Jets drop Beitia PK and add a linebacker

faba

08-24-2005 TOP STORY

Jets Sign Rookie LB Kinney, Waive K Beitia

The New York Jets announced Wednesday that the Club has claimed rookie linebacker James Kinney off of waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars and waived rookie kicker Xavier Beitia. The announcements were made by Jets

Last spring, I spent almost no time on James Kinney for DD.com.

Reason?

He was one of Mizzou's all time leading tacklers, and didn't get an All-Star or combine invite (350 players invited).

Think about that for second?

No need to "breakdown tape", that kind of tells you he had some major flaws.

I always thought Kinney was a "tweener"--too small for a linebacker; step slow for a safety.

All in all, this isn't bad, considering he's just being brought in for a quick look--can't hurt, right?

Check this link: http://www.showmenews.com/2004/FirstAndTen/20040826Firs005.asp

Notice 2 things:

1) How small he looks for a linebacker (he's clearly not as big as his listed size).

2) How "unimpressive" Mizzou's all-time leading tacklers are.

Ryan Meyers, what a name from the recent past, huh?

Wasn't too long ago that he was shattering all sorts of NFLe records for Scotland...

I think, as you say, he's in tough spot...Haley from Virginia seems to have more momentum, at this point.

Meyers best shot is if Westoff likes him for special teams...

Speaking of undrafted LB's, TS, checkout that Chase Blackburn from the Giants this pre-season?...Might be the best undrafted player I've seen this pre-season.

We paid little attention to him at DD.com last spring because he was from Akron (which yielded about 50 points per game), but he's been amazing in the pre-season---I don't know how coach C. can cut him, but he'll proably be forced to (numbers game) cut him...Bradway may want to check him out, too.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050817/SPORTS/508170454/1002

Archived