A.J. Burnett offered 5 yr deal from Yankees

MagicBizkit87

http://yesnetwork.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=yesnetwork&tid=63732

Source: Yankees offering Burnett five-year, $91.5M deal

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: December 10, 2008, 6:51 PM ET

The New York Yankees, making a hard late charge to beat out the Atlanta Braves for A.J. Burnett, offered the free agent right-hander a guaranteed five-year contract Wednesday, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

A.J. Burnett

4153.jpg Starting Pitcher

Toronto Blue Jays

2008 Season Stats GM W L BB K ERA 35 18 10 86 231 4.07

Although the total dollar figure isn't known, Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, is believed to be seeking a deal approaching Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million contract with the Chicago Cubs. Burnett is moving closer to making a decision on his next destination, the source said, and a deal could be in place as soon as Thursday.

The Braves, who had offered a four-year deal with a fifth-year option worth a guaranteed $60-65 million before the meetings, have also expressed a willingness to go to five years on Burnett if necessary.

The Yankees, intent on upgrading their rotation before the winter meetings, agreed in principal to a seven-year, $161 million contract with CC Sabathia early Wednesday.

God dammit, why? Stay the F away from this chump. Aside from playing the Yankees & Red Sox in his contract year he has been NOTHING. He is Carl Pavano, or better yet for this message board, a less productive Chad Pennington.

God dammit, why? Stay the F away from this chump. Aside from playing the Yankees & Red Sox in his contract year he has been NOTHING. He is Carl Pavano, or better yet for this message board, a less productive Chad Pennington.

Why? The Yanks need him. Why be so hard on the Yankees? 91.5 million for a 31yo pitcher who just had his second season with 30 starts. No worries.

The dude has nasty stuff and he seems to elevate his game against stiffer competition. Between him and Lowe I want him. His injury problems are well documented but I hope with our bullpen and Girardi's managing of the staff we can can keep him healthy.

The truth is we need a solid pitching staff to keep up with the Sox and the Rays, we're the #3 team in the AL East and we want to compete now. I dont' see anything wrong with management trying to compete. I don't want them to give up on Hughes and I still want Joba in the rotation.

Injury proned guy who is a piece of garbage against every single team in a non contract year and good against the Yanks & Sox only in a contract year

vs

A guy a little older, a little cheaper, who is a very good #3 starter at this point, which is what we need, and has postseason experience and more importantly, postseason SUCCESS!

Hmmm. Wow. Who do I want. :eek:

Injury proned guy who is a piece of garbage against every single team in a non contract year and good against the Yanks & Sox only in a contract year

vs

A guy a little older, a little cheaper, who is a very good #3 starter at this point, which is what we need, and has postseason experience and more importantly, postseason SUCCESS!

Hmmm. Wow. Who do I want. :eek:

You don't really think Derek Lowe would be a #3 in the American League, do you? The guy would be the worst pitcher on the staff by far. His last 2 seasons in the American League were horrible. Hell, I would choose Ben Sheets, whose injury problems are far worse then Burnett over a guy like Lowe.

Why the hell do we want these old guys, on the wrong side of 30? If you were looking for a guy on the wrong side of his 30's, then look at Manny, no one else is worth it at that age.

Does that mean he's a more productive Nuge?

Ben Sheets is Carl Pavano Deja Vu...

Archived