Joe Paterno- time for him to quit-opinions?

faba

I probably have more of an opinion than most on this board as I am a Penn State fan and went to school at Penn State.

I was fortunate enough to be there for 2 Natl Championships in '82 and '86.

I have seen what this man has done for this University and not only for the Sports and Atletics Department.

I have had this man walk up to me on the street, slap me on the back and ask me how Finals were going. (Ha, I had taken that semester off and was high at the time-Got ya Joe!)

The man has EARNED the right to call his own shots on how he exits. The man does not have an ego that places him above the program and I trust his desire to do what will be right for the program.

He has done some piss poor things with the program recently (Starting Robinson at QB this year, essntially burning another year of eligibility for Morelli, and blowing Morelli's redshirt last year among that).

But what he has done for the program is fairy tale stuff. When he took over the program, I believe Beaver Stadium was a 65,000 seat venue. Today, it is well over 100,000. It still fills every week. Eastern football was scoffed at.

The program has never had to have any NCAA investigations. The term student/athletes is as true as any University. I am not making them out to be saints, as I have witnessed things myself, but in teh context of all other schools, they are among the best.

More than anything, I also know that PSU will not go outside to look for a coach. It is not their style. He just better not bring in that cocky SOB son of his Jay, in to coach.

Joe deserves to go out his way

good blurb there dierk & I tip my hat to you for attending such a fine school as penn st.

I don't argue the fact that he should be allowed to choose his exit strrategy but c'mon, you of all people should wanna see him go & be remembered for all the fine accomplishments rather than a guy who stayed waaaaaay too long

good blurb there dierk & I tip my hat to you for attending such a fine school as penn st.

I don't argue the fact that he should be allowed to choose his exit strrategy but c'mon, you of all people should wanna see him go & be remembered for all the fine accomplishments rather than a guy who stayed waaaaaay too long

I would like to know of an exit strategy and what the thinking is of that.

As well, I can understand that they are unwilling to publicize his exit strategy, because it very well may deter some recruits.

This is a big year for Joe. They brought some outstanding skill position people into the program, something they had not done in a bit of time. It will be interesting to see how quickly and well Joe gets them into the fold.

This may be cold, but everyone has to retire. There's nothing sadder than a guy who stays at the office until he drops because he doesn't know what else to do with himself. Go play with the grankids, go to the track, go toAtlanti city (like my dad, wasting our meager inheritance!), take up golf, go fishing, get drunk, hang out in titti bars, what ever. Because the game has passed him by.

This may be cold, but everyone has to retire. There's nothing sadder than a guy who stays at the office until he drops because he doesn't know what else to do with himself. Go play with the grankids, go to the track, go toAtlanti city (like my dad, wasting our meager inheritance!), take up golf, go fishing, get drunk, hang out in titti bars, what ever. Because the game has passed him by.

I was going to suggest visiting the national parks but with those glasses, I think he is deemed a fire hazzard :lol:

don't look now but Penn State could actually be decent this year. :mrgreen:

Their defense will be outstanding. The LB unit will be reminiscent of the days of yore. Dan Connor is a true stud.

The questions remain about O-line, how much Robinson can progress at QB and can tehy integrate the young talent at WR.

8-3 is a possibility. I hesitate to go higher than that.

That woudl be a good start in reclaiming some former glory

Paterno is one of these old guys who think the building will fall when he leaves. Guess what-it will still be there. At this point staying si seflish. he's done a lousy job. The PSU offense is fromt he stone age. His selfishness has cost PSU and it's cost a decent young coach-possibly a PSU assistant- a shot at proving he can do the job. Move on, enjoy your life and you family. Because you don't have much time left.

As good a man and coach as he was and is, hanging around for the sake of hanging around is tarnishing his legacy. Go have a banquet, get the gold watch, take the Mrs. on a grand tour of Europe and do all those things you couln't before because you were coaching.

And if he dies in his office, he'll be a pathetic example of a workaholic a-hole. Don't want to hear what a great guy he was if that happens, because this ongoing sitaution will blot all that good out.

Paterno is one of these old guys who think the building will fall when he leaves. Guess what-it will still be there. At this point staying si seflish. he's done a lousy job. The PSU offense is fromt he stone age. His selfishness has cost PSU and it's cost a decent young coach-possibly a PSU assistant- a shot at proving he can do the job. Move on, enjoy your life and you family. Because you don't have much time left.

As good a man and coach as he was and is, hanging around for the sake of hanging around is tarnishing his legacy. Go have a banquet, get the gold watch, take the Mrs. on a grand tour of Europe and do all those things you couln't before because you were coaching.

And if he dies in his office, he'll be a pathetic example of a workaholic a-hole. Don't want to hear what a great guy he was if that happens, because this ongoing sitaution will blot all that good out.

Sounds like my High School coach.

• 4 months later...

Well he has had one very good season-this year- in about the last 10 years. Fair enough. But now's the time he should go out on top. Beat Bowden and ride off into the sunset.The man has nothing else to prove. Go enjoy the time you have left.

Well he has had one very good season-this year- in about the last 10 years. Fair enough. But now's the time he should go out on top. Beat Bowden and ride off into the sunset.The man has nothing else to prove. Go enjoy the time you have left.

Your statement of one good year in the last 10 is certainly exaggerated. It is teh last 6 seasons where the problems have been, and hionestly, most universities would LOVE to have teh problems that PSU had.

Bugg-If the man enjoys coaching football, and has proven he can still get results, why do you begrudge him something he enjoys doing?

Dierk-

Paterno isn't getting any younger. Better to end a high note and enjoy your life than die at your desk. He's a good man and a great coach.Go out on top.

Bugg-I am sure that he has an exit plan. Heck, this might be his last game, who knows.

He is just hesitant about talking about exiting and it is understandable why. It affects recruiting.

I do know one thing, with the last recruiting class, he did not guarantee them that he would be there for their Senior year. He has not done that before, that I can recall.

Bradley is pretty much set up as the next coach for PSU, after Paterno leaves. He is a great recruiter and kids love working with him. PSU WILL NOT go outside of their university for a coach. It is just not the way they work.

Paterno will have his work cut out for him next year. Basically, both lines need to be revamped, Morelli will need to step in at QB, the secondary will all be new and Posluzny needs to decide if he will go pro.

All that said, I think PSU will be very good next year too.

Archived