Phil Hughes

Barton

He cant even crack 91 mph.

Sorry but he looks like half the pitcher he once was. Why the Yankees changed his mechanics I have no idea. He used to sit at 93, and now he cant even touch that. His curve isn't as sharp either.

He looks like a back of the rotation starter, sorry to say.

Sorry but he looks like half the pitcher he once was. Why the Yankees changed his mechanics I have no idea. He used to sit at 93, and now he cant even touch that. His curve isn't as sharp either.

Actually from what I saw he was hitting 92 consistently this game, and thats the highest he was hitting all year in the big leagues. Earlier in the year, I think he was around the 88, 89 area. Besides, the pitches you saw that you thought were fastballs hitting 86. Those were cutters.

Sometimes velocity means nothing though. I believe Alfredo Aceves hits 90 consistently, and he's showed confidence on the mound. Sometimes, all you need is confidence, not velocity.

As he grows as a pitcher, he'll gain more confidence every day.

Actually from what I saw he was hitting 92 consistently this game, and thats the highest he was hitting all year in the big leagues. Earlier in the year, I think he was around the 88, 89 area. Besides, the pitches you saw that you thought were fastballs hitting 86. Those were cutters.

Sometimes velocity means nothing though. I believe Alfredo Aceves hits 90 consistently, and he's showed confidence on the mound. Sometimes, all you need is confidence, not velocity.

As he grows as a pitcher, he'll gain more confidence every day.

I know about the cutter.

You're right. Sometimes velocity is overrated. Some guys throw a hard 91 mph, and some guys dont.

But I'm not seeing a hard 91 mph from Phil, its pretty flat. JMO.

There's alot ridin on him, so he better be the real deal and he better at least show his real stuff next season or he's done.

They still have this "strikeouts are bad/pitch to contact/Stott" idea that simply is crap ruling their pitching philosophy.Which is why Hughes and kennedy nibble and play game instead of just throwing strike 1. And then, shockingly, they have to sign guys who throw strikes like Wells, Clemens, Cone, et al for this inanity. Not everyone is Wang or Maddux or Leiter, and neither of these guys has anywhere close to that kind of control. Yet the Yanks seem to think that's the only way to go in pitching development-and then wind up overpaying free agents to actually fill in for this idiocy.

Kennedy is crap, scared to death to throw a strike. Shocking he might have been part of any deal for Santana.

Hughes barely touches 90, so the idea he was some great fireballer is nonsense.And if he doesn't have a serious 95 fastball nor pinpoint control, I'm at a loss what's so great about him.

Get ready to write some huge checks to Sabbathia or Burnett or Sheets to -SURPRISE!- throw strikes.

If we sign Ben Sheets the Yankees training staff better ask for a raise because they'll be working a lot of overtime with that guy.

True.

I just don't understand how it is that unheralded young pitchers like Aceves and Ramirez get it-throw strikes and challenge hitters.Yes, they may fail, but at least the go down with a smart approach. While the bonus babies go out and practically pitch around the bottom of the lineup, scared to throw a strike.

Phil Coke looks pretty good to me

We have alot of pen ammo to use for a trade

Yankee issues are far deeper than the pitching....the entire makeup of the team needs a change.

Watch the Sawx go out and get Holliday....he with that short Wall out there will get nasty for us

Phil Coke looks pretty good to me

We have alot of pen ammo to use for a trade

Yankee issues are far deeper than the pitching....the entire makeup of the team needs a change.

Watch the Sawx go out and get Holliday....he with that short Wall out there will get nasty for us

...so we answer with CC and Man Ram. Ditch Giambi and some of the other bloated contracts. Pencil ankle Wang should be back for us opening day. We could have a whole new look.

True.

I just don't understand how it is that unheralded young pitchers like Aceves and Ramirez get it-throw strikes and challenge hitters.Yes, they may fail, but at least the go down with a smart approach. While the bonus babies go out and practically pitch around the bottom of the lineup, scared to throw a strike.

Im thinking Kennedy is too soft for NY. Made some comments earlier in the year how it is tough to develop in NY. Yea, go tell that to Joba or Andy Pettitte pal.

Not sure what the story is with with Pavano Jr. Hughes, but he was a few innings away from a no hitter in Texas last year (his velocity has not been the same since that game) and came into that playoff game last year and pitched very well. So Im still holding out hope for him.

Archived