Barrett Green talkin TUFF

Barton

Giants linebacker vows revenge? Giants are a bunch of pansies. Oh eli we're sorry we confused you with the 3-4 defense derrr derrrr :shock:

ESPN ARTICLE

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The New York Giants' first preseason game is at Cleveland this weekend, but after last Saturday's brawl with the New York Jets they may be looking ahead to the teams' preseason game on Aug. 26 at Giants Stadium to settle some grievances.

"There's going to be a lot of animosity, you can count on that," Giants linebacker Barrett Green said Monday. "In the preseason game, there's no question about the rules, there's no question about hitting people. They're going to get hit, hard."

Saturday's joint practice with the Jets turned into a free-for-all when three Jets jumped Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey on the second play of a 9-on-7 drill pitting the Giants' offense against the Jets' defense.

Later, Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson had a heated argument on the field over some hard hits made by Jets defenders.

Most players characterized the brawl as nothing more than blowing off steam after a week of two-a-days. On a more general level, several Giants players and Coughlin felt the Jets took advantage by playing overly aggressive defense in a practice that was meant to feature "butting," or tagging, players instead of tackling.

"Obviously, they had different intentions out there than we did, and it showed," said Green, a starter who is coming back from ACL surgery and sat out both sessions Saturday. "I don't think there were a whole lot of people over here on the blue side who were too happy about it. They had a few smart comments they made about how that's how they practice, but we're very capable of practicing that way, too. But we didn't get a chance to do that."

Giants wide receiver Willie Ponder suffered a bruised chest and had to leave the practice after being hit on a route over the middle by Jets safety Kerry Rhodes. And the normally reserved Amani Toomer mixed it up with Jets linebacker Eric Barton after Barton knocked him down on a short pass play.

Ponder said Monday he had recovered enough to take part in Monday's evening practice.

"Was it out of line?" Ponder asked. "In our coach's eyes, yeah. In their coach's eyes, probably not."

According to quarterback Eli Manning, the Jets showed a wider variety of defensive looks than the Giants expected, which threw off the offense's timing.

"You're allowed to do some blitzes, but on a lot of plays they were lining up in a Bear defense, in a 3-4, moving people around, bringing the strong safety in and blitzing. And we just kind of wanted to get our basic plays run instead of having to check off. We didn't really game-plan for that stuff."

Coughlin said Monday he had not spoken to Jets coach Herman Edwards since Saturday, and said a decision on whether to schedule a joint practice with the Jets in 2005 would be made next year. The teams have held the sessions last year and this year.

Although the Giants resisted retaliating for some of the hits on Saturday, Green said the incidents may have served to unite the team.

"They got a lot of free shots in [saturday], and they know it," he said. "Our coaches wanted us to display class and character out there, and that's what we did. Nobody is happy about what happened, but it's over, we learned from it, and it's definitely made us closer. And we'll see them in the third preseason game."

---------

Giants will once again get their asses handed to them. And they shouldnt be talking? Remember Pennington goin down because of them? HELLOOOO

According to quarterback Eli Manning, the Jets showed a wider variety of defensive looks than the Giants expected, which threw off the offense's timing.

"You're allowed to do some blitzes, but on a lot of plays they were lining up in a Bear defense, in a 3-4, moving people around, bringing the strong safety in and blitzing. And we just kind of wanted to get our basic plays run instead of having to check off. We didn't really game-plan for that stuff."

Coughlin said Monday he had not spoken to Jets coach Herman Edwards since Saturday, and said a decision on whether to schedule a joint practice with the Jets in 2005 would be made next year. The teams have held the sessions last year and this year.

These guys sound like bigger pansies every time they open their mouths. Sorry you actually had to try and think out there Eli.

"We might not wanna practice with them next year because they're too rough"

This whole fight thing is the biggest nonstory of the preseason. The Jets, understanbly cranky after getting up before dawn and riding a bus for 3 hours see Shockey act like the a-hole he is and respond in kind. That's it. All the rest of it is crap. Of course,after beating the piss out of each other in practice they take great aplomb in hitting another team in anger. If the Jints need that to get going, it says that they aren't practicing as they should be doing in the first place. And what exactly is he going to do in a preseason game-cause another fight? How does he expect that to go over with the NFL office? Just be quiet and worry about the fact that your young top dollar QB is looking less than wonderful every day and you're the odds-on favorite to bring of the NFCE rear.

If the Giants are going to act like Brownies instead of NFL players, scratch it off next year's agenda.

IMO, no way do the Jets allow Coles, Pennington, Martin, Vilma, Barton or a few of our starting lineman to play more than 1 series. Dont take chances, JMO.
....that I agree with. I believe this is the same pansie that hurt Pennigton that year....if Im wrong, correct me. name sounds the same. I wouldn't want to see our season go to hell and back because they were mad that they got showed up on their practice field. They should have rode their arses down to hofstra and maybe it wouldn't have been that way. Hold all key guys so these num nums can't hurt our seasonal chances.

....that I agree with. I believe this is the same pansie that hurt Pennigton that year....if Im wrong, correct me. name sounds the same. I wouldn't want to see our season go to hell and back because they were mad that they got showed up on their practice field. They should have rode their arses down to hofstra and maybe it wouldn't have been that way. Hold all key guys so these num nums can't hurt our seasonal chances.

I too thought it was the same guy who buried Pennington, but no, that was BRANDON SHORT. Not barrett green.

The Giants should take their beating like a man. Its not like we caused any serious, life threatening or season ending injuries.

And I doubt any of those Giant players have the balls to take some cheap shots against us.

What I find funny is the Jets players and fans walking around thumping their chests because they roughed up the Giants in practice. In all actuality, what the Giants are claiming is most likely true. A controlled practice between two teams is no place to be taking unnecessary shots on prone receivers and stuff like that, save that for preseason and regualar season games. I'm sure Herm coached them up for it though just to make himself and his team look better than they actually are. I'm sure he has his starters pound the practice squad into the dirt too just to give them a false sense of superiority.

What I find funny is the Jets players and fans walking around thumping their chests because they roughed up the Giants in practice. In all actuality, what the Giants are claiming is most likely true. A controlled practice between two teams is no place to be taking unnecessary shots on prone receivers and stuff like that, save that for preseason and regualar season games. I'm sure Herm coached them up for it though just to make himself and his team look better than they actually are. I'm sure he has his starters pound the practice squad into the dirt too just to give them a false sense of superiority.

I don't give a sht about any of that nonsense that happened in Albany over the weekend. It was stupid.

Kerry Rhodes? Whatshisname Celestin?

It's like back when Jerry Glanville used to coach the Oilers; everytime some defense guy cheap shotted an opponent I would say "I'd hate to be Ernest Givens, right now".

I hate to say it, but something bad is going to happen in that exhibition game with the Giants.

hey guy, its football not tennis. Either kill or be killed. Thats football. The Jets took it the Giants before the Giants could take it to them. Maybe the Jets went alittle overboard, but it was still awesome to see shockey get thrown to the ground and get a beat down. punk b**ch! :lol:

Got this from the NYTIMES article today

Most players said there were no hard feelings after Saturday's brawl-marred practice with the Jets, but not everyone in the organization was over it yet. Coach Tom Coughlin was noncommittal when asked if the Giants would invite the Jets to practice in Albany next year. "We make those decisions in the off-season once we get ready to plan training camp," he said. "We are not ready to plan training camp right now." Quarterback Eli Manning said the offense was surprised that the Jets were switching in and out of defenses, including blitzes, which forced the Giants to check out of plays they had hoped to practice.

Who's thumping who's chest? I watched Barrett here in Detroit for four years. He sucks.

when coaches talk to the media and the players they are very troubled by events like the ones seen at the Jets-Giants practice. Oh it's wrong it's this and it's that.

but get those same men behind closed doors, and ask them honestly what did they think of the fight - they LOVE it when their team shows heart like this. Any way you slice it, this was a very nice showing by the NYJ.

My favorite play of the practice: Jets run a toss play to the right side. It goes nowhere. Mawae, having pulled, is standing out on the hash walking back to the huddle, but for no reason gives Barrett Green a forearm that sends Green flying about 5 yards. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived