Why draft a tennis player at linebacker?

R44

Looks like Patriots 5th round pick Ryan Claridge, a linebacker from UNLV, is out for the season.

I thought Claridge was a great 5th rounder, but most insiders said he was very brittle, despite being like 250 pounds of muscle...

Durability concerns got so bad, the Boston media was asking him if his playing varsity tennis for UNLV added to the perception he was "soft" :lol:

Good LB, can rush the QB and stop the run (ideal 3-4 linebacker)....Had he not been so injury-prone, he'd have likely been a 3rd rounder.

If anyone is wondering (or cares) another rookie had an extensive tennis backround in the draft--WR Chris Samp (undrafted, Winona State), who had like a 75 yard reception last night for the Eagles on ESPN.

Wanna bet Samp goes on the IR soon :P

I'm a tennis player myself so I don't see the need to disparage them for that. I also play hockey and get along just fine. I'd imagine playing tennis in the summer heat of Las Vegas is pretty tough anyway.

You've gotta be joking?

This is a joke post, nothing personal to tennis players... :^o

BTY, blame the Boston media for linking his perceived "lack of toughness" to his varsity tennis playing...they played up angle in papers right after he was drafted :mrgreen:

You've gotta be joking?

This is a joke post, nothing personal to tennis players... :^o

BTY, blame the Boston media for linking his perceived "lack of toughness" to his varsity tennis playing...they played up angle in papers right after he was drafted :mrgreen:

Ok I wasn't sure if you were being serious. Boston sportswriters are pathetic. Most of em are even worse than Cimini probably.

Wow, that Patriots draft gets better and better. First we get to read how Matt Cassel is really Dan Marino in waiting, and now they just lost future Hall of Famer Ryan Claridge to injury. Damn football gods can be so cruel.

btw, Tennis players are wimps. Pete "my toes hurt" Sampras? Please.

Wow, that Patriots draft gets better and better. First we get to read how Matt Cassel is really Dan Marino in waiting, and now they just lost future Hall of Famer Ryan Claridge to injury. Damn football gods can be so cruel.

btw, Tennis players are wimps. Pete "my toes hurt" Sampras? Please.

I'm guessing you haven't played much tennis TS. I can't remember what Sampras' exact injury was but I'm sure it was bad enough that it was very difficult to play. Agassi is playing with hammy issues right now and he is a shell of himself. Tennis players often play hurt though.

J-Mac I play tennis also -and I guarantee you have to be in good physical shape to play a singles match especially in hot weather- not a wimp TS

New England draft looks worse and worse-they already let go their 7th round and last pick of this draft.

You Jets fans are so pathetic. We are the Patriots. We have won 3 outa the last 4 super bowls. Belichick can do no wrong. We had a great draft in April and this just cements it. This is just a tactic by Belichick to put the pressure on Monty Beisel to be the best player possible.

BTW, did anybody else see Mike Vrabel limping off the field on special teams kickoff??? hahahaha

J-Mac I play tennis also -and I guarantee you have to be in good physical shape to play a singles match especially in hot weather- not a wimp TS

New England draft looks worse and worse-they already let go their 7th round and last pick of this draft.

Yeah watching the pros do what they do sometimes is amazing. Imagine playing a 5-hour long singles match in the US Open? You have to be incredibly f*cking good shape to do that. Just because there is no physical contact doesn't make it a wimpy sport, and it certainly isn't an easy sport to play.

Hate to burst you guys' bubble but this is more than likely Belichick's patented "redshirt". He did it last season too. He might like what he sees but knows he's not ready to contribute this season. Instead of risking putting him on the practice squad, the player is "injured" and put on the IR.

BTW, did anybody else see Mike Vrabel limping off the field on special teams kickoff??? hahahaha

Oh yeah, that was funny as hell. Not nearly as funny as seeing this little old lady get mowed down in the street today but I still had to chuckle. :shock:

Archived