Interesting Article from the Journal News: Kit Stier

TomShane

The Jets' problem solver

By KIT STIER

kstier@thejournalnews.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

When second-year Jets safety Erik Coleman decided he wanted to finish his communications major at Washington State, he sought the help of one man.

When rookie safety Kerry Rhodes needed his car shipped from Louisville to New York, he knew whose door to knock on.

And when Brooks Bollinger needed to find a place to get his oil changed, he turned to his go-to guy.

Meet Kevin Winston, officially the Jets' vice president of player development but also the team's professional problem solver.

"My door is always open," said Winston, who came to the Jets from Tampa Bay with Herman Edwards. "If players have issues

Thanks Tom

Sometimes you lose sight of the things the players have to deal with-personal matters with housing and family concerns. It is important to have a network set up to help these players from all over the country unfamiliar with the area

Interesting story from me

Sitting at my local sports bar last week watching the Jets vs Lions

No too many Jets fans there, but this one lady next to me is cheering on quite loudly. Didn't really pay much attention to her for the majority of the night.

Soon, she starts really whooping it up, so I start talking Jets with her. She seemed to be pretty knowledgeable......so I asked her was she a big Jets fan....does she follow them much?

She says, well hell yeah, so we keep talking and I ask if she is from the Island....she sort of stutters, then says "well, my husband is a coach on the Jets!"

I was like. WTF? Turns out, she is John Zernhelts wife....he's our TE's coach

Coach Zernhelt was the Head Coach at The Citadel down here (it was a big deal down here), who took the Jets job because of his relationship with Dinger at Duke. SUpposedly Dinger had been trying to recruit Coach Zernhelt for some time now.

Needless to say....I think a nice little friendship has blossomed with Mrs. Zernhelt, and we'll be watching alot of games at the local watering hole, as well as the sidelines :mrgreen:=D> Coach Zernhelt has frequented my establishment on many occasions as well.

Archived