Jets 2004 defense vs. 2003 defense

Preston Howley III

In 2003, the Jets total defense ranked 21; against the run, 28.

In 2004, total defense ranked 7; run defense ranked 5.

Why such a big turnaround? The first variable that comes to my mind, is Vilma in specific, and the overall improvement of the LB'ers in general.

Discuss.

Jet Moses- Henderson as the coordinator and Vilma and Barton as linebackers as more athletic and younger players. Not to be overlooked is the improved play of Robertson and Barrett supporting the run defense-that is one of the good things he brings as a CB -his run support

Why such a big turnaround? The first variable that comes to my mind, is Vilma in specific, and the overall improvement of the LB'ers in general.

Discuss.

There just seemed to be a better flow to the ball. In Cottrell's defense, the players just seemed to react slow (blame, Herm, blame Cottrell, blame the defense, I don't know).

Last year they just seemed to attack more. Obviously, having a little bit of speed at the LB poition helps you do that. But there was not a hesitation.

As weel, in '03, the offense was horrible and could not sustain any drives and teh defense was on the field a whole lot more

Discuss.

The reasons the Jets vaulted in total D?

1) Henderson! Cottrell's read and react was not a good system.

2) Vilma - The guy played head & shoulders better than any LB we have had here in a long time.

3) Better DLine play - Marcin coached these guys the right way!

LL

Discuss.

Anytime you improve your run defense, your total defense will follow suit.

DLine (especially DFat) played very well last year.

When DLineman keep bodies off of LB's (like the Jets did last year) they are free to roam and make big plays.

Stopping the run in the NFL is a prerequisite of having a top rated overall defense.

Vilma & Barton > Lewis and Jones

Coleman > Garnes

Younger, Faster and more aggresive.

Actually it was Hobson, Vilma & Barton > Cowart, Lewis and Jones. Even when Cowart was moved to the middle before he got hurt the D was much better with the change in the 2 OLB spots. Cowart wasn't very good at OLB especially next to Lewis and Jones.

Actually it was Hobson, Vilma & Barton > Cowart, Lewis and Jones. Even when Cowart was moved to the middle before he got hurt the D was much better with the change in the 2 OLB spots. Cowart wasn't very good at OLB especially next to Lewis and Jones.

I really thought we should have kept Cowart and switched to a 3-4 this year...

Archived