YANKS to go after MANNY, TEIXEIRA

NIGHT STALKER

By GEORGE A. KING III

December 14, 2008

NY POST

According to several baseball officials, the New York Yankees remain in the Mark Teixeira hunt.

But the same connected voices insist if the Yankees don't land the switch-hitting first baseman, they will turn their money toward controversial slugger Manny Ramirez.

"If they can't get Teixeira, they are right there on Manny," an official with knowledge of the Yankees' plan said yesterday.

The attention being paid to bolster the lineup that lost Bobby Abreu and Jason Giambi doesn't mean the Yankees are out of the pitching business.

They remain engaged with Andy Pettitte, Derek Lowe and Ben Sheets.

Eventually, the Yankees believe Pettitte will take their $10 million offer.

Only fools count out the Yankees when it comes to free agents.

Nevertheless, Teixeira has eight-year offers for $160 million from the Angels and Nationals.

The Red Sox are wary of eight years but aren't shy of six for $150. Having already spent $243.5 million for CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, the Yankees may not want to go that high (or for that many years) for Teixeira.

If they pass on Teixeira, the Yankees will try and bolster a sagging lineup with Ramirez, one of the greatest run producers in baseball history.

And to clear some money, they might entertain offers for outfielder Xavier Nady, who made $3.35 million last year, is arbitration eligible and a free agent after the 2009 season.

"Hank (Steinbrenner) wants him, but he isn't alone in the organization," a source said of Ramirez. "They need somebody to protect Alex (Rodriguez)."

The Yankees are likely to offer Ramirez, 37 in May, a three-year deal in the $20 million range, though agent Scott Boras reportedly is seeking a five-year deal for the future Hall of Fame lock.

Because the signings of Sabathia (seven years for $161 million) and Burnett (five years for $82.5 million) leave $48.5 million of the $88 million that came off the Yankees' payroll, there is plenty of glue left for more additions.

Ramirez carried the Dodgers into the playoffs with his bat, producing a .396 batting average, 17 homers and 53 RBIs for the Dodgers in 53 games after getting banished from Boston. Combined, he batted .332 with 37 homers and 121 RBIs.

Ramirez forced his way out of Boston with boorish behavior that included shoving 64-year-old traveling secretary Jack McCormick to the ground.

Another option would be to obtain right-handed hitting outfielder Jermaine Dye, 35 next month, from the White Sox.

"He's available, but they aren't going to give him away," said a source with knowledge of Chicago's plan to get younger

Dye has the Yankees among the six teams for which he can veto a trade, and it's not likely the Yankees would give him an extension (or pick up a $12 million option for 2010) to waive the no-trade clause.

I don't want that kind of drama.

Suicide squeeze play = drama fit for baseball.

Manny Ramirez = hopeless douchebag.

What would you rather do, win a World Series or be CONSERVATIVE and not make the playoffs?

Manny increases our chances of winning a world series, dude. Look what he singlehandedly did for the Dodgers last season?

Until he gets pissed off about something and stops playing. Or gets into a fight with a teammate. Or dogs it on defense...

We have a DH already. We have a right-hander who hits for power in the middle of the lineup. We don't need Manny.

Also, keep in mind that he "single-handedly" improved a team in a weak division in a weak league. He wouldn't have the same effect on the Yankees.

No thanks. I'll live without him. This team has pitching now, and THAT is what will make us competitive.

Could u imagine the boston faggots crying if we got both... lol... I know it's unlikely, I would love to have Tex on the team though.

Damon LF

Jeter SS

Manny DH

A-Rod 3B

Tex 1B

Posada C

Cano 2B

Nady RF

Gardner/Melky/Taveras CF (anybody but Cameron) (yes i prefer Melky over Cameron)

That would be the most deadly lineup ever, way better then any of our past lineups... lol

I doubt we get both, hell I dont know if we'll get either, I just really want Tex... lol

Until he gets pissed off about something and stops playing. Or gets into a fight with a teammate. Or dogs it on defense...

We have a DH already. We have a right-hander who hits for power in the middle of the lineup. We don't need Manny.

Also, keep in mind that he "single-handedly" improved a team in a weak division in a weak league. He wouldn't have the same effect on the Yankees.

No thanks. I'll live without him. This team has pitching now, and THAT is what will make us competitive.

Who the **** is our DH?

Could u imagine the boston faggots crying if we got both... lol... I know it's unlikely, I would love to have Tex on the team though.

Damon LF

Jeter SS

Manny DH

A-Rod 3B

Tex 1B

Posada C

Cano 2B

Nady RF

Gardner/Melky/Taveras CF (anybody but Cameron) (yes i prefer Melky over Cameron)

That would be the most deadly lineup ever, way better then any of our past lineups... lol

I doubt we get both, hell I dont know if we'll get either, I just really want Tex... lol

The WORLD SERIES IS A LOCK WITH A LINEUP LIKE THIS! And this doesnt even factor in the AWESOME pitching we have now.

Bronzey... if we sign Manny, I'd like to make a bet with you... money, sigs, avatars, whatever you want to do.

If we win the WS, you win. If we don't, I win.

I love good healthy competitions, so I accept your challenge sir.

We can do a sig/Avatar bet. Those seem to be the most popular bets around here.

Damon LF

Jeter SS

Manny DH

A-Rod 3B

Tex 1B

Posada C

Cano 2B

Nady RF

CF, Austin Jackson. Kid's a stud.

JCB- You think Manny would take a job where they'd want him to be the full-time DH? You're crazy if you do.

He would mix time with Jorge Posada, and if we really do get both, Matsui would have to be traded.

There would be times where Damon and his weak ass arm would be in CF, and Manny in LF as well.

LOL, okay. The Yankees are totally going to pay Matsui to sit on the bench.

Oh wait, I bet you think we can trade him, right? I bet those other teams are lining up...

I think we put the best players on the field. I'm sure if we payed some of his salary we could find a team for him.

Archived