Smizzy

A

Receiver Works to Show His Mettle

Sign In to E-Mail This

Printer-Friendly

Reprints

By KAREN CROUSE

Published: August 12, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Aug. 11 - If Jay Fiedler completes a first-down pass to Chas Gessner in the Jets' preseason game against the Detroit Lions on Friday night, it will do more than move the chains. It will advance the idea that the best and the brightest are not automatically inferior and inconspicuous athletes.

Fiedler came to the N.F.L. out of Dartmouth. Gessner graduated from Brown. When Fiedler signed his first pro contract 11 years ago as an undrafted rookie, he never envisioned a day when he would be throwing to a fellow Ivy Leaguer.

"It's very rare," Fiedler said, "to get two skilled position guys from the Ivy League on the same team."

Gessner, who turns 24 on Wednesday, knows what a lot of people may be thinking: Ivy Leaguers should be running Fortune 500 companies or the government, not curl routes. He said the perception that Ivy competition was not substantial enough to produce N.F.L.-caliber players was just one more hurdle he would have to clear to earn a roster spot as the Jets' fifth receiver.

"I set out to prove that I can play in this league," said Gessner, who is 6-foot-4. "I try to make a statement every time I go out there that I can make plays."

In a camp overrun by talk of quarterback Chad Pennington's mended right shoulder, cornerback Ty Law's signing and defensive end John Abraham's absence because of a contract dispute, Gessner has been hard to ignore. He has not shied away from competition or contact, demonstrating daily that he is tougher than the entry-level job market demands.

Coach Herman Edwards listed Gessner's attributes: "He's a big guy, runs O.K., real good in the red area because he has the size, and he's a good athlete that can jump."

Gessner, who was on the Jets' practice squad last season, and Harry Williams Jr., a rookie out of Tuskegee, are in a spirited battle for a roster spot with the fifth-year player Jonathan Carter, who has been hindered by injury.

"I think the No. 5 receiver is an exciting position right now," Edwards said.

Gessner said he had worked "really hard on trying to get better," which did not surprise his college coach.

"He was probably the hardest-working player I've ever coached at the wide-receiver position," Brown Coach Phil Estes said in a telephone interview. "He treated every catch as if it was his last."

A receiver learning his role in an offense is not unlike a stage actor learning his lines in a play. First, you have to memorize everything, which takes awhile and tends to be a bit mechanical at first because you have to concentrate so hard. After you have your role down pat, you are free to react, not think.

"I think Chas has really turned the corner in that respect," Fiedler said.

Gessner spent training camp last year with the New England Patriots. He was certain he was making great strides until he was asked to turn in his playbook during the final round of cuts.

"It was a low point," Gessner said. "But I had confidence in my abilities."

After juggling two sports during his first three years of college, Gessner quit lacrosse and played football like someone with some catching up to do. He finished the 10-game 2002 season with 114 receptions, including 24 in a loss to Rhode Island, which tied the Division I-AA single-game record set by Southern's Jerry Rice in 1983.

Once an Ivy Leaguer, always an overachiever. Gessner said he would never stop feeling as if he were playing from behind.

"I've really been trying to keep my head down, stick to the plan, every day go out and grind," he said. "I'm not where I want to be, but I've gotten better."

EXTRA POINTS

CHad Pennington will not see any action Friday night, and neither will Ty Law, who Coach Herman Edwards said was not in shape to play. Receiver Wayne Chrebet and receiver Jonathan Carter also will be held out because of strained hamstrings. Linebacker Eric Barton has tendinitis in his knee and will not play. ... The Jets announced Thursday the signings of two free agents, cornerback Art Thomas and safety Atari Bigby.

Hours after safety JON MCGRAW was traded to the Detroit Lions, his wife, Gretchen McGraw, sat at a hospital for 14 hours Wednesday to lend emotional support to Lia Edwards, the coach's wife, who delivered their first child, Gabrielle. Talk about your tough situations, Herman Edwards said, adding: "I told Gretchen that when I see her husband at the game, I'll give him a big hug. Jon's fine. I think it's a good situation for him, and I think he'll get off to a fresh start."

I'd really be pulling for this kid, except for one thing: Chas. His name is Chas. I can just see Chad, or Brooks throwing to Chas. Perhaps we could get a Biff or Todd to snap the ball to Chad as he tosses one to Chas. Not on my watch, buddy. No chas! (Jonathan can bite it too). Plus, he's smart. I don't like smart people. They make me feel interior. No, Infernious. They make me feel like I'm not as good as they are. And that's true, actually, which hurts even more.

I can just see Chad, or Brooks throwing to Chas. Perhaps we could get a Biff or Todd to snap the ball to Chad as he tosses one to Chas. Not on my watch, buddy. No chas! (Jonathan can bite it too).

You crack me up Lance :lol: Guess I won't be seeing you in Weejuns with a Hermes tie! We have to have those types though - Comedy Central would ultimately run out of material.

I keep repeating Gessner was real impressive at scrimmage in Albany- caught everything thrown at him -he is a nice big target-especially in the red zone area.

Got to root for the underdog to make this team-him being a Ivy leaguer

Archived