MERGED: Jets on the way back to NYC

Buldawg

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=52994

Top Stories

Jets Eyeing Possible Return To Queens

August 23, 2005

They've played their home games in New Jersey for more than 20 years, but an effort to lure the New York Jets back home to Queens is moving forward.

The Jets had a meeting with Queens Borough President Helen Marshall Tuesday, after which it was announced the two sidea have approved a plan to bring the team back to Flushing and build a new football stadium there. The deal still needs state and city approval.

Officials are considering building a new stadium on the former site of the 1964 Worlds Fair. The Fountain of the Planets sits on the eastern end of Flushing Meadows Park, and is within walking distance of the Unisphere, Shea Stadium and the National Tennis Center.

The Jets shared Shea with the Mets for two decades before going to New Jersey. The team has never had a stadium of its own.

Area residents who spoke to NY1 weren't entirely sold on the idea.

"Not here. Willets Point, yes, but not here. This is for the people. Let the people enjoy this. Where else can they go? They need somewhere to enjoy the park," said one area resident.

"I would be against it," added another. "I live in the neighborhood and it's congested enough already due to activity in the park."

If a stadium gets built, sources say the team would transform the junkyards and auto shops in nearby Willets Point into green space.

The plan could be a long shot. After the West Side Stadium plan fizzled, the team turned much of its attention to a new stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands that could be co-owned by the New York Giants.

I think that that would be a great situation...to have a New York football team actually IN New York

i think the move to queens is great but the whole ny/nj thing is totally overrated. the cowboys don't play in dallas, neither the reskins hq nor home field is in DC, the dolphins don't play in miami, etc...

But the Jets share it with the Gmen

and the Cowboys still play in texas as well.

Anyways, I hope this deal goes through. It will be great to see the Jets have their own home. Kick the Giants to the curb, let them stay in Jersey with the rest of the trash, the Jets are New Yorks team.

Sheldon silver, that piece of s h i t can't touch this because it does not involve his silly little three man group..for that matter neither can bruno. The only a s s h o l e who can stop it is Pataki...and after what they found on those tapes (as seen in the NY POST) i doubt he would do that.

SO JETS IN QUEENS SEEMS LIKE AN EASIER ROUTE THAN JETS IN MANHATTAN...

WOOO HOOO!

LL

Jay Cross reminds me of when Norm became the hatchet man on Cheers. He's the designated bad guy.

That is what Norm hired Mr. Krieger (spelling?) for.

I loved that episode. He owned the painting company and said guys its not me, its him. Then they quit on Norm because he was too soft! =D>

Lets just get the best deal for the Jets and the fans- this New York Jet fans fighting against New Jersey Jet fans is ridiculous to me- we are ALL Jet fans

Lets support the team getting the best possible deal for a stadium wherever it is

This is great news. Its going to be a pain in the a$$ for me to drive to, just like Shea is, but who cares? A stadium all their own, in New York State, in New York City, and no one can then argue second-class citizen status ever again.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

HOLD ON THERE PARTNER!

It's just a scare tactic leading up to Tomorrows meeting with Governor Cody.

The plan could be a long shot. After the West Side Stadium plan fizzled, the team turned much of its attention to a new stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands that could be co-owned by the New York Giants

The Jets now have the ability to play off both sides for the better deal & MUCH LESS MONEY to put out.

That's a little thing they call NEGOTIATIONS - we are not in queens just yet!

And FABA, I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially since I did on that other site & was ANTI-NJ'd off of it because I couldn't deal with all of the HATE!

This is great news. Its going to be a pain in the a$$ for me to drive to, just like Shea is, but who cares? A stadium all their own, in New York State, in New York City, and no one can then argue second-class citizen status ever again.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Nice. I like your attitude.

BZ

Nice. I like your attitude.

BZ

Seriously, I go early to the games now, and stay after, having a burger post-game, so my trip to the Meadowlands is a relative piece of cake from where I live in Brooklyn. A new stadium by Shea would make my trip longer, but Im willing to sacrifice to get them their own stadium back in New York.

Archived