Was Mangini fired too hastily?

sirlancemehlot

Now that we've all settled down a (little), and the late season slide is less fesh on our minds--I have to ask: Was EM the victim of the pissed-off nature of the Jets and their fanbase? Mangini took a down-and-out squad and produced two winning seasons out of three. During the peak of this year's season, he had the team clicking on all cylinders. Then Brett started throwing badly. Jenkins got nicked up. Momentum slowed then reversed--and we all (myself included) started calling for Mangini's head. Maybe this was unfair. Maybe it was well-earned. But now we've got a defense that he structured, another HC change to deal with, and I'm not certain we're any better off. Woody's knee-jerk reaction may have hindered us in the coming seasons. I'm starting to wonder--though I wanted his head a few weeks ago--are we all just too angry and frustrated as fans to give any coach or player a fair shake?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that we've all settled down a (little), and the late season slide is less fesh on our minds--I have to ask: Was EM the victim of the pissed-off nature of the Jets and their fanbase? Mangini took a down-and-out squad and produced two winning seasons out of three. During the peak of this year's season, he had the team clicking on all cylinders. Then Brett started throwing badly. Jenkins got nicked up. Momentum slowed then reversed--and we all (myself included) started calling for Mangini's head. Maybe this was unfair. Maybe it was well-earned. But now we've got a defense that he structured, another HC change to deal with, and I'm not certain we're any better off. Woody's knee-jerk reaction may have hindered us in the coming seasons. I'm starting to wonder--though I wanted his head a few weeks ago--are we all just too angry and frustrated as fans to give any coach or player a fair shake?

jets acting hastly?

heard of no such thing :D

The answer to that question is yes. Doesn't mean that Mangini was fired too hastily though.

I believe he was fired too hastily. He was a young coach who was improving with time. The handling of the Chris Baker situation v. Kendall the year before is a good example. The team did look great until Favre started playing very poorly and that is not coaching. Mangini couldn't throw the ball for him. He was building a program and a culture that was very different from the Jets' culture except for the Parcells years. The Jets played hard, they were prepared, and he emphasized getting smart team guys like the Patriots. Noone expected him to win a super bowl in the first three years anyway, and he still hadn't found his long term franchise QB. My greatest fear is that he will now build a consistent winning program in Cleveland and eventually win a championship that should be ours. Rex Ryan doesn't strike me as the disciplined, long term solution, and my fear with him is that he will be like his father, a defensive minded coach that neglects the offense and antagonizes management. I watched Buddy in Philly for his tenure there and he made things exciting but never won a playoff game. Obviously only time will tell, but these are my gut feelings.

i would have fired EM after Hawk game..that is when season was ovah!

EM is still a young coach. Do you not think there was room for improvement? Do you think he hit his coaching ceiling at the age of 37? Had he also not shown us flashes of coaching brilliance (2006, Titans game)? Sure he had his faults but find me a coach that doesn't?

You're an old man, have you been the same person your whole life? Have you never changed/grown professionally?

I actually started a thread a week after EM was fired "The truth is Mangini should have been given another year." And right now it's looking more and more like that should have been the case.

The Jets are about to lose 2 coaches that they hired so that they could develop and Woody Johnson lost his nerve and acting on emotion and on fan sentiment. If you had given EM another season then he would have at least been given a fair shake and if it didn't work out he gets fired and the Jets can look at the HOF coaches who will be available next off-season.

Instead we're going to hire a guy who is made to look way better than he probably he is because of the enormous amount of talent he has playing for him. Talent that has already produced 2 busted HC's. I don't know how Rex Ryan is a better option. He ends up being the best available but that doesn't mean he's a great fit. In all honesty I'd rather have Lil' Shotty back. I'll say this right now, I guarantee that either Mangini or Shotty Jr ends up being a better HC than Rex Ryan.

EM is still a young coach. Do you not think there was room for improvement? Do you think he hit his coaching ceiling at the age of 37? Had he also not shown us flashes of coaching brilliance (2006, Titans game)? Sure he had his faults but find me a coach that doesn't?

You're an old man, have you been the same person your whole life? Have you never changed/grown professionally?

I actually started a thread a week after EM was fired "The truth is Mangini should have been given another year." And right now it's looking more and more like that should have been the case.

The Jets are about to lose 2 coaches that they hired so that they could develop and Woody Johnson lost his nerve and acting on emotion and on fan sentiment. If you had given EM another season then he would have at least been given a fair shake and if it didn't work out he gets fired and the Jets can look at the HOF coaches who will be available next off-season.

Instead we're going to hire a guy who is made to look way better than he probably he is because of the enormous amount of talent he has playing for him. Talent that has already produced 2 busted HC's. I don't know how Rex Ryan is a better option. He ends up being the best available but that doesn't mean he's a great fit. In all honesty I'd rather have Lil' Shotty back. I'll say this right now, I guarantee that either Mangini or Shotty Jr ends up being a better HC than Rex Ryan.

The only comments that were accurate was stating that I'm an ole man

EM was gawd awful last year and ruined this season..no hope for him IMO

Cleve will suck next 3 years and can his arse

I do not think it was too hasty because I truly believe he lost the locker room. EM was learning on the job and with this many veterans it became a problem. I too have some concerns about Ryan and really think the Jets should have at least interviewed some proven, successful NFL coaches.

The only comments that were accurate was stating that I'm an ole man

EM was gawd awful last year and ruined this season..no hope for him IMO

Cleve will suck next 3 years and can his arse

God awful but still had a winning record. Just imagine if he cleaned up his errors. I don't understand how you think a man can't learn from his mistakes. What were his biggest problems? In game adjustments is what I'd probably say. That is probably one of the hardest aspects of coaching IMO. That stuff comes with time.

To cut him loose after 3 years was too soon. He should have had a 4th year to attain Rob Ryan and prove that he can be the coach we all wanted him to be.

Either Woody should have never hired him or had the sack to stick with him through a tough time like this. The owner of the NY Jets is the organizations biggest problem.

God awful but still had a winning record. Just imagine if he cleaned up his errors. I don't understand how you think a man can't learn from his mistakes. What were his biggest problems? In game adjustments is what I'd probably say. That is probably one of the hardest aspects of coaching IMO. That stuff comes with time.

To cut him loose after 3 years was too soon. He should have had a 4th year to attain Rob Ryan and prove that he can be the coach we all wanted him to be.

Either Woody should have never hired him or had the sack to stick with him through a tough time like this. The owner of the NY Jets is the organizations biggest problem.

he picked his staff, sutton should have been fired b4 this year

EM will never be a good coach

They did the right thing in firing Mangini, whether or not they did it for the right reason. Just like QBs, we give HCs too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing. Forget the excuses, positive and negative. Look at the man himself. He simply will never be a very good HC because he lacks the Xs and Os knowledge that every great coach starts with. To be a great HC you have to have organization skills, talent evaluation ability, leadership, etc - all things that Mangini may or may not have to some degree. But he lacked the football knowledge foundation that all of the great ones had. Whether they were known for their defensive or offensive knowledge, ultimately you have to know both sides to be a "genius" at one. It is called Xs and Os, not Xs or Os. Mangini as a "defensive" guy was a fraud. His one year at DC, the NE defense played their worst, with basically the same talent that was there before and after that one year. And Belichick took over the defense later in the year. That kind of says it all.

Yeah, Favre hurt his arm and started playing bad. Jenkins hurt his hip and slowed down. You think these 4 teams remaining didn't face adversity? And what does Favre have to do with Leon getting one carry in a game or the obviously struggling Favre continiually throwing on 3rd and 1? What does Jenkins have to do with a defense that was getting a great pass rush for 11 weeks from blitzing its OLBers to suddenly playing them in almost constant pass coverage the last five games?

No, Mangini had to go. His incompetance will be demonstrated in Cleveland just like Herm's was in KC. Time to get back to basics. Back to Xs and Os.

a friend of mine texted me he would have fired mangini on the field after seattle and made him pay for his own flight home

remember that game ?

I was calling for it!!!

the SF game also sucked

and the raidahs game

and the 2nd JIlls game

and the Broncos game

and the Chefs game

Mangini was definitely fired a bit hastily. The team obviously hadn't done it's homework on other candidates at all. They were looking for a scapegoat and threw him under the bus. Was it the right decision? Let's see in three years, when, knowing our history, we'll be looking for another head coach.

Whether or not he was fired hastily, the reality is that NFL coaches usually do not recover from collapses like that. The players lose faith in the coach (even if it's the players' fault) and the following year is awful.

This is why Gruden got the ax in Tampa.

I can't say I'm sorry to see EM go. The lack of adjustments, the total lack of passion, the mindless dedication to a game plan, all are things I won't miss.

Now if we could only get rid of Schottenheimer too.

They fired him after 3 years, not 1 year. If 2008 was his first season then yes, it would have been a hasty decision. But it wasn't.

In my mind it was over after pathetic raider game...had a feeling wheels

flew off at that point and there was no coming back

I thought the specific way they fired him-a 2:45AM announcement of a 10AM press conference at which Mangini would not be present-was a little overhasty. Obviously they didn't give Mangini any chance after the Miami game was over. The guy gave you winninng records two out of three seasons, can't you give him a day or two to decide for sure?

But overall I think they reached the right decision. The team was not playing hard for him at the end, there's no QB we feel sure about after Favre, who might not even be back. You expect a team to be further along than this it's third year. So I support the decision, despite it's being made in haste.

He was fired because of his inability to implement winning strategies on both sides of the football. That's grounds and he was sh1tcanned - not a second too soon - f'k him.

A major component of his persona that has kept him from being successful is his unwarranted big ego. Playing chickensheet D with huge cushions and consistantly sending a 3 man rush because "hearing the band play" if the opposition were to score on a big gainer was more than his fragile ego could handle. That or he just has no sack whatsoever. Doesn't matter which - it wasn't changing for the better. It was getting worse and I don't want to live through the life changing experience it would have taken to convince him the only thing he has in common with Belli is his fraternity chapter.

I'm currently in Cleveland visiting my Dad and the only thing I hear anybody saying around here is "why did we have to jump on our 3rd choice right away after our first 2 choices declined"? "What has Mangini done thats so great"? I decline comment.

Being picked up so quickly by another team is the absolute worst thing that ever happened to The Mageen - it reinforces in his mind that there's value to his strategies. As we found out the hard way - there isn't.

No, the Jets didn't act too hestily.

The man was 23-26 for his career, regular season and playoffs. He also presided over the worst collapse in franchise history, much of it was caused by his own in-game decisions and game plans.

This 2 out of 3 seasons argument is total BS. 2008 proved that 2006 was an aberration. Mangini had only 1 good 8 game stretch in his career where his team went 7-1. In the other 41 games, Mangini was 16-25.

Mangini was a bad HC. He regressed as a HC since 2006, was unable or unwilling to make adjustments, has a passive philosphy, and is too stubborn to improve.

And this "down and out squad" argument is also total BS.

The 2005 Jets lost 12 players to IR, 7 were starters. The Jets in 2006 were completely healthy and Chad played a full season. Mangini followed that with a 4-12 season with a completely healthy roster, something that was not the case in 2005.

He lost the locker room, that is enough grounds to fire. He learned a lot while here and will get better in Cleveland.

Why do you think he'll get better?

Serious question.

Mangini is extremely stubborn and the Cleveland Browns just rewarded him for the job he has already done. It's similar to what the Chiefs did with Herm.

Mangini has no incentive to get better with the Browns telling him what he already has done is good enough.

In my mind it was over after pathetic raider game...had a feeling wheels

flew off at that point and there was no coming back

Yep, no coming back. There is no way they could win five straight after that. It would be impossible after that to become the hottest team in football and beat the Pats and undefeated Titans on the road. No coming back indeed.

He lost the locker room, that is enough grounds to fire. He learned a lot while here and will get better in Cleveland.

We don't know that he "lost the locker room" but if he did there is no way to bring him back. If not it's 50-50 about whether they should bring him back, but it does seem that it could have been handled better when there was no coaching hire imminent. It seemed like they had to lock Cowher up quick, but obviously that's not the case.

Yes, Brett Favre was the problem, not Mangini. Mangini could have done a better job but Favre and Sutton were the ones that sunk this ship.

Mangini was definitely fired a bit hastily. The team obviously hadn't done it's homework on other candidates at all. They were looking for a scapegoat and threw him under the bus. Was it the right decision? Let's see in three years, when, knowing our history, we'll be looking for another head coach.

I agree. I would have given EM the 4th season of his contract. I think the Jets gambled that Cowher would be available and when he wasn't they didn't even have a plan B.

Yes, Brett Favre was the problem, not Mangini. Mangini could have done a better job but Favre and Sutton were the ones that sunk this ship.

I don't think it's any secret that Mangini never wanted Favre and was set to go into the season with Penny at the helm. It would have been interesting to see what the Jets would have done this year woth Chad. 11-5 ? 5-11 ? We'll never know. ::GoJets:

I agree. I would have given EM the 4th season of his contract. I think the Jets gambled that Cowher would be available and when he wasn't they didn't even have a plan B.

mangini=mike shula

Never ever going to work!!

Rex is the guy and we know billick/harbaugh wasn't helping him with Def

gameplans.

Sooner the better. Do not think woody gave cowher a credible offer

$10M per would have gotten it done

First of all, the fans had nothing to do with it.

Second of all, when your starting QB throws 7 INT's and 2 TD's in his last 3 starts, you're not going to win too many championships. Of course, the defense did nothing to distinguish themselves, neither.

I think the guy had a few bad things aligning to conspire against him this year, but at the same time he did nothing to try to save himself. I think either way, he was F'd. He could have benched Favre but by then it was too late.

Do I think he will do good in Cleveland? Does anybody?

Alas, water under the bridge. Where do we go now? Nowhere. The coach will change, coordinators will change, QB's will change, but the follies will continue. Same as it ever was.

Archived