Pennington, Law ,Barton & Chrebet won't play friday

Smizzy

Pennington, Law Won't Play for Jets Friday

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Quarterback Chad Pennington and newly signed cornerback Ty Law will not play in the New York Jets' preseason opener against the Detroit Lions on Friday.

Coach Herman Edwards said on Tuesday that he wants to be careful with both, who are coming off serious injuries and working themselves back into game shape.

"We didn't want to take a chance to have a setback when everything was going so well," Pennington said.

The star quarterback is recovering from a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder that caused him to miss minicamp and offseason training. Pennington has generally been alternating between days off and participating in afternoon practices after throwing in each of the first five days of camp, but practiced for the second straight day Tuesday.

"I think my shoulder is starting to respond now," he said.

Pennington practiced with his left calf wrapped up after he was accidentally spiked by a teammate during practice Monday, causing some bruising and swelling.

But Edwards said that had no affect on choosing to not play Pennington against Detroit.

"That decision was made about three months ago," Edwards said.

"In the first game, we'd play a maximum of two series," Pennington said. "Getting more practice reps and getting my shoulder in game shape is more important than going out there and taking any chances."

Backup Jay Fiedler will start Friday night's game at Giants Stadium and third-stringer Brooks Bollinger will follow. The Jets also have former free-agent rookie Kevin Eakin in camp.

"Obviously, Jay is going to play a lot," Edwards said. "Brooks will take most of it after Jay comes out and we'll go from there."

Law, who signed a multiyear deal with the Jets on Monday, had surgery in January to repair ligament damage in his broken left foot. He took part in light drills on Monday and Tuesday, but hasn't gone through a full practice.

"We'll bring him along day to day every practice," Edwards said. "He's actually doing fairly well, but he's not in shape to participate in full practices yet, as far as I'm concerned, so we're going to bring him along gingerly. We've got a pretty good plan for him."

Law worked out in the training complex with Edwards' son, Marcus, during practice Monday and Tuesday before coming out to study the team's defensive schemes.

"He won't play in this week's game, that's for sure," defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said. "It will be whenever he can get himself physically in condition, football condition. That's what he's doing right now."

Looks like Bollywood might get a chance to redeem himself. :lol:
Redeem himself from what? He's given JF a run in camp, Eakin is already changing his dollars for Euros, and TomShane has a memorial half-master for Vinny again. He plays well and stays healthy, cuz he's gonna get alot of minutes, and Fiedler gets picked a few times, which is gonna happen, who knows? Tell me again why Vin went to the CBoys. Where's RR? Husak? Martin? Akili? QC? Hutchinson? They all gone now.

The first exhibition game any regulars would play a handful of plays if that- this is for the rookies and backups to show their potential and worth

I will be watching the defensive and offensive lines - two areas that might be a concern

Archived