Jets Exchange Pleasantries with Giants (FIGHT!!!)

Smizzy

I'll tell you what. Nobody can ever accuse Edwards of being a softy. Not only did he wake his players up at 4:30 but he woke them up with a horn instead of the customary gentle kiss on the lips and a slap on the ass. What's next? No moist towelettes after the bbq tonight? Coughlin ain't got nothing on Herm Edwards.

I'll tell you what. Nobody can ever accuse Edwards of being a softy. Not only did he wake his players up at 4:30 but he woke them up with a horn instead of the customary gentle kiss on the lips and a slap on the a$$. What's next? No moist towelettes after the bbq tonight? Coughlin ain't got nothing on Herm Edwards.

I know it was sarcasm. And a valiant effort at that. But Edwards is definitely NOT a softy when it comes to making the Jets practice.

I wish I could have seen this scuffle, I might have ran on the field and started throwin bodys to the ground and bashing those giants in the face.

You crack me up. :mrgreen: Your little ass would have gotten pummeled. Even by the dooshey Giants.

You see Vilma in that picture with the helmet off? He is the LEADER of our defense. He wont be takin sh** from anybody on opposing defenses, not even a UM alum like shockey! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!

My first thought was. Of course he won't take any sh*t off of opposing defenses. THEY'RE NOT ON THE FIELD AT THE SAME TIME!! Then I remembered who your coach is and realized that that is bound to happen at least twice this season.

So I guess Herm ain't such a softy after all, eh? I think he just tries to have a purpose for everything he does. I love hearing how the supposedly hard-ass Coughlin got upset about the rough play. I'm sure he wasn't too upset when Penny went down last year, though it was a freak event. His own guy, Shockey, set the tone early by mixing it up on the second play, so what could he expect?

Go Jets!

next friday the JETS/GIANT pre-season game is gonna be a violent game.....lol...hitting full blown ..

take this from someone who was at both scrimmages this morning, it wasnt nearly as "intense" as its being made out to be on ESPNEWS, there was only one other mini-fight in the afternoon and thats it

Giants, Jets Brawl During Joint Practice

By DAVID PORTER

Associated Press Writer

Published August 6, 2005

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey got into a fight with two Jets players on the second play of a joint practice between the teams Saturday that also featured an argument between Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

On the second play of a 9-on-7 drill pitting the Giants offense against the Jets defense, Shockey got in a tussle with defensive backs Erik Coleman and Oliver Celestin, and soon all three players were throwing wild punches.

Coleman and Celestin pulled the Giants tight end to the ground and Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma jumped on top, touching off a melee involving numerous players from both teams. Order was restored after a few minutes.

"I was blocking somebody and I got shoved in the back, and the next thing I know, everybody's fighting,'' Shockey said. "There's no bad blood. That's how football is. You might as well do it now, when you don't get fined and Paul Tagliabue can't take any money out of your pocket. Do it now, get it over with. I'm sure it happens at every other camp.''

Later in the morning practice session, Coughlin got into an argument with Henderson after several plays in which the Jets appeared to go beyond the prescribed rules of the practice, which allow defensive players to bump or slow down ball carriers as they go by, without tackling them.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Giants wideout Willie Ponder on a route over the middle, forcing Ponder to leave the practice early with bruised ribs.

Brandon Jacobs, the Giants rookie 6-foot-4, 265-pound running back, retaliated by bowling over 6-2, 212-pound Jets cornerback Pete Hunter after catching a short pass.

And finally, Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer was knocked down by Jets linebacker Eric Barton after a short pass reception. Toomer struck Barton in the helmet, and the two players had to be separated.

"This is practice,'' said Toomer, who is in his tenth NFL season. "We don't want anyone to get hurt.''

At one point Coughlin yelled at Henderson from about 20 yards away, causing Henderson to respond, "That's the way we practice, coach. We put our hats on people.''

Jets coach Herman Edwards blamed what he called his team's "testiness'' on getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a three-hour bus ride from Long Island to the Giants camp here.

Henderson defended his players.

"I don't think any of it was over the line,'' he said. "You push and shove, and sometimes people take it the second level. But I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to injure anyone. I don't think there was any misunderstanding about what the tempo was going to be. I just think we practice at a different tempo at our place than was expected here.''

Coughlin was not amused by the antics.

"We don't want that. That's not what we teach, that's not why we're here,'' he said. "We're here to practice to try and get better. We certainly didn't come to fight. We understand that sometimes those things are going to happen, but there were too many occasions.'' (PROFILE (COUNTRY:United States; ISOCOUNTRY3:USA; UNTOP:021; APGROUP:NorthAmerica;)

from espn

Coleman and Celestin pulled the Giants tight end to the ground and Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma jumped on top :D:D:D , touching off a melee involving numerous players from both teams. Order was restored after a few minutes.

"I was blocking somebody and I got shoved in the back, and the next thing I know, everybody's fighting," Shockey said. "There's no bad blood. That's how football is. You might as well do it now, when you don't get fined and Paul Tagliabue can't take any money out of your pocket. Do it now, get it over with. I'm sure it happens at every other camp."

Later in the morning practice session, Coughlin got into an argument with Henderson after several plays in which the Jets appeared to go beyond the prescribed rules of the practice, which allow defensive players to bump or slow down ball carriers as they go by, without tackling them.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Giants wideout Willie Ponder on a route over the middle, forcing Ponder to leave the practice early with bruised ribs. :D:D:D:D

And finally, Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer was knocked down by Jets linebacker Eric Barton after a short pass reception. :D:D:D:D Toomer struck Barton in the helmet, and the two players had to be separated.

"This is practice," said Toomer, who is in his tenth NFL season. "We don't want anyone to get hurt." (you smell that?? pu**y!!)

At one point Coughlin yelled at Henderson from about 20 yards away, causing Henderson to respond, "That's the way we practice, coach. We put our hats on people." :D:D:D

Jets coach Herman Edwards blamed what he called his team's "testiness" on getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a three-hour bus ride from Long Island to the Giants camp here.

Henderson defended his players.

"I don't think any of it was over the line," he said. "You push and shove, and sometimes people take it the second level. But I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to injure anyone. I don't think there was any misunderstanding about what the tempo was going to be. I just think we practice at a different tempo at our place than was expected here."

Coughlin was not amused by the antics.

"We don't want that. That's not what we teach, that's not why we're here," he said. "We're here to practice to try and get better. We certainly didn't come to fight. We understand that sometimes those things are going to happen, but there were too many occasions." (what a wuss!)

JETS OWNED THE GIANTS

Celestin knows his chances of making the roster are slim to none, and he was just looking to get some attention.

He was my prediction for the player to have a big camp and never been heard from again. It always ends up being D-backs for some reason.

The line forms behind me for placing orders for Oliver Celestin jerseys.

Speaking of ESPN...one of the tedious "reporters" (Scott Van Pelt I think) read a quote from Shockey: "This is the time to fight, when Tagliabue cant reach into our pockets." I passionately hate Shockey, but thats kinda funny, no?

I think its already been established that hitting either Eric Barton in the head, the real one or the JN.com poster, will do absolutely nothing whatsoever as both people are dead from the neck up.

I wonder if Armani Toomer hit Eric B with a forearm shiver to the head?

Archived