Rigs' front page article....

Dustin Fox was a very under-rated player at Ohio State and if he does ask out the Jets should give him a look because I think he was the best player in the Ohio State secondary since Mike Doss. Guy is very under-rated and is going to be a starting corner in this league somewhere someday or a very good nickel back.

And with his 40 inch vertical jump, he can do this for you as well:

dustin-fox.jpg

faba, he is the nephew of former Patriots pro bowler Tim Fox and bother of Derek Fox (fringe NFL safety from PennState)....

He was, perhaps, the best high school DB in the nation coming out....Several NFL teams asked his brother for Derek for tape on him as high schooler.

Had a very good career at OSU, but was never a superstar....Started at CB for 3 seasons at OSU....Had the best stats among the DB's as a sophomore (season OSU won the Nat'l title) and as a junior.

In 2004, as a senior, he had a bunch of "nagging injuries", but still only missed a couple games.....

Section, his vertical leap at the combine was 45 inches, so he's off the charts in that aspect.

40 time is around 4.4 flat...timed in at 4.45 (or so) on the "slow" combine track.

Great athlete, who really belongs at CB, but it's tough, because teams seem scared to play white CB's outside and move them inside....as the Vikings did

It seems Tice and Cottrell have put their combined 80 IQ to work here, and are placing Fox on injured reserve with a non season-ending injury, so they can keep 12 year veteran CB Ken Irvin (one of Cottrell's favorites in Buff) as a backup safety..... :shock:

Thing is, Fox should be ready to play soon and could demand his release.....NFLPA won't allow teams to "shutdown" players for the season for no valid reason, so they give them the option to demand for their release.

Will he?

Players rarely ever have the guts to do this (especially rookies), but they can and sometimes it works out for the best.

If I were Fox, I'd do it....Minnesota, despite all the big money changes, is going nowhere (maybe they make the playoffs and lose quickly) until that teams coaching staff -- mostly Tice and Cottrell -- are sent packing out of town.

The guy's on injured reserve right now, though...

But, as we stated, he's on injured reserve for a broken arm, which occured about 4 weeks ago...

He should be healthy fairly soon and, by NFLPA bylaws, could ask for his release....

Here is what will go down: The Vikings will eventually need more help in the secondary and by week 3 (or so), they'll realize a perfectly healthy 3rd rounder is being forced to sit out the season because they wanted to squeeze one of Cotrell's favorites onto the roster....a player almost no other team would want :shock:

You know Mack, you're probably right, nothing will come of this, because few players have the guts to demand their release---although I think more should.

Personally, there is no way I'd sit out a whole season, knowing full well I'm healthy enough to play at some point during the season.

Few examples:

Jets were able to get kick-returner Michael Bates this way a few seasons ago (although he was like 35 at the time)....

Dexter Jackson forced Arizona to cut him from the IR list last season, so he could go back to Tampa...great move, he now starts again.

Matt Bowen forced the Rams to cut him from IR list, then he went to GB and did well, which led to a monster contract in Washington.....another great move.

Thanks SEC124.....He can jump, that's for sure.

TS, he wasn't beat much, until his senior season--when he was hampered by injuries. No doubt you're correct, nickle CB has to be his role early--he's not ready to play full time CB (and may never).

But here's the deal: If I'm his agent (Neil Cornich), I wait this out a few weeks (until other teams get injuries) and then demand the Vikings release him from IR. No way I let this kid miss a whole season for an injury that is healed. And he'd get picked up in a second by San Fransico or Miami (have the top waiver claims throughout Sept.)

He was competeing for the Vikings #3 safety job, but injured on August 1st. and expected to miss 4 to 6 weeks, which meant he's scheduled back for the Sept. 11th opener.....(He also only missed 3 weeks with same at OSU in 2004).

http://vikings.scout.com/2/418195.html

We all know how Cottrell loves these older former Bills, he probably figured "F' Fox", I'll stash him on IR and give washed-up CB/friend Ken Irvin an 11th season as a backup safety....

But Fox' agent has to the right to fight back here and not let the Vikings do this---How do think the Vikings will feel if their rounder leaves in order to keep a 33 year old backup with no future? :lol:

P.S: Neil Cornich is very well noted as an agent for NFL GM's and coaches....so maybe a GM will urge him "off the record" to ask for his release?

First the Nuge, now maybe Dustin Fox? Ya gotta love it. :lol:

I am the only the who thinks if Dustin Fox wasnt a white dude he would have been a higher draft pick? :lol:

Eric Barton

There is a definite bias that starts in high school- a white guy can not play CB- too slow- unfortunately stereotypes exist in all sectors of society

Eric Barton

There is a definite bias that starts in high school- a white guy can not play CB- too slow- unfortunately stereotypes exist in all sectors of society

pssst. I am going to play varsity next season at CORNERBACK. I'll let everybody know how it works out. I'll be running a daily diary through my sig. :lol:

Day 1: Coach asks me to give the players fresh towells and make sure the cups are always filled with clean gatorade.

Archived