Strahan retiring

Matt39

Much like his "enemy" Tiki Barber, he has the bright lights in his future. Isn't his a frequent "guest" host on that Gawd awful show, Bet Damn Sports Show Period? He'll puruse and capitalize on his "celebrity" without having to kill himself doing it. Not the dumbest thing in the world....plus, he goes out on top. He's a champion. Most likely a first ballot HOF'er. Can't get any better than that professionally.

Aren't we being a little harsh? It's not as if its a Patriot retiring and hes still a New Yorker. He put the pressure on Brady in the Superbowl and he had a good season. His career was winding down anyway, i wouldn't blame him for going out on top.

Who cares. The selfish bastard would only come back if the Giants payed him $8 million in 2008. They wanted to pay him $4 and upped it to $6. He turned it down. Good for him as he goes out as a Super Bowl Champion and a flawed sack record.

Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora were better pass rushers in 2007 anyway.

I have a funny feeling the Giants are going to go after Jason Taylor. He'd be a perfect fit in that defense plus he wants out of Miami.

Long, long shot.

Taylor has already stated he wants to play just one more year and the Giants did not want to pay Strahan Jason Taylor money, so why would they trade a 1st day draft pick to pay Jason Taylor $8 million a year for a one year player when they could've done the same with Strahan?

Also, they have depth at Defensive End.

Osi Umenyiora

Justin Tuck

Mathias Kiwanuka (who will play both OLB and DE, supposdely)

Renaldo Wynn

good thing he'll probably be in broadcasting. Good description by the way.

He does have a big stupid head. There is no other way to describe it. He's like Shrek's cousin or something. I hope he won't be broadcasting a lot. It's bad enough having to deal with chicken head Collinsworth and the rest of the idiots that are already in the broadcasting world.

Long, long shot.

Taylor has already stated he wants to play just one more year and the Giants did not want to pay Strahan Jason Taylor money, so why would they trade a 1st day draft pick to pay Jason Taylor $8 million a year for a one year player when they could've done the same with Strahan?

Also, they have depth at Defensive End.

Osi Umenyiora

Justin Tuck

Mathias Kiwanuka (who will play both OLB and DE, supposdely)

Renaldo Wynn

Outside Osi the Giants don't have a proven every-down starter at DE.

Tuck is a situational pass rusher, not an every down player like Strahan (at least he hasn't proven himself to be that yet), Kiwanuka is a linebacker and Renaldo Wynn is 33, a situational pass rusher and is simply not very good.

Remember, the Giants defense didn't start to turn around last season until Strahan started playing like Strahan in week 3 or 4. The first two weeks of the season the Giants defense looked awful and got blown out.

This team is built around the pass rush and when you lose a superstar pass rusher and leader of your defense you have to replace him with something comparable (i.e - Jason Taylor).

Outside Osi the Giants don't have a proven every-down starter at DE.

Tuck is a situational pass rusher, not an every down player like Strahan (at least he hasn't proven himself to be that yet), Kiwanuka is a linebacker and Renaldo Wynn is 33, a situational pass rusher and is simply not very good.

Remember, the Giants defense didn't start to turn around last season until Strahan started playing like Strahan in week 3 or 4. The first two weeks of the season the Giants defense looked awful and got blown out.

This team is built around the pass rush and when you lose a superstar pass rusher and leader of your defense you have to replace him with something comparable (i.e - Jason Taylor).

I agree that they'll miss Strahan, but Kiwanuka is not a LB. He was converted to LB from DE and was still learning the switch. He's not at Strahan's level at this point, but calling him a LB would be equivalent to the Jets going 4-3 at midseason and complaining that Gholston can't play DE because "he's a LB". IMO they will not touch Jason Taylor and it would be a mistake to go after him. There are better ways to replace an aging superstar than getting another aging superstar.

at the risk of gettin banned by faba, I've always liked strahan. He was good for the game imo. pretty well spoken funny guy from what i've seen on tv.

At the very least you need to have your NFL Talk priviliges revoked. faba, please restrict joewilly to the lounge. Thanks in advance.

Again PN, they weren't going to pay Strahan Taylor type money for one season so they are not going to give up a draft pick to pay Taylor for one season. Mathias Kiwanuka is not a Linebacker. They may use him at both positions, but in pass rushing situations he will switch down to end. Apparently, they are already using him in that exact role.

There is no need for the Giants to aquire another Defensive End, and they won't. Umenyiora, Tuck and Kiwanuka will do the job with Wynn coming in as well.

Archived