**BREAKING NEWS!!**-Teixiera to YANKEES!!!!!!!!

Vudu

Free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira has reached agreement with the New York Yankees on an eight-year contract worth more than $170 million, a source involved in the negotiations tells ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Yankees swooped in on Teixeira on Tuesday when it was believed the Boston Red Sox or the Washington Nationals were the likeliest of his future employer. The Red Sox's offer was believed to be in the range of $170 million, and the Nationals reached out with an offer perhaps greater than that of Boston.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Steinbrenner bravado is back, people. Totally screws the Red Sox - and you KNOW that Texeira was their most coveted player. Lyin' Larry must be pissed.

You can be fairly positive that Scott Boras went back and gave the Red Sox the option of topping the Yanks bid.

He is not one to let negotiating leverage go, until someone says "no".

You can be fairly positive that Scott Boras went back and gave the Red Sox the option of topping the Yanks bid.

No, you can rest assured the Yanks told him take it or leave it. Right now in this office, no bull****, no trying to top it... this is it.

That Steinbrenner bravado is back, people. Totally screws the Red Sox - and you KNOW that Texeira was their most coveted player. Lyin' Larry must be pissed.

I have to agree, but honestly I thought (and still think) Manny would have been move damaging to the Sox. I'd rather be pitching to Jeter-Arod-Tex than Jeter-Arod-Manny. But I thought the Eric Gag-me deal summer before last was great, so what do I know? :P

Bottom Line:

Yankees got the player the Red Sox wanted. End of story.

Sox were not going to go over 180 - Yankees must have gone 190 or something. Sox got cash - but not Yankee cash. Don't be suprised if they sign Manny too. Freakin' lethal!

Bottom Line:

Sox were not going to go over 180 - Yankees must have gone 190 or something. Sox got cash - but not Yankee cash. Don't be suprised if they sign Manny too. Freakin' lethal!

ESPNNEWS said the deal was 170-175.

Bottom Line:

You are making it sound like the Red Sox did not have an opportunbity to make a better deal.

I don't know, you don't know.

Eff that!

Yankees need to give him a 3 yr deal STAT! Even with this deal the Yanklees are still under the Payroll from last year.

I hope they get Manny too... He is a fantastic hitter that will improve JEter and Arods #s as well.. :thumbup:

Interesting....then the reports of 180 were false. Wonder how many years and what options? Whatever.....as long at john Henry, Theo Epstein and 'Lyin Larry are unhappy for the Holidays, I'm cool. :)

8 years 170-175 Million with a full NO TRADE CLAUSE.

Interesting....then the reports of 180 were false. Wonder how many years and what options? Whatever.....as long at john Henry, Theo Epstein and 'Lyin Larry are unhappy for the Holidays, I'm cool. :)

I heard there was a no trade involved and it is between 170-180.

Count on Boras to trump the number up.

This kinda leaves Manny in limbo, as the Angels have said "no"

Wow. Did not see this coming. As someone said here before, even better move because the Sox can't counter it. Not with NESN's Manny "documentary" coming up. ;)

I don't like the years so much, and I think this is going to haunt them at the end like Giambi, but no time to think that far down the road.

I heard there was a no trade involved and it is between 170-180.

Count on Boras to trump the number up.

This kinda leaves Manny in limbo, as the Angels have said "no"

Don't be suprisedto see Manny in pinstripes too.

You know who is REALLY happy right now? ARod. LOL!

He's not as good of a player as Giambi was before that contract, and the Yankees just gave Teixeira more years...

I don't know. Good for the short term, but I think they'll be regretting this the last 2-3 years.

Giambi was coming off an MVP season. Teixiera hasn't sniffed that award.

Great player, just not top echeclon. His defense definitely helps.

Archived