No More Mr. Nice Guy: Henderson Demands Perfection

Smizzy

No More Mr. Nice Guy: Henderson Demands Perfection

By DAVID PICKER

Published: August 23, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Aug. 22 - Donnie Henderson, the Jets' defensive coordinator, could not believe his eyes. Midway through the team's morning practice Monday, wide receiver Wayne Chrebet slipped past safety Erik Coleman and caught a deep pass from Chad Pennington.

As Coleman returned to the line of scrimmage, Henderson pointed at him and barked like a drill sergeant.

"He told me to get my eyes out of the backfield and stop looking at the quarterback," Coleman said.

A few plays later, Coleman locked his eyes on the receiver and intercepted a pass from Pennington. Henderson witnessed the play but saw no reason to extend an encouraging word to Coleman, a second-year player. A soft side to Henderson may exist, but not on the football field.

Jets players have grown accustomed to Henderson's fiery nature. In his second season with the team, he is known for demanding perfection. The Jets ranked seventh in team defense and fifth against the run in the league last season.

"I'm young, I'm going to make mistakes," the rookie safety Kerry Rhodes said. "But he doesn't see it that way. He wants me to come out and do everything right."

On Aug. 6, the Giants got a taste of Henderson's intensity when they practiced with the Jets at the Giants' training camp in Albany. On the second play of the practice, a melee between the teams broke out.

Giants Coach Tom Coughlin and Henderson also got into an argument. Coughlin accused the Jets of playing too aggressively; Henderson defended his players by saying they were going at normal speed.

With the teams playing each other Friday night at Giants Stadium, Henderson's role in Albany is resurfacing. But he would much rather respond to questions about the Jets' defense, which has allowed a combined 24 points in the first two preseason games.

"What happened in Vegas, stays in Vegas," Henderson said.

He said Monday that he had made amends with Coughlin. Henderson said he had called him and told him he took responsibility for how his players acted during the practice. He indicated that Coughlin appreciated the call.

Henderson, 48, began his N.F.L. coaching career in 1999 as the Baltimore Ravens' assistant defensive backs coach and has aspirations of becoming a head coach. After practice, he was asked if he thought that general managers around the league might frown upon his style.

"I can only be me, guys," he said. "There's one thing my dad always told me, 'Be you.' "

Henderson's style is markedly different from that of the Jets' coach, Herman Edwards, who has earned a reputation for being laid-back and nurturing.

"I'm more of the type of guy that's going to be a little bit more confrontational when you make mistakes," Henderson said. "I'm going to get to the bottom of it and make sure we get it corrected. And I don't make any bones about it.

"Herm is more of a guy that understands exactly what he wants, and his personality fits him. Herm doesn't get excited about too many things, which is good. You'd like to have a head coach like that."

Henderson noted that another difference between them is that Edwards played 10 seasons in the N.F.L., while Henderson, a former cornerback at Utah State, never played in the league. "He's been through the wars as a player, so he understands the players from that point of view," Henderson said.

Edwards called Henderson a passionate coach who respects the game. Asked about the Albany incident, he said cheap shots were not part of Henderson's lexicon.

"He's not a villain," Edwards said. "He's a very intense football coach. And if you're around the guy, he's a good teacher. His players play hard for him. He's a gentleman. He conducts himself that way. And regardless of all the rumors and all the innuendos and everything that have been said, Donnie's a heck of a football coach."

Edwards, who was an assistant head coach and a defensive backs coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996 to 2000, was amused by the perception that he is viewed as the good cop while Henderson is seen as the bad cop.

"I used to hear that in Tampa, I was the bad cop," Edwards said, laughing. "Now I come up here and I'm the good cop. It's just according to where you're at."

Coleman was asked with whom he would be more likely to discuss a personal problem, Henderson or Edwards. He paused for about five seconds, then answered with the agility of a politician.

"Donnie, he's a great guy, and I'm sure I can go talk to him about anything," Coleman said. "But Coach Herm is more of a players' coach."

EXTRA POINTS

The Jets waived wide receiver Jonathan Carter, who had 14 receptions and 266 yards in two-plus seasons with the team. Carter, a fourth-year player, started one game and returned 17 kickoffs in 2004.

By DAVID PICKER

Published: August 23, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Aug. 22 - Donnie Henderson, the Jets' defensive coordinator, could not believe his eyes. Midway through the team's morning practice Monday, wide receiver Wayne Chrebet slipped past safety Erik Coleman and caught a deep pass from Chad Pennington.

It's 1:55 AM Detroit Time.

I'm going to bed.

I expect to see TX's response by morning when I wake up.

That is all. Carry on.

Coleman was asked with whom he would be more likely to discuss a personal problem, Henderson or Edwards. He paused for about five seconds, then answered with the agility of a politician.

"Donnie, he's a great guy, and I'm sure I can go talk to him about anything," Coleman said. "But Coach Herm is more of a players' coach."

Thank goodness for Donnie Henderson.

Thank goodness for Donnie Henderson.

Has a "player's coach" EVER won a Super Bowl title? :shock:

d!ck Vermeil

2004 Belichick NOT

2003 Belichick NOT

2002 Gruden NOT

2001 Belichick NOT

2000 Billick NOT

1999 Vermeil YES

1998 Shanahan NOT

1997 Shanahan NOT

1996 Holmgren NOT

1995 Switzer NOT

1994 Seifert NOT

1993 Johnson NOT

1992 Johnson NOT

1991 Gibbs NOT

1990 Parcells NOT

1989 Walsh NOT

1988 Walsh NOT

1987 Gibbs NOT

1986 Parcells NOT

1985 Ditka NOT

Vermeil was the #1 and only "players' coach" in the last 20 years has won the SB. (Not that I'm sure ANY of the coaches prior to that were, so it may be 1 in the last 50 years).

Herm is an idiot.

Herm is a deer in headlights when a quick decision is needed.

Herm is a cross between a cheerleader & a simple fan with the best spot in the stadium to watch the game.

That being said, I hope Herm is #2. He certainly coaches like it.

2004 Belichick NOT

2003 Belichick NOT

2002 Gruden NOT

2001 Belichick NOT

2000 Billick NOT

1999 Vermeil YES

1998 Shanahan NOT

1997 Shanahan NOT

1996 Holmgren NOT

1995 Switzer NOT

1994 Seifert NOT

1993 Johnson NOT

1992 Johnson NOT

1991 Gibbs NOT

1990 Parcells NOT

1989 Walsh NOT

1988 Walsh NOT

1987 Gibbs NOT

1986 Parcells NOT

1985 Ditka NOT

Vermeil was the #1 and only "players' coach" in the last 20 years has won the SB. (Not that I'm sure ANY of the coaches prior to that were, so it may be 1 in the last 50 years).

Herm is an idiot.

Herm is a deer in headlights when a quick decision is needed.

Herm is a cross between a cheerleader & a simple fan with the best spot in the stadium to watch the game.

That being said, I hope Herm is #2. He certainly coaches like it.

Excellent analysis Sperm.

That entire list says it all about a "players" coach.

They just don't win.

And neither will Hermy. :wink:

Wrong.

Off the top of my head I mentioned Vermeil, but Gibbs was definetly a player's coach.

Herm is a player's coach, but to his credit, he has gotten tough on his players when needed.

All I expect out of Herm is to stand on the sidelines and not screw things up. That Hendu and Heimer are here, inhouse, makes me sleep much easier at night.

You can make the case thay any coach in the NFL is a "players coach". Obviously, nobody does it as good as Herm, but I am not gonna hold that against him! :lol:

And Joe Gibbs can definetly be considered a players coach.

Dude, Joe Gibbs is a lot mellower (and maybe or maybe not coincidentally a lot worse) now than he was back in the day. He was never as loud as a JJ or BP, but don't confuse that lack of screaming for being a softie players' coach (see BB if you disagree). Oh, and this other small difference: he was smart. He had the ability to anticipate what the opposition might do & think up ways to counter & overcome it. He almost made it look easy or obvious. If you'd watched him coach in the past you'd know what I mean. Of course I think you were 3 years old then; don't tell me you watched the NFL highlight films. I'm sure someone could put together some footage that makes Herm look like he really knows his stuff & is an integral part of the gameplanning. You have to watch them coach against other top coaches (Gibbs vs Parcells & co was one matchup we saw in NY plenty of times) to see what they're made of.

Herm gets the most out of his players, jmo. Players love him, love playing for him and give it that xtra effort.....jmo. I dont think he is a great X and O coach, obviously he is not even a good X and O coach, but he makes up for that with being a great teacher and motivator. Plus, he is a former NFL player who knows the ropes.

Archived