Law to take physical TODAY

nj meadowlands

Ty really hurt you kids by leaving, didn't he?

No, not really, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

BTW - the Pats let him go...not ugly like the Milloy cut, thank God.

I'm being perfectly honest here. I am not worried about the coaching staff, or lack of a real OC (if training camp is any indication, there will be an OC by commitee approach). I think the Offense will actually be better than it was last year. What I am worried about is the middle linebacker position. Only a die-hard Pats fan understands the true implications of losing Tedy Bruschi. He was the defensive signal caller in a very complex defense. He's natural instincts on the field are unmatched. His true grit and powerful leadership will be missed not only on the field, but in the lockerroom, team meetings and the film room. I have confidence that the D-line (all first rounders, I think) will ease the strain on the LB's up front. Still, the Pats will miss that "it" factor. Tedy was "it."

He also was the real MVP of the Pats' first Super Bowl.

And the Pats wouldn't have got past Indianapolis in 2003 if it weren't for Ty Law.

First, Law was 27 and in the prime of his career when he played in the Super Bowl versus the Rams.

Two, all 3 of Law's picks against Manning came from zone coverage.

He also was the real MVP of the Pats' first Super Bowl.

And the Pats wouldn't have got past Indianapolis in 2003 if it weren't for Ty Law.

Actually, if you REALLY watch the first SB, the MVP was Otis Smith - yup, Otis Smith.

I agree that Ty Law had a monster game against Indy that year and if it weren't for him, the Pats may not have made it to the SB. Still, Peyton threw some God awful passes and the defensive game plan (all the diguises) were genius. So, I present this: If it weren't for BB/Crennel and Mangini - the Pats would not have made it past Indy.

No, not really, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

BTW - the Pats let him go...not ugly like the Milloy cut, thank God.

I'm being perfectly honest here. I am not worried about the coaching staff, or lack of a real OC (if training camp is any indication, there will be an OC by commitee approach). I think the Offense will actually be better than it was last year. What I am worried about is the middle linebacker position. Only a die-hard Pats fan understands the true implications of losing Tedy Bruschi. He was the defensive signal caller in a very complex defense. He's natural instincts on the field are unmatched. His true grit and powerful leadership will be missed not only on the field, but in the lockerroom, team meetings and the film room. I have confidence that the D-line (all first rounders, I think) will ease the strain on the LB's up front. Still, the Pats will miss that "it" factor. Tedy was "it."

Garb, it's gotta end sooner or later.

2005 just might be the beginning of the downward spiral for what Stephen A. Smith refers to as The Patriots Dynasty.

Of course it will end eventually, Moses. All good things do. The NFL is cyclical by nature - especially in this era of salary caps and free agency. I will ALWAYS be grateful for this terrific ride provided to me by my beloved Patriots. I'm so blessed to have seen the worst - and then the BEST, for a relatively long time. Hard to even recall those pathetic years. Seems so long ago, you know?

BTW - That moron, Steven A. Smith isn't the only one calling the Pats a current day dynasty. An objective person would have a hard time arguing otherwise. What other team has a better record in this decade?

It just amazes me how all of a sudden Pats fans think Law is now a POS and actually wasn't realyy that good to begin with. That is some funny stuff and was predicted quite accurately by a number of JN members. It just goes to show you how predictable the weather vane posts of the Pats faithful are. It's like arguing a point with an ultra-liberal or a religious fanatic, they have an answer for everything using their special brand of twisted logic. #-o

DNA - I hope you aren't talking about me. I've said all along that the Jets would better WITH Ty Law. He's a terrific CB. His savvy, experience, talent and veteran leadership will do wonders for that defensive backfield.

Plus - and this is just my opinion, the Jets have to have a top five defense (I think they will) to off-set the step back your offense will take this year. I just have a feeling that points won't be too easy to come by.

Show me a post where I said Law is a POS?

Tx, not in those exact words, but even in this thread you mention how his picks against Indy were in zone coverage, like that makes it much less of an accomplishment. The Jet used to play a lot of zone under Fat Ted and got picked apart. You are minimizing a relatively recent performance, making it seem as if it was the scheme. Players still have to execute, as Law did.

Tx, not in those exact words, but even in this thread you mention how his picks against Indy were in zone coverage, like that makes it much less of an accomplishment. The Jet used to play a lot of zone under Fat Ted and got picked apart. You are minimizing a relatively recent performance, making it seem as if it was the scheme. Players still have to execute, as Law did.

DNA, my point about Law's 3 picks were they were all made when the Pats were in a zone defense. Two out of the three were incredible, athletic plays by Law.

But the bottom line was Ty Law was not matched up in 1-1 press coverage.

Law's fortay comes from great anticipation and athletic ability, which a zone defense allows.

Law is vulnerable when in 1-1 coverage, more so this year with the bad wheel.

Be very curious to see Hendu's coverages with Law in the secondary.

DNA, my point about Law's 3 picks were they were all made when the Pats were in a zone defense. Two out of the three were incredible, athletic plays by Law.

But the bottom line was Ty Law was not matched up in 1-1 press coverage.

Law's fortay comes from great anticipation and athletic ability, which a zone defense allows.

Law is vulnerable when in 1-1 coverage, more so this year with the bad wheel.

Be very curious to see Hendu's coverages with Law in the secondary.

wow, so because Ty Law's 3 ints vs Manning were all in zone defense it means he cant play man to man/bump and run/press coverage? I dont think so bub.

I've seen Ty Law go man-to-man/press coverage all the time. Even against speedster Santana Moss, Ty Law play up at the line and jammed him up and took him outa the game. IMO, there is not a more phsyical corner in the national football league. Charles Woodson, Chris McAlister are all strong and can play at the line, but neither are as good as it as Ty Law. And we all know Ty Laws ability to read the pass and jump the route are the best in the league at his position. Not to mention he has GREAT hands for the interception.

I've seen Ty Law go man-to-man/press coverage all the time. Even against speedster Santana Moss, Ty Law play up at the line and jammed him up and took him outa the game.

All the time, huh barton? :shock::shock:

Seeing that Crennel and the Pats played zone coverage 80%-85% of the time (and almost exclusively on passing downs), where have you seen Law playing 1-1 press coverage?

What else will you be making up today? :^o

Seeing that Crennel and the Pats played zone coverage 80%-85% of the time (and almost exclusively on passing downs), where have you seen Law playing 1-1 press coverage?

During the Carroll Error when Ty went to only one Probowl.

I'm not saying that this signing is the end all be all for the Jets defense. The Jets will still need to keep Abe on the field for all 16 games and the playoffs, and they need last years youngsters to continue to develope. But to act like Ty Law was not effective in man on man coverage is not fair. If he can get back to what he was before the injury he will again be one of the best in the game. And the Pete Carroll era simply could not get a pass rush together. Which is why I say it will take more than just Ty Law to get the Jets to the Super Bowl.

Crayon or Marker? :shock:

Ty Law played bump and run and press coverage more than just a few times. Sure, for the most part it was in zone, but i've seen him press up and jam the WR at the line way too many times to think that he doesnt do it. Did he play more zone than man-to-man? Sure, but that doesnt mean they were covering him up. He jams the WR at the line better than any cornerback in the NFL. And while he was never the fastest player in the NFL he could go step for step with most recievers because he was always taking the right angles and had perfect execution of press coverage. Either way you slice it, Ty Law finally gives us that great secondary player we've been searching for, maybe the final piece to the puzzle.

We'll see...

Are the New York Jets a better team in 2005 with Ty Law??

Yes. That fact is simply not debatable.

Everything else involved (money, years, risk of potential injury) is administrative details to be worried about later on.

While I have some severe reservation about later, I am happy the 2005 Jets will be a better team than they would have before. IMO CB was a severe weakness (along with OT) for 2005, and I believe even a 85-90% Ty Law addresses that weakness for the short term (1 to 2 seasons), and certainly long enough to determine if Miller can be a legit #1 (or #2) and if Strait can be a legit #2.

Archived