Abraham news

Bugg

As per Brandon Tierney on ESPN, Abraham will sign the tender offer if the Jets agree not to trade him this year and also agree not to franchise him in 2006.In light the jets being a win now team, I'd be shocked if the jets don't sucumb to this. And really, Abraham is in for a rude awakening on th FA market unless he plays hard for the full schedule.2006 will take care of itself, and by then the Fins and Bills will be better.

As per Brandon Tierney on ESPN, Abraham will sign the tender offer if the Jets agree not to trade him this year and also agree not to franchise him in 2006.In light the jets being a win now team, I'd be shocked if the jets don't sucumb to this. And really, Abraham is in for a rude awakening on th FA market unless he plays hard for the full schedule.2006 will take care of itself, and by then the Fins and Bills will be better.

Hmmm. Good tidbit, Bugg. The Jets will have to take that deal and hope for the best. Like you said, if Abe turns bitch halfway through the year and decides to sit out again, no one is going to pay him. I hope he's saving his money. How much does a fifth of Wild Turkey and a new telephone pole cost anyway?

Think that we plan on using an $8M franchise tag on Abe next year (20% increase over this year's $6.7M)? If he plays 16 games they'll want to lock him up; if he doesn't they shouldn't want to spend $8M on him for one year. Then again, just because there were no takers this year to get a 1st-rounder or more for Abe's rights doesn't mean there won't be one next year. But it would set a dangerous precedent league-wide, where agents would want to put language in every high-profile player's contract that they won't be franchised at the end of the contract. Or that anyone signing a franchise contract would want it in writing that it's a one-shot deal.

Don't think the Jets can really worry about 2006 right now. Figure the Pats regroup form Weis and Crennel leaving; Lohsman has a year under his belt and Saban gets the Fins house in order-all in 2006.Get the best squad on the field in 2005 and go for it. As big a toolbag as he may be, Abraham is talented. he might even be better on what amounts to a 1-year make good contract. As Bob pointed out a few days ago, cannot imagine what a lazy POS Abraham would be if he did get long-term max money.

Yes, it's a dangerous precedent. But Abraham either performs up to a stellar contract and the Jets rewards him or someone else does so, and they apply the cap savings to replace him or to other spots in their 2006 roster, or he sheets the bed again in which case no team including the jets is giving Abraham $ 8 million for 2006. And I doubt any team is ever giving this guy a max long-term deal with the way he's treated Edwards and the Jets anyway.

Don't think the Jets can really worry about 2006 right now. Figure the Pats regroup form Weis and Crennel leaving; Lohsman has a year under his belt and Saban gets the Fins hosue in order-all in 2006.Get the best squad on the field in 2005 and go for it. As big a toolbag as he may be, Abraham is talented. he might even be better on what amounts to a 1-year make good contract.

Yes, it's a dangerous precedent. But Abraham either performs up to a stellar contract and the Jets rewards him or someone else does so, and they apply the cap savings to replace him or to other spots in their 2006 roster, or he sheets the bed again in which case no team including the jets is giving Abraham $ 8 million for 2006. And I doubt any team is ever giving this guy a max long-term deal with the way he's treated Edwards and the Jets anyway.

Except maybe the Redskins.

Is that really a franchise or just some NFL-sponsored alternative to "Playmakers"? Can imagine most Skin practices begin with the players pushing themselves away fomt the breakfast tables in their easy chairs and being asked politely byt the staff to hang up on their brokers. You mean we actaully have to play?Can we just hit the links instead? It's too hot!

As much as I would not trust a long term deal with abe- I guarantee some team will ante up when and if the time comes- playmakers and pass rushers are at a premium in the league.

When they actually play that is I might add

Isn't that the exact same deal Shaun Alexander got with the Seahawks?

This would be absolutely stupid on the Jets part to tie their hands with regards to all their options with Abe.

Because it's so stupid, the Jets will probably agree to do it. #-o

I like this better, but not 100% liken it.

If Abraham has a great season and stays healthy in 2006 we can just sign him to a long term deal.

But what if he misses a few more games. We would have to franchise him again, IMO, you dont just let him walk out the door.

Abraham can shove it. Sign the tender, but if the Jets want to franchise you again, I guess your poor stupid drunk ass will just have to live with a 7 million dollar paycheck. Poor Poor Abraham

This would be absolutely stupid on the Jets part to tie their hands with regards to all their options with Abe.

I agree. Bradway don't give Abe anything extra. He should be happy he is getting $6.7M and just shut up.

Why would we give up the right to trade him? At $8M next year they probably won't franchise him anyway.

You nailed it.

Damn straight. Give him nothing! Starve him out! F-him until he calls you his favorite uncle Jimmy and promises to never, ever tell because he knows that if he did, uncle Jimmy would take him far away and he'd never get to see his parents again!!!

Hoooo. Deep breath. Sorry. The flashbacks are a bitch. What was I saying?

Ah yes. Abe...You Stole fizzy-lifting drinks. You then bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed, and sterilized, so you get...Nothing!!! Good day sir! I Said Good Day!!!

Who cares if we agree? If he stays healthy and plays well, then we re-sign him I mean we certainly can't continue to franchise him. That'd end up costing us more in the long run. If he doesn't stay healthy and can't stay on the field, well then adios. It really didn't minimize our options much at all. In fact it just continues in the line of what we'd be doing anyway.

Who cares if we agree? If he stays healthy and plays well, then we re-sign him I mean we certainly can't continue to franchise him. That'd end up costing us more in the long run. If he doesn't stay healthy and can't stay on the field, well then adios. It really didn't minimize our options much at all. In fact it just continues in the line of what we'd be doing anyway.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

BTW, "continue" to franchise him? Dude, we have yet to frachise him. Let me guess, you sucked at Monopoly, right? :lol:

Because it's so stupid, the Jets will probably agree to do it. #-o

couldn't agree more. Why let abe call the shots?

I SAID GOOD DAY!

BTW, "continue" to franchise him? Dude, we have yet to frachise him. Let me guess, you sucked at Monopoly, right? :lol:

On the contrary, I was awesome at Monopoly. Although I'd always cheat by putting extra money underneath the board on my side. I was the Bill Belichick of Monopoly you could say.

Couldn't help but notice where you got that image in your signature from. Where have you been traveling to? INQUISTION!!

somebody Pm'd it to me....but thanks for asking...Ive been banned over @ JI for being so damn sexy...You like the pic?

nice huh?

the point here is that if the Jets do indeed decide sometime during or after the season that they want to sign Abe longterm, they lose leverage bigtime if they don't still have the franchise tag hanging over his head. this would create a bidding war and the Jets would almost certainly lose him, or else overpay. they need to retain the tag option as leverage.

bad deal. they have Abe over a barrel and don't need to give in to his demands. he's not going to leave 6.7M AND a chance to showcase himself on the table by not reporting before the season starts.

Archived