Anybody read that Post article on Knoor?

SoFlaJets

what a little bitch!!!

JETS' PUNTING DUEL HARD TO IG-KNORR

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 24, 2005 -- Here's a tidbit of advice for anyone who happens to bump into Micah Knorr: Don't mention the name Ben Graham.

Knorr, a six-year NFL veteran, is competing for the Jets' punting job with Graham, a former Australian Football League star who's trying to make a new career for himself in a job that's been as rock solid in the Herman Edwards era as the Yankees' starting rotation this season.

The competition between the two has been relatively even through training camp and two preseason games (Graham is averaging a 43.8-yard gross in eight punts and Knorr 42.0 yards on five punts).

Graham's presence and the abundant amount of attention he's gotten because of his interesting story, though, seem to be lost on Knorr, who, during an interview with The Post yesterday turned tighter than the expression on the face of his former coach in Denver, Mike Shanahan, when Graham's name was brought up.

A simple question asking him if he felt a bit overlooked at times because Graham's story had generated such attention sent Knorr to a dark place.

"It doesn't matter to me. You guys [reporters] create your stories and you guys twist quotes and stats the way you want to twist them," Knorr said. "My job is to go out and do what I'm asked to do. I learned at an early age, in high school, not to worry about what's written in the media because you guys will create stories. My job is to perform.

"Ben is not a concern and not a thought in my mind," Knorr said. "You say Ben's a novelty. I'm glad you think so. But we're in a punting competition, not a media competition."

When it was explained to Knorr that Graham isn't the typical NFL guy coming in and trying to win a job in the NFL, he quickly interjected, saying, "And neither was I. You don't know my story, so that's OK."

When asked to tell his story, Knorr, sounding like a petulant child, refused, saying, "That's OK. Next question."

When asked again, Knorr said, "My story's out there. You just have to dig a little bit."

When told the reporter was there for the purpose of getting to know him and learning his story, Knorr said, "I'm not going to come out and tell you. I'll let you do your job."

And so ended the conversation with Knorr, which was saturated with more uncomfortable moments than a Larry David confrontation on the HBO hit series "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

For the record, a Google Web search of 19 pages and 188 items found no compelling story about Knorr. As for the life-loving Graham, he said making it in the NFL "would mean a hell of a lot" to him and his family.

"It's been a great challenge that I've put myself and my family up to," he said. "For my wife, Katie, and two young daughters, it's taken them out of their comfort zone coming to a new country, a new environment and new school. We're doing this as a family. After all that, hopefully it'll work out."

Archived