Night Practice: REVIEW

Jack Straw

Hi All,

Tonight I was lucky enough to attend Training Camp. These were my observations.

Ben Graham: It's been talked about over and over on this board, but I must reiterate it: The man has a cannon for a leg. Tonight, he was consistently punting the ball 65 yards with very good hang time. He would step back at his own end zone line and would punt the ball to the oppositions 40-35 yard line, again, with very very good hang time. I liked what I saw very much in terms of his leg.

Negatives: When he was simply booting the ball alone, he seemed to take an extra half-step before punting the ball. This could lead to a problem with blocks IMO, but Westhoff knows more then me, so He must not think it's a problem. IMO, it didn't look like Graham was doing a bad job of holding, but Nugent did seem to hook a few tonight when he was holding. This is the X-Factor with Graham. If he can get in a comfort zone with Nugent in terms of holding the ball well, he will be the hands down winner of this punting competition. He's that good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Knorr: Did very well tonight. Graham had a hell of a practice, but Knorr certainly didn't embarrass himself. Was consistently punting from his end zone to the oppositions 40, but not with the same hang time as Graham. Did a very nice job holding, which sadly could be what decides this Punt-Off.

Pennington: Sorry to be the burden of bad news, but Pennington looked pretty Bad out there tonight. I hope that it's rust, but he was certainly struggling. On 3 Occasions Pennington would have taken sacks due to either Very Good coverage or to him not making the proper reads. IMO, it didn't seem like he was checking down his receivers quickly enough. He was unsuccessful on all of his deep ball attempts. I saw him throw the ball about 45 yards in the air tonight, which certainly isn't a bad thing. Pennington's arm, looked, well...FLAT - Pennington lacked great zip on almost all of his throws. Folks, I don't think he's lying when he says he is only 85-90% healthy. IMO, I don't think Pennington is ready for live action against the Vikes. He needs to make sure that he is healthy. Pennington also threw a bad pass that was intercepted by Justin Miller. Pennington didn't seem to have a problem throwing 50 yard passes, but did have trouble like he usually does throwing 20-25 yards passes with good zip. Brooks Bollinger and Jay Fiedler looked much better throwing the ball tonight and had more zip on their passes. If Pennington can get his arm 15% stronger by Sept 11, then he should be fine.

Justin Miller: Looked TERRIBLE on special teams tonight...absolutely TERRIBLE. Dropped about 10 punts tonight, at the bare minimum. Couldn't field ANYTHING, I would be 100% shocked if J-Mac isn't the one on Punt Duties this year. Unless Miller picks it up, he won't be on special teams at all.

However, he did look solid on Defense tonight. He did Pick off Pennington, which was more of a bad play by Pennington then a good play by Miller.

Eric Barton: Practiced with no Knee Brace and looked very healthy.

Dewayne Robertson: Looked very good tonight. Was very active and is one strong bull. He did look like the advertised "Bowling ball with butcher knives"

Well, that's all I can remember right now, If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Justin Miller: Looked TERRIBLE on special teams tonight...absolutely TERRIBLE. Dropped about 10 punts tonight, at the bare minimum. Couldn't field ANYTHING, I would be 100% shocked if J-Mac isn't the one on Punt Duties this year. Unless Miller picks it up, he won't be on special teams at all.

I love on every report I read it goes from 5-6 drops, to 7 drops to now 10 drops.

BZ

I love on every report I read it goes from 5-6 drops, to 7 drops to now 10 drops.

BZ

BZ if you watched him and nothing but him the drops migh have been 10. I said that he dropped like 6 during warmups. Before the rest of the team was on the field.

Archived