Some draftpick cuts the Jets should look at? Practice squad?

R44

Lot of names are trickling out with the cuts, just felt like starting a thread on 4 of the more suprising cuts.

1) Ben Emmanuel--safety, UCLA (5th round Carolina)...A lot draft sites had this player real high last spring because of his great "computer numbers", but we didn't like him at DD as much because he his stats seemed to slip every season at UCLA--a real bad sign.

Nonetheless, has better size and speed than current Jets backups Fransico and Bigby, so he should be strongly considered.

2) Jared Newberry--Linebacker, Stanford (5th round, Washington)....Some considered him a Day 1 pick after the Senior Bowl, but he slipped....Good athlete, but bad sign when you're a draft pick and get cut over a free agent rookie from Princeton (Zak Keasey). That may be a stern hint that he should get a "real job".

Jets, should consider him, but we aren't big fans of Stanford LB's.

3)David Bergeron--Linebacker Stanford (6th round, Philadelphia)....We think he's better than Newberry and had a much tougher lineup to crack in Philly...But, overall, not a special player.

Jets should give him a glance, due to his size and toughness, but isn't a special talent, by any means--practice squad/ NFL Europe material in the short term.

4) Rob Hunt--center/guard, North Dakota (5th round Indianapolis)...Big, burley lineman with talent. Got stuck in a tough situation in Indy (good line depth) and needs some time, considering the low level he played at in college.

Like Emmanuel, I'd recommend the Jets look closely. But he has already gotten offers for guaranteed practice squad spots and won't leave Indy unless it's to play on another teams 53 man roster.

5) Dante Ridgeway-- Wide receiver, Ball State (6th round Rams)....Record breaking college WR, who lacks size and top speed. Should have never left college early--Bill Polian, who runs the Combine, informed him via Indiana papers, he should stay in school. Had almost no shot to crack the Rams top 5 receivers from the start.

Definitely worth a look from the Jets, but he probably has less "potential" than speedy small-schooler Harry Williams. Ridgeway is another practice squad/NFL Europe type.

6) Maurice Clarett--Running Back, Ohio State (3rd round Denver)......Not much to say here, other than Denver coach Mike Shannahan, in a classy way, apolagized to fans for wasting a 3rd round pick on him....I think Clarett's done. No need for the Jets to even consider him.

7) Dustin Fox--Cornerback/safety (3rd round Minnesota)...Fox was NOT cut, but placed on the season ending injured reserve list for an injury that should be healed fairly soon....Fox, as do all NFL players, has the right to demand his release from the Vikings and could jump to another a team and play this season...That would be the smart thing to do, but few young players have the stomach to demand their release and instead take a "redshirt" season, while able to play.

Nice stuff. I saw this on the main screen here. I do like Emmanuel. I wonder if Terry will look at him. I think the Jets FO will primarily look at offensive linemen. Hunt sounds like an interesting prospect, but is he ant better then the Mike Kings, and others, we have here already?

Tough question. But we are lacking depth here.

FYI

AP AP reports the Cincinnati Bengals have claimed rookie WR Dante Ridgeway off waivers from the St. Louis Rams. The move came a day after the club released former No. 1 draft pick WR Peter Warrick, a receiver who had played in only one preseason game because of injuries. Ridgeway was the Rams' sixth-round draft pick out of Ball State in April. He played in two preseason games and had one catch for 19 years. Ridgeway set numerous school receiving records at Ball State. To open a roster spot, the Bengals waived OT Benton Johnson, a second-year player from Mississippi who missed all of last season with a torn thigh muscle.

Thanks men, much appreciated...

Bit, you are right, Ridgeway was picked up by Cincy, but will he stick or is a shrewd Marvin Lewis trying to bring him back to Ohio to be on the Bengals practice squad?

Bengals will start Chad Johnson and T.J Hosmanzadah (sp?).....After that, former NY Giants draft pick Kevin Walter seems to have upset the pack for the 3rd job, doing his Drew Bennett impersonation this pre-season (Bengals fans better hope he doesn't turn into Danny Farmer once the season starts)...Then you got Chris Henry, troubled but very gifted West Virginia player (he's been fine off the field for Cincy) and Kelly Washington...another in the long line of overrated Tennessee wideouts.

Fo_Block thanks.....I think we do well because we don't pretend to be scouts and take in a lot of info from scouts and coaches around the U.S....

We're fans and watch games, but we don't "breakdown film" like other sites claim....Why would we? Speaking for myself, I'm not qualified to do that.

However, I think we are qualified to gather and retain info on players....and when April rolled, we were much more prepared than your average beat writer-- i.e Cannizaro :lol:

By the way, if beat writers (i.e Cannizaro) claim to get inside info on the draft, it's all B.S---No team in the NFL ever divulges their true draft plans to the media--never!

MBN, thanks. I think Hunt is real good and better than King....But he's from such a small school, it will take time...He was very widely regarded by true NFL scouts--hence he was drafted from North Dakota.

Seems like he destined for a practice squad--be that as it may, he'll likely stay in Indy.

MBN, thanks. I think Hunt is real good and better than King....But he's from such a small school, it will take time...He was very widely regarded by true NFL scouts--hence he was drafted from North Dakota.

Seems like he destined for a practice squad--be that as it may, he'll likely stay in Indy.

JMO Hunt may be better than King right now but King has a much better upside. Hunt gets by using tricks and leverage, King is a flat out athlete, who if he learns the technique could be starter quality or more.

JMO Hunt may be better than King right now but King has a much better upside. Hunt gets by using tricks and leverage, King is a flat out athlete, who if he learns the technique could be starter quality or more.

You can't read too much into a 40 time....King is a great athlete for his size, but most O-Line battles are won by strength, toughness, attitude and technique.....so we'll see.

I think, if I'm not mistaken, didn't we bump up Hunt after a great 40 time at the last combine? So he's not exactly David Yavonivits :lol:

when I saw Hunt in one of the all-star games he never really overpowered anyone. He did good, very effective don't get me wrong - but he used leverage and tricks for example the old "let the guy bowl me over and pull him down as he does it" trick. He seemed to wall off blockers rather than drive them forward or out of the hole.

In fairness these things surfaced in the 4th quarter, and Hunt actually played all 4 quarters (the only OL to do so in the exhibition). He played alot and maybe he getting tired.

Granted I haven't seen alot of Mike King when he was with Northwestern St but as a 3rd stringer with the Jets he has been in the mix and I gotta say looks good. His technique is raw but his athletic ability is unmistakable.

Put it another way if King had Hunt's brain he'd be a starter right now. He's got great physical skills but lacks experience and saavy. He explodes into people doesn't just lean on em, that's something you either have or you don't.

I don't mind if the Jets stow him on the PS but if they cut him outright in favor of waste of space Jason Nerys that will be stupid.

when I saw Hunt in one of the all-star games he never really overpowered anyone. He did good, very effective don't get me wrong - but he used leverage and tricks for example the old "let the guy bowl me over and pull him down as he does it" trick. He seemed to wall off blockers rather than drive them forward or out of the hole.

In fairness these things surfaced in the 4th quarter, and Hunt actually played all 4 quarters (the only OL to do so in the exhibition). He played alot and maybe he getting tired.

Granted I haven't seen alot of Mike King when he was with Northwestern St but as a 3rd stringer with the Jets he has been in the mix and I gotta say looks good. His technique is raw but his athletic ability is unmistakable.

Put it another way if King had Hunt's brain he'd be a starter right now. He's got great physical skills but lacks experience and saavy. He explodes into people doesn't just lean on em, that's something you either have or you don't.

I don't mind if the Jets stow him on the PS but if they cut him outright in favor of waste of space Jason Nerys that will be stupid.

Great reply Bro...Like it a lot, considering you're the O-Line expert.....I'm not sure what will happen with King or Nerys, but it's doubtful both hang around.

Now, if you find yourself in front of the TV tonight Matt, please keep an eye on South Carolina's Jabari Levy and Na'Shan Goddard-- their only 2 true prospects--both lineman.

Hopefully well have an indepth look at Levy soon, who considered leaving after 2004 :lol:

http://uscsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/levey_jabari00.html

i missed the SC game :(

but i just saw setterstrom and elsinger bust Moroney for a 73 yard scamper. :mrgreen:

I watched the Houston game for a while...They have a high caliber junior QB (Kevin Kolb), that will be in the NFL...It's just a matter of when he plays in the NFL and whether he starts...Oregon's top RB Terrance Whitehead, who gained over 1,000 yards in '04, looked slower than I thought he should be....But Oregon has a superstar freshman RB ready to pounce---we should drop Whithead, when we re-arrange the rankings.

I bounced over to ESPN (from ESPN 2) for short stretches and focused on USC'S line....The 2 South Carolina tackles looked terrible, when I watched....2 obscure, white DE's from UCF where just pounding them--had back to back sacks once I tuned in and the announcers said they were dominating the line of scrimmage.

Plus, Carolina 2 rushers only had like 11 yards on 9 rushing attempts :lol:

By the way, one of those 'obscure' DE's, perhaps, should be someone we monitor--he definitely looked the part of a possible Day 2 pick or free agent, due to his height and athletic ability--he looked unblockable at times last night.

http://ucfathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carrington_paul00.html

PS: Maroney kicks a$$, he's probably a slam dunk #1 pick if he jumps--better than Williams and Riggs?

Archived