KC Chiefs- going for broke this year

faba

Camp tour: Chiefs spell relief with revamped 'D'

Aug. 15, 2005

By Clark Judge

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

Chiefs: Five things to know

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- The Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock.

Their quarterback is 35. So is their star offensive tackle. A Pro Bowl guard turns 34 next month. The star running back is 31 and didn't play the second half of last season. The head coach has talked about retirement.

Practices have been physical, evident in this Priest Holmes collision with newly acquired Ashley Ambrose. (AP)

And he is not alone.

If there's an urgency to win, it's because the team's offense -- the league's best a year ago -- is aging, with quarterback Trent Green wondering if this is the last we see of this group together.

"From an offensive standpoint," he said, "I do believe the window of opportunity is closing. There are a number of us in our 30s. And with Will Shields and Willie Roaf talking about retiring, and some others getting close, we know -- as a unit -- this might be our last year together.

"But I think the biggest urgency comes from what the organization has done. When it said, 'We're going to go out and revamp the defense and bring in a safety, a corner, linebackers and defensive-line help,' they went out and got veteran guys. That sends a message."

And the message is clear: The Chiefs must win now.

The offense that kept the club afloat for most of the last four years can't go on forever, and management knows it. That's why it didn't hesitate to sign two free-agent defensive backs over the age of 30 -- including 34-year-old Ashley Ambrose -- and take a chance on former defensive rookie of the year Kendrell Bell, who missed 13 games last season with a groin injury.

The additions of veterans like Ambrose, Bell, Dewayne Washington, cornerback Patrick Surtain and safety Sammy Knight are meant to boost a defense that finished at or near the bottom of most defensive categories. But, more than that, they're meant to give the offense what it deserves.

Kansas City Chiefs

Out of Nowhere Man

TE Kris Wilson

A year ago the Chiefs thought rookie tight end Kris Wilson would be a factor. Then he broke his left fibula in the last preseason game and was lost for most of the season. Now Wilson is back and catching passes. He has the size (6-3, 250), hands and quickness to make an impact. His return makes the Chiefs offense more flexible, with offensive coordinator Al Saunders occasionally employing Wilson as a second tight end. Some clubs look for one pass-catching tight end; the Chiefs have two.

Five things you should know

One more opportunity to flourish.

Kansas City knows that it can't lean on Green, running back Priest Holmes and tight end Tony Gonzalez indefinitely. So it did what it didn't a year ago and spent millions on defensive veterans, as well as linebacker Derrick Johnson, the club's first-round draft choice. So far the results are encouraging, with Green labeling the defense "vastly improved."

Granted, that wouldn't take much. Kansas City was 32nd against the pass, 31st overall, 32nd in yards per play and 29th in points allowed. But watch the Chiefs' first-team defense in practice, and you see something that's been missing for years.

"They're more physical, but they're also fast," Green said. "And they understand the scheme better. The biggest thing I've noticed about Sammy (Knight) is his communication. He does a great job communicating coverages and defenses. When I'm up (at the line) they're always talking, and that's where we've had breakdowns in the past."

OK, that's at least one area. There was also the tackling. It was dreadful last season. The pass coverage wasn't exactly terrific, either. The Chiefs surrendered an average of 7.47 yards per attempt, worst in the league.

And then there were the takeaways. The Chiefs' 21 were a club low. What's more, they had only eight fumble recoveries, with none produced by their 41 sacks of quarterbacks.

"We're trying to change the identity," said Surtain, "because the last couple of years haven't been so good around here. We brought in guys who made big plays over their careers, guys who can take the ball away. Because anytime you can give this offense the ball back you're looking at points."

The impact has been immediate. Defensive players are aggressive, active and bold in workouts. At one session Johnson leaped high to bat down a pass; at another he dropped 30 yards into coverage to deflect a pass.

There have been interceptions. There have been fumble recoveries. There have been scuffles.

"We're used to running the show around here," Green said. "So it's great to see them fighting back. Before it used to be, OK, we're coming to practice and the offense sets the tempo and we do what we want. Now there are fights, tempo changes and big plays by them."

It's about time, because time is in short supply for an offense where seven of the 11 starters are 31 or older. It tried to shoulder the load alone last year -- OK, the past four -- and you saw what happened. So did the front office, which -- pardon the expression -- came to its defense.

Now, more than ever, the Kansas City Chiefs must succeed.

"Everybody is responding well," said defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. "It's just going to be a matter of time."

Chiefs and Vermeil tried to upgrade their defense with the signings they made and should be improved there but probably not good enough

i saw the "new look" Chiefs defense play the Vikings last week and let me tell ya - i'm not concerned.

When the best player on your defensive line is Jared Allen, that's not a good sign.

I went to the game last Friday and I must say I expected more from the Chiefs defense than I saw. Granted it's the first pre-season game and all, but you would like both your first team units to come out and establish themselves. I didn't really feel they did that. There was a ton of hype around Derrick Johnson and while he didn't embarrass himself, he didn't stand out that much either.

Archived