Jets Vs. Vikes thoughts: MERGED

DireJet38

What I noticed:

- Even with the rotating starters at DT, this team is very tough to run against. Say what you will about Minny's D being overrated or underrated. But their offense hasn't had such trouble running the football. Bennett is a 5 ypc runner when healthy & he went nowhere.

- Pennington looked VERY good. Usually if he went 9-of-10 or whatever it was, it was because he threw 6 passes to Sewell, 2 to Martin, and one quick 7-yd slant to McCariens on 3rd-&-15. Loved the move to get Coles back when it happened, & love it even more now.

- The play-calling on offense (after letting Pennington get the rust off the first 2 series) is what gets me more excited than anything for this season. I'd almost forgotten what it looked like for a Jets QB to throw a pass beyond the first-down marker on 2nd or 3rd down. Or have a receiver run a pattern that calls for him to be in the endzone when catching a pass. Was a pleasure to watch. No matter what the team’s record said, the one thing about the Jets in most of Herm/Hackett’s tenor: they were really boring to watch & almost every win seemed like we squeaked another one out in a low-scoring yawner. Obviously that is over. No guts, no glory.

- Martin looked like crap. It's only pre-season & shouldn't be risking injury to get those extra 1-2 yds in a glorified practice, but he still looked slow.

- Vilma is friggin’ awesome.

- The two things lacking on D were the pass rush & the pass coverage. Two of the NFL’s best at each weren’t in the game.

- Daunte Culpepper: this guy is f-ing great. I don’t think he’ll miss Randy Moss nearly as much as Moss misses him. Expect Randy-quotes during the season about “dat lead-footed redneck.”

- I saw countless camera shots of: Donnie Henderson, charts in hand, barking into his headset with the defense on the field; Mike Heimerdinger, charts in hand, barking into his headset with the offense on the field; Herm Edwards, with no one near him when ANY of his players were on the field, not talking through his headset. Evidently he only talks through a microphone when it belongs to a member of the press. He looks like a fan who won a contest to get to hang out on the Jets sideline during the game. HOWEVER…if he’s got good players, those players like him, and he’s got 3 top coordinators & lets them all do their own thing without his input, we’ll be just fine. Still don’t understand how that makes him a top coach, but I’ll take it for now.

- If Graham doesn’t win the punting job, I’m going to go to Hofsra & switch Westhoff’s cane with one of those collapsible ones made for magicians.

What I noticed:

- Even with the rotating starters at DT, this team is very tough to run against. Say what you will about Minny's D being overrated or underrated. But their offense hasn't had such trouble running the football. Bennett is a 5 ypc runner when healthy & he went nowhere.

- Pennington looked VERY good. Usually if he went 9-of-10 or whatever it was, it was because he threw 6 passes to Sewell, 2 to Martin, and one quick 7-yd slant to McCariens on 3rd-&-15. Loved the move to get Coles back when it happened, & love it even more now.

- The play-calling on offense (after letting Pennington get the rust off the first 2 series) is what gets me more excited than anything for this season. I'd almost forgotten what it looked like for a Jets QB to throw a pass beyond the first-down marker on 2nd or 3rd down. Or have a receiver run a pattern that calls for him to be in the endzone when catching a pass. Was a pleasure to watch. No matter what the team

Excellent post besides the Herm agenda.

I guess we have to monitor his talking into his headset now. :wink:

So you think Herm is a excellent Game day Coach??

Maybe Herm should take over Hacketts old seat in

the Sky Box? Unless you think that Hermie's Game

Input is a valued asset to both Coach Henderson and

Dinger? :roll:

Not today my friend.

You will have to find another source to kick start your day long posts concerning the HC and/or RB.

LOL You can't even answer a simple question when

you said I was wrong about what you meant by Herm

agenda?? Here's the main difference between me and

alot of other Jet Fans..Take Jordan for a example!

Remember that ill fated pass in the Raven Game?

You know who I blame 100% for that? J-O-R-D-A-N!

He.. not Hackett or Herm single handedly lost that

Game by not throwing it out of the reach of anyone!

Reminded me of another bonehead play during another

Raven Game in the 16th Game of 2000! We were

giving the Raven's

all they could handle and Vinny throws

a Int that went for a TD when we could have had at

least a FG before 1/2 time!! The difference between

me and the Martinette's and the Hermophiles is the

excuse machine never stops for Martin or Hermie!!

The Mantra for them is anything good the credit

goes to them ..Anything Bad blame anyone else..

Or in your case don't answer a simple question!!

Savage, best avitar ever...

Anyhoo, back on topic.

Pennington looked good, for a spaghetti arm!! I kept hearing about this weak arm... he must've hit the weight room or somthing because he looked pretty sharp. Coles is a stud at WR. The vikings 1st team O looked really sharp on that 1st scoring drive. That took a nosedive quickly. Troy Williamson showed some great spark in a HUGE sideline catch, then on his TD reception a couple plays later. Would've definatly been a closer game if our special teams baffoons didn't beef the kick a couple times. The J-E-T-S (jets jets jets)exploited our back-up cornerback a couple times. I can't wait for Smoot to get back into the game.

Vilma is going to be a fantastic LB. Probably not a Dan Morgan/Brian Urlacher/Ray Lewis. But i would definatly have him in my top 10 MLBs. Possibly my top 10 LBs in general. Other then that i didn't see anything spectacular on the Jet's D. Oh yeah, besides the fact you shut down our apparent crappy running game.

Other then that. Decent match-up, your squad is definatly better then the KC boys. Then again, KC sat several of their Defensive starters.

Good luck in your season. and here's to seeing you in the superbowl!! ;)

good post swaps. our d backs looked horrible. ty law & john abraham will play a major role in changing that. what you saw was a very vanilla jets d package, so please check back in with us during the regular season & give us your assessment. good luck with this season. duante looks like he can take you guys a long way. class act indeed. I must say I prefer our defensive coach to yours though

I keep hearing thinks about Teddy Cots. But we'll have to see how he looks when the new squad is 100%. I really want to see how our 1st team offense can handle playing a full 4 qtrs. Watching them in the 1st qtr doesn't really give any idea how they'll play during the regular season. Same with the backups. I think they should play a full game with the backups. When the starters are set, plus it'll give the rookies 4 full quarters to learn the system.

Archived