Michigan picked to win Big 10 in league poll

faba

Michigan chosen as preseason favorite in Big Ten

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer

August 1, 2005

AP - Aug 1, 5:52 pm EDT

More Photos

CHICAGO (AP) -- Michigan was selected as the preseason favorite to win a third straight Big Ten football title on Monday, and that's just fine with coach Lloyd Carr.

``I hope, as usual, you know what you are talking about,'' Carr told a huge group of media at the conference's annual preseason gathering. ``Our goals are high.''

Michigan, which has played in back-to-back Rose Bowls, was followed in the preseason balloting by Ohio State and Iowa, which tied for the title a year ago with a 7-1 conference record and has won at least 10 games three straight seasons.

Iowa quarterback Drew Tate was picked as preseason offensive player of the year, and Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk as preseason defensive player of the year.

One team that didn't make the top three was Purdue, even though the Boilermakers return 20 starters and don't have to play Ohio State or Michigan this season.

``We have Ohio State and Michigan right where we want them,'' Purdue coach Joe Tiller said. ``Some years the schedule rolls your way and sometimes it doesn't. There are a lot of other good teams. I don't think you make assumptions about anybody.''

New conference coaches Terry Hoeppner of Indiana and Ron Zook of Illinois expressed their excitement at competing in the league. Both will be taking over struggling programs whose teams will be tested greatly in their first seasons.

As Hoeppner and Zook got ready to enter the league, Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez has one more season to pace the sidelines before he leaves. Alvarez announced last week he was stepping down to devote full energy to his job as the Badgers' athletic director and turning over the program to defensive coordinator Bret Bielema.

``The only thing that will change this year is Bret will be in charge of recruiting. ... I don't anticipate any distractions,'' Alvarez said.

And the biggest change Alvarez has seen as a head coach since he took over a struggling program at Madison in 1990 and turned it into a three-time Rose Bowl winner?

``I think the biggest change is the Internet ... now every word uttered by a coach to a recruit is known nationwide in a matter of minutes,'' he said.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno didn't attend Monday's session because of a personal matter but is scheduled to appear Tuesday. Paterno will be entering his 40th season as head coach and trying to get the Nittany Lions headed back in a winning direction.

Iowa is a team that can be very good

As long as Lloyd Carr is coach, UM will do nothing. Even though I'll always root for EMU, my alma mater, UM is my adopted team. Lloyd Carr has no balls whatsoever and it costs him every year. They might win the Big 11, but they'll blow whatever game gets them into the BCS, guarenteed.

When did Purdue become so big? They've always sucked.

I don't blame the players. Michigan has talent. They have talent on defense. Tons of it. How couldn't they? They're Michigan. They get the best players in the land. It all comes down to coaching, and as GOB said, Lloyd Carr is a pussy. As is the rest of this staff.

Purdue returns all 11 starters on Defense and was off to a great year before Orton collapsed and blew the game against Michigan in which they only lost by 2 points.

After that point the team was never really the same losing a series of games by 2 or 3 points.

Also if Michigan has the best athletes in the country then how come They weren't that good last year? Coaches can make a bad team good but in my opinion they can't turn a Great team bad. Players have to make plays and they're defense has been less then impressive for a few years now.

Any team with Braylon Edwards hands down the best Reciever in college last year should not have as much trouble scoring points as Michigan did.

I also said Purdue has an easy sched. thats why I mentioned them obviously they are no powerhouse team but don't be surprised if there are 3 teams in the big 10 next year finishing in the top 15 in the country.

Purdue returns all 11 starters on Defense and was off to a great year before Orton collapsed and blew the game against Michigan in which they only lost by 2 points.

After that point the team was never really the same losing a series of games by 2 or 3 points.

Also if Michigan has the best athletes in the country then how come They weren't that good last year? Coaches can make a bad team good but in my opinion they can't turn a Great team bad. Players have to make plays and they're defense has been less then impressive for a few years now.

Any team with Braylon Edwards hands down the best Reciever in college last year should not have as much trouble scoring points as Michigan did.

I also said Purdue has an easy sched. thats why I mentioned them obviously they are no powerhouse team but don't be surprised if there are 3 teams in the big 10 next year finishing in the top 15 in the country.

This is not an excuse, but you do realize that Edwards played with a true freshman at QB and RB?

That Michigan was as successful, desptie playing with a rookie backfield says much to me. How good will they be this year, with Henne and Hart having a year under their belt?

Although I hated losing to Texas, the experience for them was tremendous. Michigan will be better this year.

Oh, and I do agree with GOB and SS. Carr helped us win one championship, but he is much too conservative for my tastes.

Purdue has always sucked and always choked, historically, so they don't scare me, in the least.

Yes, coaches can ruin great talent. It's called poor development. Michigan has, year in and year out, top ten recruiting classes, so yeah, they are bringing in the top talent in the country. Their coaches are horrible. They are way too conservative. They don't take chances. And they play zones. It's the least aggressive defense and offense in the nation. Most times I feel they win inspite of Lloyd.

Michigan loses two starters off their offense. They lose two starters off their defense. Their true frosh QB and RB both have a year under their belt. They return Gabe Watson, the man child in the middle of that defensive line. Michigan isn't going away. Purdue isn't going to be anywhere near the top three. Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State (that really hurt to type), and Michigan are gonig to be the top four.

And I hated giving that loser in Texas his first big win. That hurt, alot.

Michigan losing Braylon will hurt a lot, as he was "the man" in 2004.

But, I think him and the FB Dudley (fringe player) are the only losses on offense....Avant and Breaston need to step up at WR. Neither is as good as Braylon was, but both should improve from 2004.

Both TE's are solid, All-Star caliber young QB & RB will be helped by A-1 offensive line.

Defense looks pretty good too.

Problem is, they are 1 of about 4 or 5 teams that can win it all. Every season, it comes down to 2 or 3 "key games" and they rarely sweep those games.

In that way, they are like Ohio State prior to Tressell arriving--always "on the cusp', can't win it all and lose too many big games.

I agree about Purdue. They lost so many great players in the 2004 draft and really did need to regroup and can now go foward, if the QB is solid...

They should be talented--best D-Line in America?

BTY, we reported Purdue lost it's best recruit EVER to academic problems today...Nedless to say, Tiller is peeved :x

You're right Shadow, I had a sneaking feeling I was missing a O-Lineman, and Baas is big name.

Thing is, there are 2 Net sites that do daily notes: While the other site gives daily updates on draft signings (news you can find anywhere), we decided a week after the draft to move away from the recent draft picks, so I all suddenly equate Baas with Vinny T-- yesterday's draft news :lol:

4 months ago, I know his weight, height and 40 time...Now, I think I remember him being picked by the 49ers....

I can see your frustration as a Wolves' fan.

Oh god, it's bad, brotha. I mean, they win a National title in 98 (it was sh*t they shared that. It was a gift to osbourne as retirement from the coaches) and they proceed to get beaten down. Why? Because Michigan is the easiest team to game plan for. They're so predictable!

And Baas was taken by the Niners. First pick of the second round. And don't sweat it brotha. what y'all do is unique. Truely one of a kind. And, I'm almost positive I owe y'all some write ups... :lol:

I'm never worried about their offensive line. Never have been. What worries me is their defense that hasn't been around since 98 and their predictable offense that when they get into a lead, they just go real conservative.

Hail! to the victors valiant

Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes

Hail! Hail! to Michigan

the leaders and best

Hail! to the victors valiant

Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,

the champions of the West!

Shadow, as a Big East fan, I can only hope our teams had Michigan's problems :wink:

Actually, I can't blame you, as the Wolves never play to their talent level, it seems...Appears to be in the coaching.

You are right about the O-line, for whatever reason, they know how to find big, mid-western OL's (I realize Baas was from Florida) :P

Any input you give from the Wolves standpoint would be welcomed, even just opinions as an intelligent fan that watches them week in and week out.

Oh god, it's bad, brotha. I mean, they win a National title in 98 (it was Sh#t they shared that. It was a gift to osbourne as retirement from the coaches) and they proceed to get beaten down. Why? Because Michigan is the easiest team to game plan for. They're so predictable!

And Baas was taken by the Niners. First pick of the second round. And don't sweat it brotha. what y'all do is unique. Truely one of a kind. And, I'm almost positive I owe y'all some write ups... :lol:

I'm never worried about their offensive line. Never have been. What worries me is their defense that hasn't been around since 98 and their predictable offense that when they get into a lead, they just go real conservative.

Michigan NEVER has an issue with their offensive line.

NEVER.

Nebraska has always been known for it's linemen, but I'll argue that Michigan has produced the best, every time.

Dan Dierdorf, Steve Everitt, Jumbo Eliott, Jon Jasen, David Baas, Jon Runyan, Steve Hutchinson, Jeff Backus, and Maurice William easily come to mind.

Oh, and Jonathan Goodwin. :lol: How the hell? Almost forgot him.....

What bothers me is that Carr was the D coach and we've never been the same.

• 1 month later...

Archived