IT'S OFFICIAL ... Ty Law agrees to terms with Jets!

Green Jets & Ham

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NY POST

LAW'S READY TO JOIN JETS

DONE DEAL: Former Patriots star Ty Law has agreed to sign a three-year deal worth $23 million to beef up Jets' secondary.

By BRIAN LEWIS and STEVE SERBY

August 8, 2005 -- The Jets' secondary just got a whole lot better, and their defense a whole lot more dominating.

Ty Law, a three-time Super Bowl winner and four-time Pro Bowler, is set to become the newest member of Gang Green, The Post has learned.

"It's a done deal," a Jets insider told The Post last night after the 31-year-old free agent cornerback had spent the afternoon on Long Island at the team's Hempstead training complex.

The $23 million deal had been held up because the Jets had wanted a clause to protect them in the event that Law reinjured his foot. He'd suffered a so-called Lisfranc fracture last Oct. 31 at Pittsburgh that had required the insertion of screws to stabilize the foot, and cost him all but seven games last season.

He'd turned down a four-year, $24 million offer from New England, and the Super Bowl champions eventually released him in February for obvious salary-cap reasons. The screws were removed from his foot in the spring, and if he is healthy, he immediately adds a swagger to a defense that already has an attitude.

Just ask the Giants.

He'd been adamant about not accepting a minimum-salary deal, and expected to be paid like a Pro Bowler. It seems after days of intense negotiations and haggling between super agent Carl Poston and Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum from Thursday through the weekend, the club will give him a three-year deal worth $6 million per season and a $5 million signing bonus.

Law's close relationship with running back Curtis Martin and secondary coach Corwin Brown

Happy Days! Great signing by the Jets. The only thing that bothers me is that we gave him 6 mil a year. I was hoping we wouldn't give him that much.

I am curous about the breakdown. When the Patriots floated their 24 million offer, he was to receive the same amount of money in it's first two years that he had remaining on his old contract (i.e. roughly 14-17 million). before the Patriots got a discount of sorts.

Maybe the Potson's agreed to a deal that does not screw the team.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

When I see Law on the field playing for the green and white then I will believe this is a done deal.

If he does sign though, you hope he stays healthy. He would bring leadership to a secondary in need of some.

The Super Bowl window is wide open right now for this team. Let's see what they do.

Wow, that's a lot of coin for an over-the-hill, 31-year-old CB coming off major foot surgery. :shock:

Same old Jets.

Had Law returned to the Pats it would be:Man I'm real happy to have Law back. He will no doubt return to his Pro Bowl form and help us win our 3rd Super Bowl in a row.

You're so full of sh!t, Tx.

Congratulations, Jets fans! Good signing. Real interested in seeing the actual numbers. I hear it's a four year deal - which means nothing, really. It's the "guaranteed" money that means something.

Anyway, this should be a fun season!

Congratulations, Jets fans! Good signing. Real interested in seeing the actual numbers. I hear it's a four year deal - which means nothing, really. It's the "guaranteed" money that means something.

I agree Garb. This if nothing adds fuel to already bitter rivalry.

Thanks for being honest about this signing. I think it is a good addition too.

Our D gets instantly better with Ty back there. Also, he's practiced against Brady for a few seasons, and likely has a good read on Brady's strengths, weaknesses, anmd tendencies. That can't be a bad thing. My only negative is that our D looked to be in good shape already. Is it smart to spend that kind of cash defensively when it's our O that has all the question marks?

Very happy about LAW, but I dont know what SERBY and his buddy are talking aout when they mention that TY LAW will help the DEFENSE become 'more dominant'. :shock:

Although the potential is certaintly there, our defense is NOT dominant. I, for one, am still sick at the thought of the 200+ rushing yds the Steelers racked up on us in the playoffs. You need to be a dominant Defense before people start saying you'll be more dominant, no?

IMO, there are still some BIG question marks in our secondary(even after Law, one of oursafeties will probably be a rookie), and DLine (Pouha and Legree in the middle, and #94 needs to prove himself week in, week out).

The upside is enough to get very excited about, but our defense needs work...end of story.

Very happy about LAW, but I dont know what SERBY and his buddy are talking aout when they mention that TY LAW will help the DEFENSE become 'more dominant'. :shock:

Although the potential is certaintly there, our defense is NOT dominant. I, for one, am still sick at the thought of the 200+ rushing yds the Steelers racked up on us in the playoffs. You need to be a dominant Defense before people start saying you'll be more dominant, no?

IMO, there are still some BIG question marks in our secondary(even after Law, one of oursafeties will probably be a rookie), and DLine (Pouha and Legree in the middle, and #94 needs to prove himself week in, week out).

The upside is enough to get very excited about, but our defense needs work...end of story.

Excellent post! Great points! :wink:

Our D gets instantly better with Ty back there. Also, he's practiced against Brady for a few seasons, and likely has a good read on Brady's strengths, weaknesses, anmd tendencies. That can't be a bad thing. My only negative is that our D looked to be in good shape already. Is it smart to spend that kind of cash defensively when it's our O that has all the question marks?

Let's put it in a better perspective: our Secondary just got JUICED!

Even a 80% of the Ty Law that was a Chad Killer when he was in NE is 75% better than what we've had there the last 3 years - EVEN WHEN DONNIE ABRAHAM WAS HEALTHY!

Plus, as the veteran CB, Law stands the better chance of developing other backs in the Secondary...

This pick-up was a No-Brainer!

Goodbye Ray!

This is an example of a intelligent and more times than not classy Pats fan.

Part of the Pitt game yards was simply due to exhaustion as we scored in the 3rd qtr on a punt and interception return. That combined with a ineffective offense had the dee on the field for much of the 3rd quarter and the defense just ran down in the 4th and OT.

At the other corner spot, it is a three-way race between Derrick Strait, rookie Justin Miller and veteran Ray Mickens. Mickens has the early lead, but no one expects that to last. Mickens has been a very tough, gritty nickel corner for the Jets for a long time, but injuries and age have robbed him of the speed and quickness it will take to hold down the starting corner gig. Strait, despite being a step slow, is the most capable of stepping up and taking the job. The former Jim Thorpe Award winner as the nation

Ok. So when do you guys think the Ty Law jets jerseys will hit the shelves? I will be running out there to buy 1 that is for sure!

btw the jets defense will be SICK in online madden now :lol:

Right now $75.00 with availability on August 12!

http://shop.newyorkjets.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=2623&referer=home_page_law

26_32-Green-Law-Replica-Jer.jpg

A solid move. Figure Strait and Miller split the other spot and the nickel. Couldn't justify Mickens to be a dime CB at his salary. Still need that idiot Abraham to sign the tender. That won't happen for another week or 2 at least. But that schmuck isn't going to miss a $418,750 check on opening day. If he does, he's much dumber that anyone imagined.

Newsflash to one and all-DO NOT GET CRAZY ABOUT PRESEASON GAMES!They mean nothing, unless your QB plays with the second squad and....

Archived