Pitt-Baltimore

#27TheDominator

I actually thought it should have been a TD. I never this whole "establishing" control. The ball broke the plain when it hit his hands and his feet were on the ground. IMO it should be a TD.

Great game though, I love those defensive games. Great drive by Ben to win it at the end. Where's 124 at?

I actually thought it should have been a TD. I never this whole "establishing" control. The ball broke the plain when it hit his hands and his feet were on the ground. IMO it should be a TD.

Great game though, I love those defensive games. Great drive by Ben to win it at the end. Where's 124 at?

I don't really believe the ball crossed the plane. You don't like establishing control, but that's the rule. The question is: Why did the ****ing ******* ref say "both feet in the end zone" as if it makes the slightest ****ing difference? IF they thought the ball crossed the plane why didn't they say so?

I agree. It looks good.

It would have been awesome if it was short to see what Tomlin would do.

I don't think it was fixed, I think they're just inept. It has to be good for the league for the Jets to win, but they don't fix our games.

I thought it was where the ball was too.

Hell of a game though. It was like a playoff game. The Steelers offense got a lot better, it was unwatchable earlier in this season. I think they should just have Steelers games towards the end of the year, they are awful to watch in the first half of the season.

I've always said that if my team is close in the 4th i'm completely comfortable with the ball in Ben's hands!

It's definately a debatable call though.

But WOOHOO AFCN CHAMPS!! Next week we battle the Titans for the #1 seed too (i think the #1 seed is a jinx though). ;)

But i wanna finally say this without pure fear of jinxing them.............

THIS year's Steeler D is about as good a Steeler D as i've EVER seen!

I've always said that if my team is close in the 4th i'm completely comfortable with the ball in Ben's hands!

But WOOHOO AFCN CHAMPS!! Next week we battle the Titans for the #1 seed too (i think the #1 seed is a jinx though). ;)

Very beatable

The Ravens got shafted by the REFS.

Why would you guys be bitching? Ravens loss helps the Jets.

Who cares? If the Jets can't win their way in, I don't care. I don't care who won the game. Truth be told I was rooting for the Steelers, but I still think it was a bull**** overturn. I don't see how they can claim anything conclusive from those replays. Even worse, the explanation was completely wrong. Doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Congrats to you Stillerpaul- those two teams show you what good defenses are-unlike our Jets defense.

Thanks buddy! As i said earlier in the week, just look at the great players on both those D's and ya get a sense of why these games are always bloodbaths. This was definately a defensive game.

I'm thoroughly enjoying football these days! Hope it keeps up!

Wow, anyone who actually thinks that call was wrong is out of there minds. I couldn't believe they got it wrong before the review.

If 2 feet are in the endzone its a TD, no matter where the ball is. How often is the ball out of bounds and 2 feet in bounds? Whats the difference here?

All I am going to say is that this line got moved to Pitt +3 today. I was shocked by that and jumped on it. Very happy about the decision the refs made at the end of the game.

:)

It was the right call. It DID break the plane of the goal line though barely.

That may or may not be true. Either way, Steelers defense was put in bad field position time after time after time yet only yielded 3 FG's. Defense wins championships and we have the best one in the game right now IMO.

I'm NOT arguing with that Paul. :biggrin:

Wow, anyone who actually thinks that call was wrong is out of there minds. I couldn't believe they got it wrong before the review.

If 2 feet are in the endzone its a TD, no matter where the ball is. How often is the ball out of bounds and 2 feet in bounds? Whats the difference here?

I believe you are incorrect. The ball MUST cross the goal line. Feet don't mean squat down at the goal line.

I believe you are incorrect. The ball MUST cross the goal line. Feet don't mean squat down at the goal line.

Nope, all the ball has to do is break the plane as if the goal line was a sheet of glass.

31. Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent

We may be out of our minds, but you are dead wrong. See PatReign's post below. The goalline is a line that stretches across the field and around the world, so as long as part of the ball gets past the pylon it's a TD even if the ball is out of bounds. I don't like that rule either. I think the endzone should be a rectangle and the ball should have to pass over the top of some portion. I don't like the rule, but I understand it.

Nope, all the ball has to do is break the plane as if the goal line was a sheet of glass.

31. Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

NFL Digest of Rules

We may be out of our minds, but you are dead wrong. See PatReign's post below. The goalline is a line that stretches across the field and around the world, so as long as part of the ball gets past the pylon it's a TD even if the ball is out of bounds. I don't like that rule either. I think the endzone should be a rectangle and the ball should have to pass over the top of some portion. I don't like the rule, but I understand it.

Nah you are wrong. That rule was changed either this year or last, now you have to actually get the ball over the goal line, ie, past the pylon, for it to count. It does not stretch around the world.

Note however that the chalk counts as the goal line. If any part of the ball even touches that line, not actually the endzone itself with the team colors, it's a TD.

But, the refs were actually right on this according to my research, on a reception, the rule is if the feet are in it is a TD, and where the ball is doesn't count.

Personally I think this is stupid and the rule should always be where the ball is. But it's a stupid esoteric receiving rule and the zebras actually got it right.

Nah you are wrong. That rule was changed either this year or last, now you have to actually get the ball over the goal line, ie, past the pylon, for it to count. It does not stretch around the world.

Note however that the chalk counts as the goal line. If any part of the ball even touches that line, not actually the endzone itself with the team colors, it's a TD.

But, the refs were actually right on this according to my research, on a reception, the rule is if the feet are in it is a TD, and where the ball is doesn't count.

Personally I think this is stupid and the rule should always be where the ball is. But it's a stupid esoteric receiving rule and the zebras actually got it right.

What research? I haven't heard this and they have been reporting on it ad nauseum. According to Harbaugh, he asked and the ref specifically told him that the ball had to cross the plane.

Per Walt Coleman:

(On why it was ruled a touchdown)

“You have to have two feet down to complete the catch. He had two feet down and completed the catch with control of the ball breaking the plane of the goal line.”

(On if the ball broke the plane)

“Yeah, the ball was breaking the plane. He had two feet down. When he gained control of the ball, the ball was breaking the plane and then he fell into the field of play. But to have a touchdown, all you have to have is a catch, which is the two feet down, possession and control of the ball breaking the plane.”

(On why was the original call was not ruled a touchdown)

“[Head linesman Paul Weidner] felt like when the receiver gained possession of the ball, the ball was not breaking the plane of the goal line.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2008/12/referee-walt-coleman-explains-santonio-holmes-touchdown-review-reversal/ Quoting from the press conference.

What research? I haven't heard this and they have been reporting on it ad nauseum. According to Harbaugh, he asked and the ref specifically told him that the ball had to cross the plane.

Per Walt Coleman:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2008/12/referee-walt-coleman-explains-santonio-holmes-touchdown-review-reversal/ Quoting from the press conference.

There are some other places I check and people I ask, and everything points to what I told you. You can search through the rule book if you want, or you can wait for it to all get sorted out. I'm fairly sure my sources are right though.

I'm even more certain on the goal line thing. It simply does not go around the world. Whoever told you that is using statutes that are several years old and should be sued for malpractice.

There are some other places I check and people I ask, and everything points to what I told you. You can search through the rule book if you want, or you can wait for it to all get sorted out. I'm fairly sure my sources are right though.

I'm even more certain on the goal line thing. It simply does not go around the world. Whoever told you that is using statutes that are several years old and should be sued for malpractice.

I'm pretty much almost 100% positive your "sources" are wrong. I just quoted the official that made the call. The ball has to cross the plane. Pretty sure he's as reliable as people you ask and places you check. As for the rule book, didn't Patsreign already post it?

As for the goalline not going around the world, that is personal memory. The rule change you are talking about was from last year and only applies to an "airborne runner" so may well not apply to a runner that gets both feet down in bounds but has the ball carried outside the pylon. If they are going to call it that way I'd welcome it, but I was responding to the post which claimed the ball didn't have to cross the plane because TDs were called when the ball was out of bounds. That's the way the rule was for years and that's why it was called that way. The rule change contradicts your sources explanation of the Steeler "td".

They really can't make the end zone a box because then they'd have difficulty with the fade or back end zone catch where the ball is hanging out of bounds, but the receiver has both feet in. In fact, I think that's what "your sources" are talking about. I'm guessing that if both feet are down in the end zone the ball doesn't have to be in bounds as long as it crossed the plane. They probably call it so that the ball OR the body have to be in bounds.

Here is Ed Hocculi (everybody's favorite ref) on the rule change:

Excellent explanation, Jason. You are absolutely correct. The NFL rule was changed this year, so the Warrick Dunn play referenced would no longer be a TD because the ball did not pass over the top of or inside, and no part of the player touched in the end zone. But under the current rule, a player in possession of the ball gets a TD at the goal line pylon by either touching some part of his body in the EZ after the ball has broken the goal line plane extended, or by getting the ball over the top of, or inside, the goal line pylon.

d

http://www.east-coast-bias.com/2007/10/plane-of-goal-line.html

PS: Dude, you suck making me look this stuff up. Not as bad as the guy that made me listen to Dierdorf clips but pretty bad! Slow days at work are bad for this kind of thing.

Archived