You guys want to hear something funny?

banyon

Chiefs dominated 34-0 today at Carolina.

Herm, asked after the game about his team's performance:

"I gotta watch the tape."

He probably had his eyes shut most of the game. Can't blame him :biggrin:. BTW...Welcome to the best New York Jets site on the web. JETS NATION

it is really sad over there.

one guy thinks that if they signed Pennington they would be 3-2... that he would be able to lead them without a running game or offensive line.

and one guy is still defending herm and blaming the coordinators..

its good most have seen the light on what a piece of trash hermie is.... but the others scare me.

I feel bad for them....

it is really sad over there.

one guy thinks that if they signed Pennington they would be 3-2... that he would be able to lead them without a running game or offensive line.

and one guy is still defending herm and blaming the coordinators..

its good most have seen the light on what a piece of trash hermie is.... but the others scare me.

I feel bad for them....

That idiot is this person, Clayton Wendler.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=193447

he's close to done.Guy has a great baseball blog-

This kind of game shouldn’t happen

By JOE POSNANSKI

The Kansas City Star

CHARLOTTE, N.C. | Well, it was fitting that this was the fifth week of the season because the Chiefs have now gone through all five stages of grief. There seemed to be no denial left in the locker room after the Chiefs’ nauseating 34-0 loss Sunday to Carolina. There wasn’t much anger. The Chiefs’ players were not in the mood for bargaining, and few players even seem very depressed.

All that is left for this team is acceptance.

“Games like this are going to happen,” Chiefs running back Larry Johnson said in his brief and thoroughly indifferent press briefing. He answered as many questions (two) as he had yards. Still, his seven-word answer more or less captured the spirit of the locker room. Yeah, it was a tough loss. Hey, we’re a young team. Look, we’re still rebuilding. Games like this are going to happen.

Thing is, games like this should never happen, not if you’re rebuilding, not if you’re rehabilitating, not if you’re regressing, not if you’re redecorating, not if you’re Regis and Kelly. Teams lose. Teams will get blown out. Teams will sometimes even get embarrassed. But what happened to the Chiefs on Sunday was something else, like something out of a kid’s movie. You kept waiting for someone to bring in Gus the Kicking Mule.

For posterity:

•The Chiefs were shut out on a dry field for the first time in 15 years. The Chiefs were shut out against Oakland in 2002 and at home against the Rams in 1994, but both of those were in the mud. Sunday’s game was on a fast track, at least for one team.

•The Chiefs managed 127 yards of offense, their lowest total since — get this — October 12, 1986, at Cleveland. Yeah. That was one day after president Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev met in Iceland. Yeah. The Chiefs’ leading rusher Jamaal Charles (18 yards) was not even born then. Yeah. Those Browns were coached by Marty Schottenheimer. Yeah. Long time ago.

•Only it gets worse. The Chiefs got 50 of those yards in a meaningless fourth quarter, long after the Panthers’ defense had checked out. At one point midway in the third quarter, Carolina’s fourth-string receiver, Mark Jones, had 19 yards receiving. The Chiefs had 18 total yards.

•The Chiefs’ defense gave up 441 yards to Carolina, which is the most the Panthers have piled up on anyone in almost two years. And perhaps the most telling play came in the third quarter when Carolina’s Muhsin Muhammad caught a pass over the middle and outran the entire Chiefs defense to the end zone. Why was this telling? Because it seemed pretty apparent that 35-year-old Muhsin Muhammad is a lot faster than every single player on the Chiefs’ supposedly talented and fast young defense.

•This was the biggest blowout victory in Carolina Panthers history.

So no, this wasn’t just a game that happens, wasn’t just a bump in the road or a slip of the tongue or a flat tire on the highway or a temporary power outage on a stormy night or any of that. This was a disaster, a kick in the teeth, a humiliation galore. This was the lowest point of Chiefs Home Makeover, which is saying something because the last two years the Chiefs have had more low points than Death Valley.

And yet the Chiefs’ locker room had a surprising and disconcerting chipperness after the game. I’m not saying anyone was happy, because it wasn’t that. And I’m not saying that after games like this football players and coaches should lock themselves in stockades and allow quarterbacks with accuracy to throw tomatoes at them. But, from coach Herm Edwards on down, the Chiefs seemed three connecting flights away from reality.

“I thought we started out OK,” Herm Edwards said.

Reality: On the Chiefs’ first offensive play, guard Adrian Jones jumped offside. On the second play, Larry Johnson fell backward for a 2-yard loss. On the third play, quarterback Damon Huard fumbled. On the fourth play, Huard’s pass was batted down. The Panthers got the ball and scored a touchdown in 3 minutes.

“We are at our best when we’re able to be balanced, running and throwing the football,” Huard said.

Reality: In the first half, the Chiefs ran six times and threw nine. Pretty balanced. They had 28 total yards and one first down.

“It’s puzzling to me,” Herm Edwards said. “You play one week like we played against Denver and then we played like this. Same players. Same coaches. I’m puzzled.”

Reality: Lots of players said some variation of this, but they’re probably missing the big point. Yes, last week the Chiefs beat Denver thanks to four turnovers, a huge effort from the home crowd and some angry Larry Johnson running It was a nice moment, no doubt, because it broke a 12-game losing streak and guaranteed that the Chiefs would not go winless in 2008. Nobody wants to take that away. Heck, that will almost certainly be the highlight of the year.

But apparently too many Chiefs people — including Edwards — seemed to believe that Denver victory was some kind of breakthrough game. In retrospect, it was probably just a fluke, one of those lucky victories that happen in the NFL. As one of the few realistic Chiefs players said, “I’m glad we won last week, but let’s face it: We got all the breaks. We can’t count on that.”

The Chiefs apparently did count on it. And after playing in what may be the worst professional football game they ever play in their lives, there didn’t seem to be too many emotions. The anger was drained. The depression was muted. Acceptance has set in.

“We’ve got to learn from it,” several players said.

Learn what? I’m not sure what lesson there was to learn in this game other than these Chiefs, when properly unmotivated and dazed, are capable of playing historically bad football. There’s not much you can do with that bit of learning.

To reach Joe Posnanski, call 816-234-4361 or send e-mail to jposnanski@kcstar.com. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

Archived