Healthy Law signs pact with Jets

Smizzy

Healthy Law signs pact with Jets

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Free agent defensive back Ty Law sealed the deal yesterday morning with a parade of X-rays on his surgically repaired left foot and a strenuous workout at the Jets' Hofstra University training complex.

He passed with flying colors.

"He did change of directions, back pedal, plant, everything that defensive backs need to do, and he did very well," Jets general manager Terry Bradway said.

The physical and workout officially made Law a Jet. He signed an incentive-rich and backloaded multiyear contract that could be worth $28.5 million over three years or $50 million over seven years, according to his agent, Carl Poston. It has options for both sides.

Should Law play well this season, Poston said the contract will pay him "market value" in 2006. Clearly, Law must play and play well to get paid, as the Jets wisely protected themselves against Law reinjuring his foot.

Poston refused to say how much money was guaranteed in the first year, including any bonus money.

"It was a long process and this was definitely my first choice since the beginning," Law said yesterday during a news conference. "I think this team is on the verge of doing something very special and that's why I wanted to join this team."

Law, 31, was considered perhaps the best cornerback in the league before he broke his foot, which caused him to miss nine games and the playoffs last season. He says he's still the best.

"I think I have something to prove all the time anyway," Law said. "That's just my mind-set. I can hold my head up high and say I've had a pretty good career thus far and I'm going to continue that.

"I think that I have a lot left to give and I'm going to prove to all the doubters, if there are any out there, that's I'm still the best cornerback in football."

As expected, the Jets had to release some veterans to make Law's deal fit under the salary cap, and one was cornerback Ray Mickens, a 10th-year pro who had spent his entire career with the Jets. His cap number was $1.2 million.

The club also released guard Dave Yovanovits, running back Delvin Joyce, safety Derek Pagel and cornerback Roosevelt Williams. In addition, it is believed that running back Curtis Martin reworked his contract.

Law, a four-time Pro Bowler and three-time Super Bowl champ, did some light drills in the afternoon practice and didn't seem to favor his left foot. He spent most of the practice talking to defensive backs coach Corwin Brown, his former teammate in college and with the Patriots. In his very first drill, Law stumbled as he back pedaled and cut to his left.

Archived