Pennington extra sharp in practice

Smizzy

Pennington extra sharp in practice

Monday, August 15, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- For the first time in training camp this summer, Jets quarterback Chad Pennington looked like ... well, Chad Pennington.

Pennington, who is expected to start on Friday night against the Vikings at Giants Stadium in his first action since rotator cuff surgery, had his best and most extensive practice of camp yesterday. He took roughly 50 snaps with the first team and threw 25 to 30 times.

Pennington, who was held out of Friday night's preseason opener against the Lions, had zip on his throws and overthrew wide receiver Justin McCareins on a deep ball (approximately 40 yards). He ran several bootlegs and threw the ball with authority on the run. He was also on target with several medium-range out patterns, a difficult throw.

Afterward, coach Herman Edwards announced that Pennington would practice twice today, the first time he will have done so all camp. On Sunday, Edwards had said Pennington would practice only once a day all camp.

Edwards said he would announce on Wednesday whether Pennington will start, but it's pretty much a done deal he will, barring a setback.

"We're progressing him, watching him and seeing where he's at," Edwards said yesterday following an afternoon workout, the only one of the day. "He's feeling more comfortable throwing the ball. I just want to get him going a little bit more and he wants to do that, too. So we'll see where it's at.

"He could come out here in the morning and it (his shoulder) will feel okay and in the afternoon, he can say, 'I'm a little tired,' and I might rest him. But at this point, I think we're going to try it twice."

Edwards cautioned that no one should sound the alarm if Pennington can't throw in the afternoon session.

"If he doesn't (make it through both practices), he doesn't," Edwards said. "It's not like he went the other way. It's just we're trying to put more on his plate."

After the Jets' 10-3 victory over the Lions on Friday night, Pennington said he planned to start against the Vikings if Edwards gave him the green light. He said his arm felt much better, especially on deep throws, and he felt he had "turned the corner" last week after the scrimmage with the Giants on Aug. 6 in Albany.

"I'm excited about the next few practices and getting more and more reps, and just engulfing myself with this offense and trying to learn as much as I can," he said.

PennyBoy is still only 1-9 against top 10 defensive teams. :wink:

Doesn't matter Tex..The fact that Penny over

threw JMac at the 40+ yd marker means we win

the Bowl!! It's written in the new NFL rule

book check it out!!

PS.. It's on the same page that gives us a Win

over a Team based not on points scored but if

Martin had more yd's then the other back or is

Classier or more loved then that player is on

his Team! In case of a tie the win goes to who

is nicer to his Mommy!! :lol:

Doesn't matter Tex..The fact that Penny over

threw JMac at the 40+ yd marker means we win

the Bowl!! It's written in the new NFL rule

book check it out!!

PS.. It's on the same page that gives us a Win

over a Team based not on points scored but if

Martin had more yd's then the other back or is

Classier or more loved then that player is on

his Team! In case of a tie the win goes to who

is nicer to his Mommy!! :lol:

LOL you are too much

had zip on his throws and overthrew wide receiver Justin McCareins on a deep ball (approximately 40 yards).

I do not know what is funnier.

That Chad throwing an 'approxiamtely 40 yard' pass is newsworthy.

Or...

That McCareins obviously stopped after 20 yards because he was not used to Chad throwing what the average NFL QB can probably do from a seat on the ground.

I do not know what is funnier.

That Chad throwing an 'approxiamtely 40 yard' pass is newsworthy.

Or...

That McCareins obviously stopped after 20 yards because he was not used to Chad throwing what the average NFL QB can probably do from a seat on the ground.

You know how some engines have a "Governor" on

them to keep them from over-revving?? Jet W/R's

have a "Governor" on them to keep them from "Over

Running" Penny's arm!! I just hope that this season

we don't see JMac or Coles catch a long pass from

Penny with his arm still attached to the ball! :shock:

I was at the training camp practice on Sunday, and yes it looked like he was throwing some good balls. Some had the normal chad pennington zip (or lack thereof), but there was two throws which i remember well. The first was a deep ball attempt to McCareins which went 50+ in the air, and actually overthrew him, and another which he zipped into cotchery in double coverage over the middle. He put it right on his hip and away from the lb and cb covering. Both of those throws show that he is well on his way, and is more comforting to me than that article.

Going to the rest of the trainig camps this week, before I go back to school...sproting my newly aquired Mike Nugent Jersey.

No.1 on the jersey, No.1 savior of the Jets.

This is definitely some good news. Reading this makes it seem like he will be ready for the Chiefs on September 11, which is really what counts.

Let the neurotic Patsie fans say what they will, we know they're desperately telling themselves that the Jets are no threat this year. Let em keep thinkin it.

Like assmop said, he was VERY FOOLISH to postponed the surgery for another 2 weeks after the season ended. He should have had it done that following monday or tuesday after the loss to the Steelers. Completely idiotic move, whoever allowed Pennington to wait a week or however too long is was to go under the knife should have their heads checked. He would be so much further ahead of where he is now it isnt even funny.

Like assmop said, he was VERY FOOLISH to postponed the surgery for another 2 weeks after the season ended. He should have had it done that following monday or tuesday after the loss to the Steelers. Completely idiotic move, whoever allowed Pennington to wait a week or however too long is was to go under the knife should have their heads checked. He would be so much further ahead of where he is now it isnt even funny.

youre not even funny...maybe you should sign up for the job, you have all the answers don't you

btw, HE STILL HAS 4 F'IN WEEKS

youre not even funny...maybe you should sign up for the job, you have all the answers don't you

LOL!! Who said I was trying to be funny with that post?

You think Chad will be 100% on opening day? I dont think he will, JMO. If you dont like it, deal with it. Maybe "the premium website" will clue you in on some new "inside" info about Chads progress, yea right. I wasnt pretending to have any answers to anything, smart guy.

Come on 13, barton makes a very good point.

Why did they wait so long for the surgery?

Was PennyBoy at Disney World after the Super Bowl?

Ooops, that was some other QB. :wink:

LOL!! Who said I was trying to be funny with that post?

You think Chad will be 100% on opening day? I dont think he will, JMO. If you dont like it, deal with it. Maybe "the premium website" will clue you in on some new "inside" info about Chads progress, yea right. I wasnt pretending to have any answers to anything, smart guy.

you are such a jack-ass even Tx agrees with you

hows it feel to be banned from JI under 2 different names loser?

We have no idea whether Doctors advised him to wait for swelling/numbness etc to subside.

When you assume you know the medical details you make a assmop out of yourself.

We have no idea whether Doctors advised him to wait for swelling/numbness etc to subside.

When you assume you know the medical details you make a assmop out of yourself.

:lol::lol::lol:

I do remember reading in several papers that Chad or whoever decided to postpone the surgery so he could go on his vacation or wherever he went.

I hope it doesnt come back to bite him and the team in the a**. The last thing this team needs is a Chad not 100% from Day 1. We are trying to go to the superbowl here and we need Chad healthy 100% on opening kickoff in kansas city.

And jetfan13, you are a jackass. YOU AND SOOTH.

I was not JV51. Go tell sooth to check the IP addresses. Too bad he wont admit he jumped the gun and banned JB51 before actually checking the IP addresses.

:lol::lol::lol:

I do remember reading in several papers that Chad or whoever decided to postpone the surgery so he could go on his vacation or wherever he went.

I hope it doesnt come back to bite him and the team in the a**. The last thing this team needs is a Chad not 100% from Day 1. We are trying to go to the superbowl here and we need Chad healthy 100% on opening kickoff in kansas city.

And jetfan13, you are a jackass. YOU AND SOOTH.

I was not JV51. Go tell sooth to check the IP addresses. Too bad he wont admit he jumped the gun and banned JB51 before actually checking the IP addresses.

:Blah::Blah::Blah: tell him yourself...oh thats right you can't :lol:

Archived