Jets Trade McGraw and Release Hunter

PatsFanTX

Not sure of the validity of this poster on another board, but he sounds legit.

JUST ANNOUNCED:

Traded Jon McGraw to Detroit for a conditional draft choice.

Released Pete Hunter

Yes, not joking.

I'm in the press room at Weeb Ewbank Hall and it was just announced by a member of the PR staff.

Appears that Oliver Celestin will be the starter at strong safety with rookie Andre Maddox backing him up.

Justin Miller will back-up Ty Law at left cornerback.

Crap, I hope I didn't post a false rumor. [-X

Max, use your connections in the Jets FO and verify if this is true.

Jets trade McGraw

By Craig Thomas

Date: Aug 10, 2005

The Jets traded safety Jon McGraw to the Detroit Lions on Wednesday for a conditional draft pick.

Does this mean we get back a 2nd rd pick from the Lions because McGraw was a 2nd rd pick????

Gotta say, Pete Hunter sucks anyways but McGraw has actual talent. I guess the coaching staff really loves the combo of Celestin, Rhodes, Washington and Maddox, and why not? They should all be more durable players than McGlass was.

i am not a fan of this move. when Jon was healthy ... he really made an impact.. He also has heart and seems to be a good guy. Hate to see those people go :( If this is truth.. i actually wish him well..

but i hope it is just another one of Tx's falsehoods. ;)

This just in....

Jon McGraw was injured in a trade today with the Lions.He srapined his neck packing up his Sh#t.

Want to bet he goes to the Lions never gets hurt

makes All Pro and the Lions go to the Bowl!! That's

the way it usually used to happen!! :lol:

It is hard to believe that Ray Mickens was not worth a 5th rounder to someone in the league.

I realize they had to make the move to get Law in under the cap. but couldn't they have waited a day or 2.

Maybe they were doing Ray a favor for playing good soldier, and allowing him to have some control of his future

Jets swap McGraw to Lions for pick, release Hunter

Aug. 10, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The New York Jets traded safety Jon McGraw to the Detroit Lions for a conditional draft pick Wednesday.

Advertisement

The team also released cornerback Pete Hunter, acquired in a trade with Dallas last month.

McGraw, 26, was in his fourth season with the Jets after being drafted in the second round in 2002 out of Kansas State. He had 102 tackles and three interceptions in 33 games, including seven starts, and was a regular member on special teams.

But McGraw was plagued by various injuries during his tenure with the Jets, including missing three games last season with a groin injury and one because of an abdominal injury.

He started six games in 2003 before a shoulder injury ended his season. McGraw had 43 tackles and an interception in 15 games during his rookie season.

Hunter, 25, was a fifth-round draft pick out of Virginia Union in 2002 by Dallas and had 43 tackles, three interceptions and one sack in 30 games.

He played in only three games last season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, and missed some time early in training camp with swelling in the knee.

The Jets acquired Hunter on July 14 for a conditional draft pick.

AP NEWS

Ok so our current corners and safetys to make the team (locks of making it)

Law, Miller, Strait and Barrett

Celestin, Coleman, Rhodes, Maddox, Washington

Maybe that corner from the eagles Brandon Haw makes the team?

Gotta have six corners. This is an interesting move, and one that I don't like all that much. We just traded the one guy on our team that had the ability to stay with Tony Gonzalez in the opener. Say what you will about the injuries, but McGraw absolutely locked up Antonio Gates last season. Twice. Silly trade.

Seems like a pointless move to me. Like Bradway realized he was wasting a draft pick by cutting Hunter, so he decides to trade McGraw to make up for it. Don't like it.

Really, what's for the fans to like? It is not like we have been at practices and evaluated film of Celestin, Maddox, etc. How COULD a fan like this move, based on what we have seen of them? We have seen NOTHING.

Bradway, Herm, etc will get judged on the players that they keep and the games they win (or lose) with them. I would hope that they would make moves based on what is good for the team, and what does not seem to be "safe".

Please, dont tell me now that we are all going to be enamopred with what McGraw or Pete Hunter brought to this team?

Looks like Hutchinson called it in that chat posted by tomshane.

Hutch said the Jets were pretty much fed up with McGraw and his injuries.

Paging Jonathan Carter...Paging Jonathan Carter: The coach wants to see you in his office, bring your playbook.

Archived