbowl unpleasant. This was another strike with the Kraft family in particular;

8. ON JOHN TOMASE: I now believe John Tomase was set up by either Spector, Comcast, or Walsh's lawyer or a combination thereof with that story and I actually think they were the source. In retrospect he probably should have known better since his sources had agendas but Tomase was always one of the most pleasant reporters around the team. It is sad but he could lose his position over this because certain unscrupulous politicians, lawyers, and companies had an agenda designed to embarrass the NFL and used him as a dupe. For Tamase's sake I hope he recorded those conversations and realizes his ultimate responsibility is to release those conversations, if he has them, let the truth come out, and possibly save his butt. At worst he should reveal who they were and let the chips fall where they should."

Archived