Our 1 possible achilles heel

Boozer76

The running game. While anyone here will tell you how much of a Martin fan I am (Savage calls me a Martinette lol) I really feel that this is the one area that may possibly kill us this year. Most RB's don't fade away over time, they die instantly. It is an inevitable part of the RB position. Nobody expects it to happen to Martin this season and I certainly expect great things from him, but if it does happen this season my greatest fear is the fact that Herm will likely persist on him playing. Especially with the fact that he could extend his streak of 1000 yard seasons.

Some will say our season goes as Chad goes. I say mularkey to that. We probably have the best NFL backup QB in the league and quite frankly I don't feel the quality of play drops all that much from Pennington to Fiedler. Don't forget the guy won a ton of games for MIA.

Anyway this team is going to live or die based on the performance of Curtis Martin. As much as I love him, that scares me a little.

Boozer, I would share this view, if it weren't for Heimerdinger. I have confidence in Derrick Blaylock to be a more than capable starter if/when Curtis hits the wall. In any case, he will make sure that Curtis is not getting more than a healthy 15-20 carry diet.

Of course, I'd be a LOT more confident if LaMont Jordan were still here, but....se la vi.

The running game. While anyone here will tell you how much of a Martin fan I am (Savage calls me a Martinette lol) I really feel that this is the one area that may possibly kill us this year. Most RB's don't fade away over time, they die instantly. It is an inevitable part of the RB position. Nobody expects it to happen to Martin this season and I certainly expect great things from him, but if it does happen this season my greatest fear is the fact that Herm will likely persist on him playing. Especially with the fact that he could extend his streak of 1000 yard seasons.

Some will say our season goes as Chad goes. I say mularkey to that. We probably have the best NFL backup QB in the league and quite frankly I don't feel the quality of play drops all that much from Pennington to Fiedler. Don't forget the guy won a ton of games for MIA.

Anyway this team is going to live or die based on the performance of Curtis Martin. As much as I love him, that scares me a little.

so what exactly are you saying? is the achilles heel martin who may be on his last legs? or Edwards who will leave him in past his expiration date? i think blaylock will get more touches than lamont ever did - in addition to askwew and houston.

if anything, the o-line's inability to create holes against physical defenses worries me - the same thing they struggled with last year.

as far as achilles heel's go - it is undoubtedly chad and his shoulder. 1 month until the first game and he still cannot throw worth a crap. he needs to get some preseason work in b/f 9/11.

Boozer, I would share this view, if it weren't for Heimerdinger. I have confidence in Derrick Blaylock to be a more than capable starter if/when Curtis hits the wall. In any case, he will make sure that Curtis is not getting more than a healthy 15-20 carry diet.

Of course, I'd be a LOT more confident if LaMont Jordan were still here, but....se la vi.

I have alot of faith in Blaylock, and I feel he is a solid player. But remember he came in and played behind what was bare none the best OL in the league. Those guys created holes bigger than Tom Shane's ballon knot for guys to run through. Our OL is not at that caliber, especially with an unproven Jones on the line. Not to mention Fabini is a false start away from throwing his back out, meaning we might be looking at Cavka to protect an already fragile QB's backside. Blaylock will not have it quite as easy.

And for the guy who posted the fact of Martin's 1700 yds rushing, here something interesting for you:

M Faulk 2001

2000 all purpose yards (1382 rushing) and 21 TD's.

M Faulk 2002

1500 all purpose tds (953 rushing) and 10 TD's.

Eddie George 2000

1500 rushing yds and 18 total TD's (14 ru TD's)

E George 2001

939 rushing yds, 7 total TD's (5 ru TD's)

S Davis 2003

1444 ru yds, 9 TD's (8 ru TD's)

S Davis 2004

92 ru yds, 1 TD.

The point is Martin was great last year, but don't be shocked if the bottom drops out this year.

so what exactly are you saying? is the achilles heel martin who may be on his last legs? or Edwards who will leave him in past his expiration date? i think blaylock will get more touches than lamont ever did - in addition to askwew and houston.

if anything, the o-line's inability to create holes against physical defenses worries me - the same thing they struggled with last year.

as far as achilles heel's go - it is undoubtedly chad and his shoulder. 1 month until the first game and he still cannot throw worth a crap. he needs to get some preseason work in b/f 9/11.

Chad and his shoulder is hardly the issue. If he goes down Fiedler can very capably step in. IMO they are almost identical in style of play and capability. Not for nothing, Chad has been a very mediocre QB ever since his 1st season. I really see nothing changing in that regard.

4.5 per carry, whats so bad about that?

Nothing, but his large volume of carries helps hide the deficiencies in Martin. 3.9 ypc in the playoffs with 0 TD's. No run longer than 24 yards all season. Terrible performances against the Patriots in both games. The large number of carries boosted his stats, and also has surely weakened him. I would not take the numbers he had last season, because he didnt perform against the teams we needed to beat. This season? Not only will he probably be unable to perform against the teams we need to beat, but he will probably also decline to the point where he can't perform against the teams he usually produces against.

Nothing, but his large volume of carries helps hide the deficiencies in Martin. 3.9 ypc in the playoffs with 0 TD's. No run longer than 24 yards all season. Terrible performances against the Patriots in both games. The large number of carries boosted his stats, and also has surely weakened him. I would not take the numbers he had last season, because he didnt perform against the teams we needed to beat. This season? Not only will he probably be unable to perform against the teams we need to beat, but he will probably also decline to the point where he can't perform against the teams he usually produces against.

Great points 80.

Not worried about the running game a bit.

1) The a less predictable offense, the 3rd and long won't be a run that is easily stopped.

2) We hopefully will be up towards the end of games and can pound the rock to run out the clock.

3) Curtis will have less carries, more time to rest and a better YPC this year.

BZ

I predict the running game will be even more effective this season. Opeing up the offense with use of the tight end and WRs (gasp!) will open up bigger holes for Cmart than we saw last season. Defenses will not be stacking the box as often as they did.

I predict the running game will be even more effective this season. Opeing up the offense with use of the tight end and WRs (gasp!) will open up bigger holes for Cmart than we saw last season. Defenses will not be stacking the box as often as they did.

Barton, Dric the Bric looks like the real deal, btw. Very quick and runs very low to the ground.

With Martins off season Workout regimen I think

he'll be in shape to have a good year!! If you

want to compare him to Smith or Payton! At 32

Emmitt had 261 carries and 1021 yd's the last

time he did anything worthwhile..Payton had a

good year at 32 with 321 carries and 1333 yds!

And then was shot!!

The reason I wanted a balance at RB the last few

years was with Martins contract it would make sense

to keep him rested and healthy for the playoffs plus

I think 2 backs actually can produce a more

productive outcome TD wise! And of course keep them

fresh and the D off balance! Hackett wanted to go

out in a Blaze of Glory and help his Buddy's stats

which explains why in the first 6 games last year

Jordan got 6 carries!

Martin is signed through 2009 Contract wise..Even

my Buddy Boozer wouldn't want a 36 year old Back as

a starter!! :roll:

Big thing-we have a real OC. He'll change things week to week, look to take advantage of mismatches and adjust accordingly. Hackett ran his plays in his offense no matter what, score and clock be damned. And if this or that doesn't work, things will get changed on the fly.

At the scrimmage on Sat is was great to see Chad in shotgun formation for certain plays and we even did a shovel pass- with Dinger the offense will so much more varied and imaginative-that alone has me excoted for the season to start

Good points Booz.

I think what is lost on the Jets fandom is that martin's year was more an abberation then a norm for him. Not to many 10 year backs set a career high in yards (by nearly 200) and YPC.

What if Martin averages 20 carries a game and his career YPC (4.1)? I know Blaylock will make up the difference right? [-X Herm has never turned the keys over to a younger player until the last possible moment. VT despite average seasons at best kept Chad on the bench. Until the Run D just totally crapped the bed, the old vets were kept around. If you think Dinger is going to divide the carries go look at Eddie's last few years with Dinger. He rode him into the ground.

Blaylock is not the answer. And maybe the Jets' FO learned from the Lamont fiasco by plucking a late round RB with potential to groom to be Martin's replacement.

Archived