Peter King @ Jets Camp From SI

Smizzy

Training Camp is About the Little Teaching Points

Hempstead, N.Y. -- 10:40 a.m. ET

What you don't see much on TV is how players learn. It's an interesting process. Players just show up on Sept. 11, or whenever opening day is, and they all move in this orchestrated way, most of the time perfectly, and you wonder, "How did that happen?''

Here's how.

The Jets have just finished a morning walk-through practice on their FieldTurf practice pitch at Hofstra University. And now, on the near sideline, Curtis Martin has called over Chad Pennington and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. I can hear a little bit, though I'm not supposed to. The Jets have installed a mostly new offense this summer, and Martin is unsure how he's supposed to block his man in a certain complicated protection.

Hands are moving this way and that, and Heimerdinger is moving from side to side. Pennington is chiming in with some hand movements, and Martin, at last, nods. And they all move toward the locker room.

Heimerdinger tells me how Martin was confused, and how he wanted to make sure that if he sees a certain rush scheme, he'd know how to block it. How much respect do you have for a guy standing out on the field for 20 minutes in broiling heat just to illuminate a point about a blocking scheme that might come up two or three times all season?

Hempstead, N.Y. -- Noon

Chatting with Herman Edwards. Is there a more engaging, respectful-of-the-game coach in football today? Can't think of one.

Golden Retriever Sculpted Mugs and Gifts

Beautiful, sculpted ceramic golden retriever coffee mugs, treat canisters, mouse pads and more.

teamlogo.com

Golden Retriever Guide

Learn how to make your Golden Retriever happy, healthy and obedient. eBook $19.95 with 2...

www.all-about-puppies.com

How to Train Your Golden Retriever

How to train your Golden Retriever in 15 minutes a day, guaranteed. Request information here.

www.clikdog.com

Golden Retreiver Gear

3,900 plus unique Golden Retreiver items. T-shirts, bumper stickers, hats and more.

www.cafepress.com

He's big on slogans. Like this one on the far wall: No Excuses. No Explanation. Just Results.

It's Not Always Football. Sometimes It's About Pedro.

Hempstead, N.Y. -- 1:10

The scouts will break camp late this afternoon to ride the 15 minutes over to Shea Stadium. Mets-Brewers, with dinner in owner Fred Wilpon's box before the game.

"Pedro's going tonight!'' GM Terry Bradway says.

Lots of closet baseball fans in the NFL, you know. Like Mike Tannenbaum, the pro personnel director and salary-cap czar here.

"Six in a row,'' he crows when I see him in the hallway near Edwards' office. I know what he means. He's talking about his Red Sox.

Before I leave, Tannenbaum asks me: "Where do you think Ty Law ends up?''

"Right here,'' I say.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/08/03/jets.diary/index.html

Heimerdinger tells me how Martin was confused, and how he wanted to make sure that if he sees a certain rush scheme, he'd know how to block it. How much respect do you have for a guy standing out on the field for 20 minutes in broiling heat just to illuminate a point about a blocking scheme that might come up two or three times all season?

quote]

Is Peter King sure that

they weren't conspiring

on how to pad Martin's number

of carries this season? !!!!! :roll::roll:

I am sick of

these writers who

are complete Martinette's!!!! :evil:

Emersoon Boozer would stand out

in 120 degree temperture

back in the day!!!!!!

Peter King is such a clown....always giving someo a wrap around. (usually B.Belicheck)

Why do I always find myself looking for his MONDAY MORNING QB though? If he nothing else, he's always good for a football fix.

If you're familiar with his articles, you'll recall (and probably cant stand) his updates on his daughters FIELD HOCKEY exploits. Annoying as all hell.

One time, I posted that I wanted to see his daughter get wacked across the shins with a field hockey stick and some poster started attacking me for condoning child abuse. :shock:

Is Peter King sure that

they weren't conspiring

on how to pad Martin's number

of carries this season? !!!!! :roll::roll:

I am sick of

these writers who

are complete Martinette's!!!! :evil:

Emersoon Boozer would stand out

in 120 degree temperture

back in the day!!!!!!

Easy there Savage.

Oh and 1 other thing..Martin as a 10 year pro

and starter has avg 9.5 TD's a year and that

includes both Rushing and receiving!! Boozer

as a part time starter avg 7.1 TD's per year

including Rushing and receiving..So Martin has

him beat..Oh Did I mention Martin had 2007 more

touches then Boozer?? So Part time player Boozer

64 td's Full Time player Martin 95 TD's. Oh yeah

Cumar's the best alright!! :roll:

PS..I didn't include 75 which was Boozers last

year and he only had 20 touches..But let me add

it anyway because it will take his per year avg

down to 6.4!!

:lol:

You're ok Savage.

Hope the bait tasted ok though I forgot the BBQ sauce.

If you need any help getting the hook out of your mouth give TX a shout.

All in good fun. I am a fan of Boozer as well.

Talk about Dancing out of a statement!! Another

Grad of Scottie's Make Believe Academy!! :mrgreen:

When the Facts are up what I have ALWAYS maintained

is true kidding or not!! Martin makes the HOF based

on his durability and Longevity! Not because he was

the Best Jet back! The man needed more of everything

to match stats!! 2007 more carries then Boozer who

shared time with both Snell and Riggens! Who had the

best TD production per carry?? :roll:

I don't know about swapping rosters. But top to bottom, this is as talented a team as the Jets have had since 1998. Other than the secondary(and this could get better with the addition of Law),every unit is solid, especially so if Abraham gets his sorry a$$ into camp pronto.

I don't know about swapping rosters. But top to bottom, this is as talented a team as the Jets have had since 1998. Other than the secondary(and this could get better with the addition of Law),every unit is solid, especially so if Abraham gets his sorry a$$ into camp pronto.[/quote

I agree bugg. I'm not holding my breath for law, as much as I would luv to get him, I don't see how it could be financially feasible.

I don't know about swapping rosters. But top to bottom, this is as talented a team as the Jets have had since 1998. Other than the secondary(and this could get better with the addition of Law),every unit is solid, especially so if Abraham gets his sorry a$$ into camp pronto.

I'm not ready to say the offensive line is solid yet. I'll reserve judgement until I see them play. Same with the kicking teams.

True. I would like to see Fabini come back into form and Jones be solid. We do have a wrecking crew from guard to guard though, and with a center/guard pulling combo of Mawae and Kendall, those guys only have to be okay, not great. If Jones can do the job well, look out.

And with Nugent and Graham under Westhoff, the kicking part of the game is gonna be very good.

True. I would like to see Fabini come back into form and Jones be solid. We do have a wrecking crew from guard to guard though, and with a center/guard pulling combo of Mawae and Kendall, those guys only have to be okay, not great. If Jones can do the job well, look out.

And with Nugent and Graham under Westhoff, the kicking part of the game is gonna be very good.

Bugg, I would love to agree about the kicking game, but that seems to be the biggest variable all over the league. New kickers always look good in camp, but most of them flame out in the season. All I want is to see some PT first.

Archived