Abraham upset about Law's deal

Smizzy

Abraham said to be upset about Law's deal

Sunday, August 07, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The anticipated signing of free-agent cornerback Ty Law, who needs only to pass a physical to complete the multiyear deal, could have an adverse effect on Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham.

People close to the Pro Bowl defensive end say Abraham and his representatives are livid that the club is willing to pay Law, who has a foot problem and is 31 years old, and not pay Abraham, in part, because of his injury history.

Abraham, who is unhappy with the franchise tag ($6.67 million) and wants a long-term deal, was expected to report sometime after the second preseason game. Now, however, there are rumblings he might stay out until the Tuesday before the opener, the last day he can stay away without losing any money.

Law, a four-time Pro Bowler, is expected to come to New York early next week. The club will likely have a press conference Monday or Tuesday.

Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who wasn't at the joint practice with the Giants, and Law's agent, Carl Poston, have agreed on most of the major issues and continued to negotiate yesterday for a third consecutive day.

Law has agreed in principle to an incentive-rich and backloaded deal that includes a signing bonus of $5 million to $6 million and an average of roughly $6 million per season.

The two sides are said to be hammering out the incentive package. Law missed nine games last season with a broken left foot and the Jets want to protect themselves. Law, meanwhile, wants to get paid if he performs.

The Jets may have to rework some contracts or release or trade a veteran or two to make Law fit under the salary cap. Veteran cornerback Ray Mickens is among those the club may approach.

Running back Curtis Martin is believed to have agreed to rework his contract to accommodate Law, with whom he is close friends, and other Jets are enthused about the likely addition.

"It would be huge," Pro Bowl defensive end Shawn Ellis said. "He comes from a program that all they did was win. Any time you get a player like that on your team it boosts everybody up. He has been there (Super Bowl) three times so he can help us lead us on our way."

Screw him, the big baby!!!!

The article shows how selfish Abraham is.

If Law was on the team last year, I guarantee Abraham would have been on that field playing, instaed of sitting his ass on the sidelines during the playoffs.

I hope Abraham is gone after this year. I'm sick of him.

What's telling to this fan is that Chad was willing to give up money for Laveranues and Curtis for Ty why has noone on the team stepped up for Abe?Why not his former roomamte Shaun Ellis-the defensive leader?That's question John Abraham should look into his own heart for an answer.All I know is one thing;He SAID he would gladly play for the 6.7 now he is reneging-I want him ON my team-I WANT him to go to the pro bowl I WANT him to EARN the big payday he covets-what does HE want?That my fellow Jets fans is what WE need to know.

Good to see Curtis is putting his money where is mouth is, but we'll see whether or not he really did restructure his deal.

Abraham can go screw himself. He should be happy the team would welcome him back! That being said we need Abraham to show up week 1 and finish strong for the entire season. His passrush skills are key.

abe has become an afterthough. i like herm's approach to this a lot - play with what you have and basically act like abe is not part of the team. it makes it seem like less of a loss.

at this point, if the jets could get a #1 for him and move him to the NFC i would do it in a heartbeat.

What's telling to this fan is that Chad was willing to give up money for Laveranues and Curtis for Ty why has noone on the team stepped up for Abe?Why not his former roomamte Shaun Ellis-the defensive leader?That's question John Abraham should look into his own heart for an answer.All I know is one thing;He SAID he would gladly play for the 6.7 now he is reneging-I want him ON my team-I WANT him to go to the pro bowl I WANT him to EARN the big payday he covets-what does HE want?That my fellow Jets fans is what WE need to know.

Very True.

That alone should say something about Abraham.

This team is making a push for the Super Bowl and he is worrying about himself.

John Abe for a 2. I do it yesterday. F#ck him in the ear and move on. Send him to Siberia and make a point a la Keyshawn.

I'd send that mother ****er a REAL message and flat out-cut him. That way, teams will think twice about signing him.

Unfortunately, we don't have the depth at DE to do that. #-o

F ABE

It's simple. If you want a nice big contract, simply show up, play, and reamin healthy.

If Abe plays at his normal output, and stays healthy, without missing a bunch of games, he will get paid, wether by us or another team.

This isn't about NY being greedy. They pay their players. This is about Abe being irresponsible and driving drunk.

This is about Abe being unreliable and missing games each and every year, especially playoff games.

This is about a brittle, but talented DE who has the world at his beck and call, and will see big dollars, but just can't stay healthy.

Perform and he will be rewarded. hopefully by us.

Archived