Goodbye Yankee Stadium

Maxman

(I know, this isn't NFL related -- but the Yankees are bigger than life).

So who watched the last game tonight? It wasn't the best season but tonight was an amazing farewell to an incredible stadium. 4 million plus for four years in a row. None of the fans want to leave tonight and the players don't seem to be in a rush either.

The new stadium is going to be state of the art. It will have some pretty big shoes to fill. The memories that exist because of this stadium won't be easy to top.

It was great to see all the former Yankees before the game. Still can't believe that is the last game that will be played in that stadium. I sat in Box 63 in the 90's before the ticket prices got to be too much for me. Every weekend they were home, just sitting there with the NY Daily News two hours before game time. That is what I remember most. The Yankees weren't winning then but it didn't matter. My wife (then girlfriend) would go with me and pretend like she cared about baseball.

1996 will forever stand out for me as the single greatest year ever. '78 was great, '98 they were unbeatable. I was in the stands for game one of the Subway Series against the Mets. But 1996 -- that one came from nowhere and started the dynasty.

Yankees, thanks for the memories. I took my 5 year old son to his first and only game at the stadium recently. It was one of the best days of my life. We watched the Yankees (lose) but it didn't matter. We had lower level seats but in the 5th inning we got up and walked the stadium. Lower, loge and upper deck. Colin just ran up and down the ramps as the game was being played. Missed an inning or two of the game but he was having fun just checking things out. Really was a great day, one that I will cherish forever.

I am so thankful that I was able to get tickets and get him there. The regret I would feel right now had that not happened wouldn't be good.

Another great moment was last season. Tabor got tickets and invited me. Smizzy was kind enough to give the extra ticket to my oldest son. Even better Smizzy guilted some guy into giving him a ball that came into the stands. Shane was 12 last year when he got that ball and I know it will forver be his greatest memory. Thank you for that.

What is your favorite Yankee Stadium memory?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(I know, this isn't NFL related -- but the Yankees are bigger than life).

So who watched the last game tonight? It wasn't the best season but tonight was an amazing farewell to an incredible stadium. 4 million plus for four years in a row. None of the fans want to leave tonight and the players don't seem to be in a rush either.

The new stadium is going to be state of the art. It will have some pretty big shoes to fill. The memories that exist because of this stadium won't be easy to top.

It was great to see all the former Yankees before the game. Still can't believe that is the last game that will be played in that stadium. I sat in Box 63 in the 90's before the ticket prices got to be too much for me. Every weekend they were home, just sitting there with the NY Daily News two hours before game time. That is what I remember most. The Yankees weren't winning then but it didn't matter. My wife (then girlfriend) would go with me and pretend like she cared about baseball.

1996 will forever stand out for me as the single greatest year ever. '78 was great, '98 they were unbeatable. I was in the stands for game one of the Subway Series against the Mets. But 1996 -- that one came from nowhere and started the dynasty.

Yankees, thanks for the memories. I took my 5 year old son to his first and only game at the stadium recently. It was one of the best days of my life. We watched the Yankees (lose) but it didn't matter. We had lower level seats but in the 5th inning we got up and walked the stadium. Lower, loge and upper deck. Colin just ran up and down the ramps as the game was being played. Missed an inning or two of the game but he was having fun just checking things out. Really was a great day, one that I will cherish forever.

I am so thankful that I was able to get tickets and get him there. The regret I would feel right now had that not happened wouldn't be good.

Another great moment was last season. Tabor got tickets and invited me. Smizzy was kind enough to give the extra ticket to my oldest son. Even better Smizzy guilted some guy into giving him a ball that came into the stands. Shane was 12 last year when he got that ball and I know it will forver be his greatest memory. Thank you for that.

What is your favorite Yankee Stadium memory?

I'm glad you have your memories there and you were lucky enough to bring your son.

Yankee Stadium wasn't all it was cracked up to be. They raped the place in the early '70's. That wasn't the House the Ruth Built.

I miss the old Boston Garden. Saw many a Celtics and Bruins game there back in the day. The place was the same in 1928 as it was in 1994.

I'm glad you have your memories there and you were lucky enough to bring your son.

Yankee Stadium wasn't all it was cracked up to be. They raped the place in the early '70's. That wasn't the House the Ruth Built.

I miss the old Boston Garden. Saw many a Celtics and Bruins game there back in the day. The place was the same in 1928 as it was in 1994.

Go away....I'm not sure I;ll sleep tonight....special night for Yankee fans worldwide

I really wanted to get to one last game this yr and I didn't get to it. Its something I will regret for the rest of my life.

So many great memories...I am glad I had a chance to bring my Son to his first game there.

The new stadium will be state of the art...but I hope it can capture the atmosphere of old Yankee stadium.

Yeah, for those of us who don't have kids yet, that dream is pretty much dead...

Favorite memories:

-- 1996 World Series, the first one I had ever been to.

-- 1998 World Series, the first World Series win I had ever witnessed live, and from SPECTACULAR seats.

-- 2006 Yankees vs. KC: Nothing horribly special about the game, except that my ticket was comped by Mariano Rivera.

I was never a season ticket holder, but Yankee Stadium nonetheless came to feel like a summer home for me. So many great memories. So much history. It was never really summer in my mind until I had visited the Stadium.

----

PS: I TOTALLY already started this thread, Max

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53109

Complete sh1th0le

I graduated in that dump....bad place for anything

I'm sorry you went to Northeastern. Shouldn't graduation be in Matthews Arena?

Either way, the old Boston Garden had as much history as Yankee Stadium. No one outside of New England gave a crap when the Garden was demolished, so why should anyone give a crap about the ****hole that is Yankee Stadium?

Either way, the old Boston Garden had as much history as Yankee Stadium. No one outside of New England gave a crap when the Garden was demolished, so why should anyone give a crap about the ****hole that is Yankee Stadium?

Ding! Ding! Ding!! take that Boston Garden crap somewhere else, this is about Yankee stadium.

A Red Sox fan doesn't think Yankee Stadium was all it was cracked up to be.

Gonna have to file that one under duly noted.

A better dump than Yankee Stadium. What a s h i t hole.

Sorry to hijack your thread Max.

Oh yeah

You ask anyone outside your sh1thole state what is the better venue, I think even a dumb schmuck like you even would know that answer

Keep this thread a Yankee thread

Joe and Donnie chose not to be there? LOL for a student of a game that stadium is laughable.

Knock knock.

Who's There?

Joe Torre and Don Mattingly.

Joe Torre and Don Mattingly who?

Joe Torre and Don Mattingly the guys you blew off so Girardi could be the manager this year.

I thought we might get a Joe Torre video tibute or something to that extent

Oh well, Joe's loss

Went to the game tonight. UN-BE-LIEVE-ABLE. Just a shame Jeter couldn't get a hit. BTW Thank god Molina hit that HR. If Damon went down as the last HR of Yankee stadium I would of shot myself.

Side note: I had never been to Monument Park before, it was always one of those things I kept saying I'd do later. Anyway my buddy and I showed up and got in line at 1 pm. We didn't get to Monument Park until 6:30. That sucked, but it was worth it. Apparently they cut people off 10 minutes after us. I can't believe those people didn't riot.

Anyway, so many memorable things from the night. Plus I levered off my metal seat plate, so I got some stadium memorabilia....but don't tell the Steinbrenners.

Hey Gainzo -- Don't turn this thread into something like that. Seriously, I started this so Yankee Fans could share memories the night the last game was played.

No need to bring up the Boston point of view. Honestly, we aren't interested in that right now.

Hey Gainzo -- Don't turn this thread into something like that. Seriously, I started this so Yankee Fans could share memories the night the last game was played.

No need to bring up the Boston point of view. Honestly, we aren't interested in that right now.

Thanks Max

I should have never sold my damn seats....but who knew we wouldn't play in October:bag:

Went to the game tonight. UN-BE-LIEVE-ABLE. Just a shame Jeter couldn't get a hit. BTW Thank god Molina hit that HR. If Damon went down as the last HR of Yankee stadium I would of shot myself.

Side note: I had never been to Monument Park before, it was always one of those things I kept saying I'd do later. Anyway my buddy and I showed up and got in line at 1 pm. We didn't get to Monument Park until 6:30. That sucked, but it was worth it. Apparently they cut people off 10 minutes after us. I can't believe those people didn't riot.

Anyway, so many memorable things from the night. Plus I levered off my metal seat plate, so I got some stadium memorabilia....but don't tell the Steinbrenners.

Not going to Monument park is gonna bother me for the rest of my life, I always told myself "next time' also, blew my chance this year again. Its great that you were able to get the seat plate, all I have are my tickets LOL. Better than nothing, I guess.

I thought we might get a Joe Torre video tibute or something to that extent

Oh well, Joe's loss

I did think something like that would happen. I think Torre would have done it, I would guess they didn't offer it. Too soon, and after not making the playoffs it probably stings a bit more than they care to admit (the Yankee crack committee).

Awesome. They are going to send you a bill for that. All the players that took dirt are going to be billed as well. :)

Thanks Max

I should have never sold my damn seats....but who knew we wouldn't play in October:bag:

I didn't think there was any chance of them not making for it. Didn't could on 95 wins from the Rays though.

The worst would have been having a game or two lead for the wild card tonight and then not making it. At least this way the stadium got the farewell it deserved.

Archived