Favre Thought....

strange_andy

Thought I would point out some stats from Brett Favre in 2007:

The Packers were ranked 2nd in total passing yards (4,461) and yards per game (278.8), 6th in TDs (30), 1st in 40+ yards (17), and 5fh in 20+ yards (52).

Also note, he had relatively inexperienced receivers (with the exception of Driver) and a unknown RB, in fact the Jets had slightly better rushing statistics than the Packers.

I guess my point is, the coaching staff needs to loosen the reigns on Favre. As most of us know, Brett is a gunslinger and should be given the "green light" to play football. I've been able to watch a lot of Packers games during the years (being from the U.P.\Michigan), and if the Jets would simply play to his strengths rather than confide him to a system, the offense would open up.

The Packers were ranked 2nd in total passing yards (4,461) and yards per game (278.8), 6th in TDs (30), 1st in 40+ yards (17), and 5fh in 20+ yards (52).

Also note, he had relatively inexperienced receivers (with the exception of Driver) and a unknown RB, in fact the Jets had slightly better rushing statistics than the Packers.

I guess my point is, the coaching staff needs to loosen the reigns on Favre. As most of us know, Brett is a gunslinger and should be given the "green light" to play football. I've been able to watch a lot of Packers games during the years (being from the U.P.\Michigan), and if the Jets would simply play to his strengths rather than confide him to a system, the offense would open up.

The cuffs are not on Favre. Favre is in a DIFFERENT offense that hes hasnt mastered yet.

The cuffs are not on Favre. Favre is in a DIFFERENT offense that hes hasnt mastered yet.

Yeah, the dink and dunk conservative offense, that has sucked with every QB in it. Favre's proven. Mangini and Schott are not. I think blaming Schott is more apropros than giving these two the benefit of the doubt. Schottgini need to coach better. They got rid of Chad and now it's Favre's fault? Ridiculous.

Yeah, the dink and dunk conservative offense, that has sucked with every QB in it. Favre's proven. Mangini and Schott are not. I think blaming Schott is more apropros than giving these two the benefit of the doubt. Schottgini need to coach better. They got rid of Chad and now it's Favre's fault? Ridiculous.

Maybe you should guys should give Favre the chance to learn the offense before you condemn it. Calling this dink and dunk is a load of ****. They went downfield plenty. The problem wasn't moving the ball, it was mistakes that kept putting them in a hole. Penalties, that brutal sack. The only problem I had with the play calling was the 3 straight runs at the goal.

You cannot simply go by the stat lines here. I watched a lot of favre last year and there's this huge misconception that just because he has a strong arm it means he's throwing it down field and airing it out..that didn't happen. Yes, he does take his shots, but he wasn't just bombing it down the field all last year. He hit the quick slants and short screen passes and let driver, jennings and jones use their athletic ability to make plays. I took the liberty of taking green bays top 8 receivers (for yards) last year and calculating their YAC...it was roughly 4046 total yards and 1969 YAC...that just shows that about half the yards favre got was because of the skillset his receivers have.

You didn't see favre take a ton of shots down field becuase he still doesn't have 100% grasp of our play book, amazing raport with all of the receivers and the pats played a good game. It's not at all what we wanted to see out of our offense today, but the play calling isn't so dissimilar to what the pack ran..they just have the advantage of playing in the NFC and driver, jennings and jones played better than cotch, coles and stuckey so far. That's not to say this won't change, but there aren't any handcuffs on favre and the man wasn't throwing downfield on every single play last year. Part of having an amazing arm is that he can throw the quick slants.

Maybe you should guys should give Favre the chance to learn the offense before you condemn it. Calling this dink and dunk is a load of ****. They went downfield plenty. The problem wasn't moving the ball, it was mistakes that kept putting them in a hole. Penalties, that brutal sack. The only problem I had with the play calling was the 3 straight runs at the goal.

We had this one particularly galling 3 and out, where we managed to pass 3 times for 1 yard. It would have been 3 for negative 10 yards, but on the 3rd down play the reciever got about 10 yards YAC.

I don't care how little someone knows the offense, that is just ridiculous and indefensible. Something is wrong with that playcalling and how those plays are designed.

We had this one particularly galling 3 and out, where we managed to pass 3 times for 1 yard. It would have been 3 for negative 10 yards, but on the 3rd down play the reciever got about 10 yards YAC.

I don't care how little someone knows the offense, that is just ridiculous and indefensible. Something is wrong with that playcalling and how those plays are designed.

Funny you bring that up. I think I know what series you mean. On that series Leon had nothing made a ton of great moves but managed to turn a no gain into a five yard loss. On second down Favre pump faked a dump to Jones and then threw it to him anyway and he lost another 5. IMO, that is indefensible. Should have just thrown it away. I don't think we can make an truly informed complaint about the O when we know that the QB has the option to check down. Third was a dump to Leon that you described. If those were all Schott's calls I'm not a fan of running three of the same plays in a row (like 3 runs at the goal).

IMO, dinking and dunking still isn't the problem, it's execution and mistakes that cause losses and 3rd and longs. Hell, if you want to talk about dinking and dunking look at the Pats. They didn't run so well before they put in Jordan and that ****ing bubble screen to Welker was what killed the Jets all game. Not exactly the vertical game.

Less experienced receivers <> Less Skilled receivers. The packers have a far better receiving crew than the Jets.

Cotchery is a younger Driver so experience matters there.

Jennings is far better, and healthier than Coles

James Jones is better than Stuckey right now

No, the handcuffs are definitely on. The handcuffs are on when you have 1st and Goal at the 3 and you run the ball three straight times with Brett Favre behind center. This is the same dink & dunk type offense we've seen with Pennington. The playcalling is atrocious. Schottenheimer's tricks and reverses and all that fun little cute stuff worked for one season. Since then I wish he would leave already.

No lie, 3 times at the goal line....what are they thinking !!

The Favre transaction was a curious one in that it never fit the offensive philosophy of the coaching staff nor fit the team's skill sets on offense.

The timing seemes to only to fit a want to soften a PSL announcement.

No, the handcuffs are definitely on. The handcuffs are on when you have 1st and Goal at the 3 and you run the ball three straight times with Brett Favre behind center. This is the same dink & dunk type offense we've seen with Pennington. The playcalling is atrocious. Schottenheimer's tricks and reverses and all that fun little cute stuff worked for one season. Since then I wish he would leave already.

I don't know what QB would "fit" this system. It was Chad's system, he runs it better than anyone else, and he was run out of town because it isn't good enough. So now, we are taking Hall of Fame QBs, and saying they are at fault for not producing in this system.

System is just another word for bad. When someone says "system" QB or "game manager" they don't mean that these QBs have skills other QBs don't; on the contrary, they mean these QBs just suck. Tom Brady was considered a system QB, and then he went and threw for 4000 yards and 50 some odd TDs, and now everybody just says he is a great QB. Nobody says Kurt Warner is a system QB, they just say he is a 2 time MVP. This also applied to Montana and lots of other QBs. The only time the "system" is mentioned is if the QB sucks.

Now we know the QB doesn't suck, so how can the system possibly be the problem? If the QB is too good for the system, the system blows, and you should be running a new "system" that doesn't blow. Schottenheimer has got to be only the second OC in history to force a system onto an already good QB. The first one was Hackett/Herm, although you could almost pretend that wasn't as bad as this argument is here.

What exactly can't Favre grasp? How can anyone say with a straight face that Favre is only capable of what we've seen? How can anyone realistically say Favre can't throw a pass on 3 plays from the 2? He didn't learn the pass play in that situation or something? He didn't learn the non-run up the gut running plays for that situation? What, he forgot how to handoff? Schottenheimer has some special handoff system? It's too much for us mere mortals to comprehend?

Nah, I'm certain Favre understands and knows far more than we are seeing. Because if he doesn't, and this is truly his level of intelligence and ability, then we got absolutely ripped off in that trade and we will win 6 games AT MOST this season. And it will not improve at all from this point, because apparently there is no coaching problem, it's all the players fault. And the players will not be changing or suddenly getting smarter anytime soon.

Archived